U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 04:29 AM

18 posts, read 16,951 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Florida, my husband will work in Doral. We have been searching for homes to buy and finally found the perfect house. However, it's in Coral Springs and I'm just not sure of the area😕 We have two children who will attend elementary school and one just starting Highschool. I have researched and the schools get pretty mixed reviews, my husband said the area looks nice? Trulia.com has a crime map which I put our prospective homes address into and it looks like everything below southgate blvd is bad? Our home would be only 8 minutes from there? Is it really that bad?

Last edited by Tpoirier; 07-10-2017 at 05:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 06:43 AM

1,871 posts, read 918,416 times
Coral Springs has some very decent areas. It's a fairly large city with all kinds of different neighborhoods. That's a long commute to Doral, though. Have you considered looking in Weston, Cooper City, west Davie, or west Pembroke Pines?

Old 07-10-2017, 06:58 AM

830 posts, read 691,028 times
Agree with BNBR; did your husband google his commute? I know someone who is commuting from Parkland, just north of Coral Springs, to downtown Miami--it can wear you down.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:01 AM

18 posts, read 16,951 times
Yes, we've looked everywhere!! The problem is finding a decent 4 bedroom home with a good size yard and pool under $450,000. Home buying is very competitive in that price range. We've been out bid on 3 different homes...and that's us offering asking price or above!! I've told him about the drive being longer, his commute now is 30-40 minutes. This would be in the Ramblewod area of Coral Springs. Like I said it just seems to be closer to the higher crime area of I guess what would be Fort Lauderdale?

Last edited by Tpoirier; 07-10-2017 at 07:32 AM..

Old 07-10-2017, 07:11 AM

69 posts, read 41,882 times
The canal along Southgate divides Coral Springs from Tamarac and a small sliver of North Lauderdale. That northern end of Tamarac (and most of North Lauderdale) tends not to be the greatest of areas, but it's by far not the worst in the county either. I lived in the southern portion of Coral Springs near the border for most of my childhood, and attended Riverside Elementary, Ramblewood Middle, and Taravella High in the 90's. I don't know how the schools are zoned now or what they're like ~20 years later, but I can tell you that while the elementary school and middle school were zoned wholly north of the border (with only maybe a handful of "bad influences" throughout the schools), there was a noticeable increase in the proportion of "bad influences" upon arrival at the high school, whose zone included those northern areas of Tamarac. But I wouldn't say I ever felt "unsafe" there...The "bad" crowd never seemed to look for trouble with the "good" crowd, and tended to keep to themselves in the shadows. By and large, it was still an excellent school for the majority of students. Oh, and I can't remember about Riverside Elementary, but both Ramblewood Middle & Taravella High had been awarded the title of "National School of Excellence" around that period...Whether they are still deserving of that title today, I honestly don't know.

As for the commute from Coral Springs to Doral, I'm not going to lie...That's almost guaranteed to be a daily headache. Barring any accidents to make it even worse, on a good day in rush hour, your husband will easily end up on the road for up to two hours total most days.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:27 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,850,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpoirier View Post
Yes, we've looked everywhere!! The problem is finding a decent 4 bedroom home with a good size yard and pool under $450,000. Home buying is very competitive in that price range. We've been out bid on 3 different homes...and that's us offering asking price or above!! I've told him about the drive being longer, his commute now is 30-40 minutes. This would be in the Ramblewod area of Coral Springs. Like I said it just seems to be closer to the higher crime area of I guess what would be Fort Lauderdale?
In the current market (last couple of years), do not try to offer less if you really want to get the house.

Anyway, I was just showing a bunch of homes in Coral Springs to a client of mine, and we saw lots of very nice ones, in nice neighborhoods. But it was quite discouraging to see that you could drive less than 10 minutes on local roads and you would end up in some really dodgy looking neighborhoods.

The higher crime area you spotted is likely not Fort Lauderdale. Probably some dodgy part of Margate.

I used to commute from Weston to Doral, before the traffic got bad, and it was 40 min. Coral Springs to Doral would be about 15-20 min longer.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:55 AM

$450k is a very good budget and there is loads of 4/br houses in that range all over. You can get a great house in Cooper City with that budget in a very safe neighborhood in a great school district. No way would I be looking at Coral Springs considering your budget, house requirements, and commute.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...?fullpage=true

Please know that your budget can get you a very nice house in the best cities and school districts closer to work. If your realtor isn't getting the job done, find a new one. But yeah, I think you should be looking at Cooper City for what you want. Weston may be a little too competitive, too small of a yard, and Cooper City has the next best school district and what you want in a house, plus way closer to work. My wife commuted to the Doral area for years from the western parts of Cooper City and it's not bad at all. Really, you can find what you want in Cooper City for well under $400k - and it's WAYYYYYYY nicer and safer than Coral Springs, plus much closer to work.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:50 PM

830 posts, read 691,028 times
Your budget is about $60k on the light side for Weston. We sold our 4/2.5 pool home on a bit more of 1/4 qtr. of an acre for $508k last year--it was listed for $515k. Do your husband a favor and look at Cooper City. The commute is going to be brutal--the stress along is enough to impact your physical and mental health.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:25 PM

322 posts, read 246,148 times
My wife used to commute to Doral from Weston and she quit that job.

If the traffic is unbearable right now, just wait until the new mega mall that will most likely be built where i-75 meets the Turnpike is complete plus all the ongoing new developments along i-75 - Don't say we didn't warn you.

Lear more about the mall here:
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...n-miami-a-mall

Old 07-11-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRodriguez View Post
My wife used to commute to Doral from Weston and she quit that job.

If the traffic is unbearable right now, just wait until the new mega mall that will most likely be built where i-75 meets the Turnpike is complete plus all the ongoing new developments along i-75 - Don't say we didn't warn you.

Lear more about the mall here:
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...n-miami-a-mall
They are widening the highways and putting new express lanes in. If anything, traffic should get better, not worse. Looks to be finishing up this year or next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area