Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 07:59 AM

8 posts, read 11,273 times

Advertisements

My husband will be working in Davie and my son (16) will be going to Calvary Christian Academy for school. I have read about Parkland and Weston but both seem too far away to drive to these locations. Are there other areas comparable to these near our needed locations? Thank you for any and all help! Also we are looking for single family homes, purchasing or rental at first. Budget is up to 700k or $3500 for rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 08:40 AM

3,188 posts, read 3,127,349 times
Wow, that's going to be a bit of a drive to Calvary Christain--it's off of Cypress Creek Road, east of 441? IMHO, the best city that is between Davie and the school is Plantation, but the nicer section is on the west side, west of University.

You've got a nice budget; I'm wondering if finding something eastside, and going more against traffic in the morning (which would have you driving west) might be better? I'm thinking the Imperial Point or Coral Ridge neighborhoods.

To be fair to Parkland & Weston, both are so close to the Sawgrass that either one would not be a terrible commute. And Weston is super convenient to Davie.

What is your goal? To drive to the school, drop off your child, then head south to Davie in the morning? Look east or focus north in Parkland. And by all means, rent first.

Good luck!

Old 06-23-2017, 11:14 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,793,522 times
I used to drive from Weston to Cypress Creek/I-95

For a number of years, I used to take Sawgrass Expressway to Commercial Blvd, then switch over via a short local street to McNab (which then turns into Cypress Creek) and continue East, right past the Calvary.

This wasn't bad at all.

Weston would be perfect for the commute to Davie.

Good point on Imperial Point and Coral Ridge (northern parts of it). But then commute to Davie will be not so good, but probably not awful either.

West Plantation is quite nice, might be the best solution.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:08 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,612,917 times
Is Calvary Christian an absolute requirement? There is quite a few Christian schools in the Davie area, your husband works in Davie, and your $700k budget is nearly perfect for a great home in West Davie - Riverstone, Imagination Farms, even Weston.

Otherwise, it seems someone will be driving.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:56 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,793,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Is Calvary Christian an absolute requirement? There is quite a few Christian schools in the Davie area, your husband works in Davie, and your $700k budget is nearly perfect for a great home in West Davie - Riverstone, Imagination Farms, even Weston.

Otherwise, it seems someone will be driving.
Good point!

Archbishop McCarthy High School in Davie is very good.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:55 AM

59 posts, read 115,004 times
Coconut Creek has some nice areas and is just north west of the school, but not as far north or west as say Parkland or Coral Springs. Obviously this is farther for the commute to work, but I did the reverse commute for years (Living in Davie and commuting to Coconut Creek/Coral Springs/Parkland/Pompano areas) and it usually only took 20-25 minutes.

Plantation puts you in the middle, but I was never a fan of commuting out of Plantation, depending where you live, most nicer neighborhoods don't have very good highway access (Meaning you need to drive at least 10-15 minutes before you touch the highway)

Old 06-29-2017, 05:45 AM

780 posts, read 456,991 times
Just to point out, there are other areas that have the suburb feel like Weston and Parkland but aren't so much west that you may as well be in California. Take Coral Ridge for example.

Anyway if you are deciding to live that far west and drive to Calvarly on Cypress, you're going to be spending half your life in a car. Is that a bad thing, well, that's personal preference I would think...

Old 06-29-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
Just to point out, there are other areas that have the suburb feel like Weston and Parkland but aren't so much west that you may as well be in California. Take Coral Ridge for example.

Anyway if you are deciding to live that far west and drive to Calvarly on Cypress, you're going to be spending half your life in a car. Is that a bad thing, well, that's personal preference I would think...
Weston and the surrounding area have more to offer than living "east." Other than being 10 minutes closer to the beach, I don't see the point of living so far east.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:26 AM

780 posts, read 456,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR
I don't see the point of living so far east.
Your opinion and lifestyle are not authoritive as to everyone wanting to move here, no matter what points you do or don't see.

Last edited by StarryKnight1; 06-29-2017 at 10:38 AM..

Old 06-29-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
Your opinion and lifestyle are not authoritive as to everyone wanting to move here, no matter what points you do or don't see.
That's why it's called an opinion, and was in response to your opinion.... FFS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area