Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 11:56 PM

6 posts, read 6,626 times

Advertisements

hey all. I need some serious help here. My husband and I are in our early 30s, moved from the north to south miami 2 years ago and hated it (we are white and I speak very little Spanish but he is nearly fluent. Didn't seem to matter). Fortunately due to work we wound up in lauderdale for this last year and are so much happier. Right in the middle of Flagler village w/tons of new places opening up on the regular. It's really been fun and cool to see the area grow. But we are ready to be done renting within the the next year or so and I'm a mega planner so am already starting to look. I have no idea at all where to go. We love our apt and esp the location but are def outgrowing it and just generally want the privacy of a home and not sharing walls with anyone ... and makes more sense $$. Here's the deal:

-will look at places up to 600k but more realistically looking to spend 500-550 max
-no kids but hopefully in the future so proximity to a decent elementary would be good (we love our jobs and plan to stay for awhile)
-safety is crucial. Even here in the middle of FLL outside las olas I will get honked and hollered at walking our dog and I can't stand it
-above mentioned dog...some lawn/yardage would be nice
-at least a 3/2 pref a 4/2.5-3
-we are active people but partying days are behind us. Would like some options for eating out or shopping... don't need that city life but don't want to be dead bored where everything closes at 9 on a fri.

And now for the toughest part: we both commute to miami. (Originally moved to FLL for my husbands job which he wound up hating and leaving but we love the area!)

He has very off hours and so never hits traffic. Ive managed to secure some flex work and navigate 95-x at 9am and either 4-430 or after 6 and usually it's never more than 45 mins which is the most I can handle. But good lord the tolls!!!

We're trying to explore different neighborhoods but you really just never know. Looked at Cooper City last week, saw monterra... lovely but a little cookie cutter for my taste. Have seen some truly beautiful homes in Oakland park but hear the area is bad.

My dream location for here is a Victoria park... but we can't afford it.

PLEASE send suggestions I would be so so so appreciative!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 12:41 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,602,077 times
Check out Rock Creek in Cooper City if you like the area but want something less cookie cutter. I think it's one of the best neighborhoods in South Florida. For your budget you can grab something on the lake. But they go fast so keep on the lookout. Cooper City and Weston have the best schools in Broward. If kids may be in the future, you may want to keep that in mind. So yeah, my suggestion would be finding something on the lake in Rock Creek - very high demand for a reason.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:00 AM

3,145 posts, read 3,093,205 times
Check Embassy Lakes in Cooper City too.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:12 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,777,722 times
Hey Neighbor (I assume you are renting at The Manor or the Edge or AMLI? I am currently at the Manor).

I was going to suggest Weston - you could never go wrong with the home values there, and all the schools are good; there are choices of places for going out; in Weston proper and in the surrounding areas it is very safe and clean; very easy access to the highways to go in any direction (which could not be said about Cooper City). I know, someone will say "but it is Westonzuela". Yes, but I am Russian and have a bunch of Russian friends who live there. Also when I lived in Weston for 16 years, I had neighbors from all over the world - Canada, Germany, Texas, etc. I never learned any Spanish and didn't have any problems.

But then I wrote your comment about Monterra being cookie cutter... Weston is cookie cutter too, but as a city I think it has a lot more to offer to an eye than Monterra.

Other than that... If you want to stick to Fort Lauderdale... Victoria Park, Coral Ridge, Croissant Park, Poinsettia Heights, Imperial Pointe... those would be the nicer neighborhoods. But for the price, don't expect them to have a large yard and/or be in a good shape.

And I don't think you will completely avoid being honked and hollered at in Fort Lauderdale, unless you are in a very secluded, $$$$ area.

P.S. also please check my PM

Last edited by ruski; 07-30-2017 at 09:36 AM..

Old 07-30-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Check out Rock Creek in Cooper City if you like the area but want something less cookie cutter. I think it's one of the best neighborhoods in South Florida. For your budget you can grab something on the lake. But they go fast so keep on the lookout. Cooper City and Weston have the best schools in Broward. If kids may be in the future, you may want to keep that in mind. So yeah, my suggestion would be finding something on the lake in Rock Creek - very high demand for a reason.
thank you so much! we were driving around pembroke/cooper city a little bit today. we passed rock creek on our way home and didn't have time to pop in but it looked very nice. we did see embassy lakes which was lovely and stumbled into diamond head? nothing is for sale there but a quick search for recent sales showed that they were quite moderately priced for such big homes... i was surprised.

any input on pembroke pines? it seems so vast we couldnt really tell what was what... wound up down by the shops at pembroke gardens?

appreciate your help!

Old 07-30-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Check Embassy Lakes in Cooper City too.
thank you! we saw today and really liked it. interesting how there are kind of little neighborhoods within the big development. do you happen to know anything about the ages of people who live there?

Old 07-30-2017, 04:31 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,602,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.ric View Post
thank you! we saw today and really liked it. interesting how there are kind of little neighborhoods within the big development. do you happen to know anything about the ages of people who live there?
I think Rock Creek is better. And Embassy Lakes is much more cookie cutter. Bigger lots in Rock Creek and it has a very highly unique lake - it's large and actually usable. Everyone has docks, boats, kayaks, etc. It's an amazing place.

Embassy Lakes is nice enough, though. Just small lots and I think overpriced for what you get. Also consider the maintenance fee... it's only $45 per month at Rock Creek! Check out Weston, you may love it, but it's VERY cookie cutter and you get very little for your money. In the $500k range, I'd personally take Cooper City all day over Weston.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
I think Rock Creek is better. And Embassy Lakes is much more cookie cutter. Bigger lots in Rock Creek and it has a very highly unique lake - it's large and actually usable. Everyone has docks, boats, kayaks, etc. It's an amazing place.

Embassy Lakes is nice enough, though. Just small lots and I think overpriced for what you get. Also consider the maintenance fee... it's only $45 per month at Rock Creek! Check out Weston, you may love it, but it's VERY cookie cutter and you get very little for your money. In the $500k range, I'd personally take Cooper City all day over Weston.
thank you! i don't think weston is quite for us yet... will definitely need to look into rock creek. what are the fees for embassy lakes, do you happen to know? any thoughts on pembroke pines?

thank you!!

Old 07-30-2017, 08:08 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,777,722 times
There are a number of nice developments in Pembroke Pines and it is a fine place overall.

I also wanted to add a couple cents about Monterra - it was recently built, with hurricane glass, modern materials, etc. I wouldn't dismiss it because it is cookie cutter.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:11 PM

is there a way to distinguish better parts of PP? i found it to be confusing just looking at a map because it stretches so far and bumps up to CC... but also shows north & south along 75. sometimes addresses that i thought were cooper come up at pembroke, etc...

thanks for that note - monterra is beautiful and definitely not discounting it. its actually our fav style home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area