Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 01:33 PM

13 posts, read 12,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
We've since moved from SFLA but when we lived there, our vet lived in Sunrise (near Hiatus & Oakland Park Blvd.). Her practice is in Davie.

As far as your wants?
Low crime? Weston
Good Public Schools (elementary on up to high school)? Weston
Small town feel? Well, my husband has, and still does, describe Weston as a sea of tranquility amidst the South Florida madness..

However, have you given us your budget? That is a major, major factor. There is a section of Sunrise right across the street from Weston (I believe Ruski mentioned it in another thread) & it is nice."

We haven't put a lot of thought yet into our budget but as far as rent goes, we're currently paying $1200 for a 2/1 house in Cincinnati. However, we'll likely find a 3/2 in Florida once the baby is born. The good news is that through buying this practice, I would expect our current salary to AT LEAST double... which would give us the opportunity to explore the nicer communities.

Can anyone comment on what there is to DO in Sunrise/Weston? What the culture's like? Or is everything that we would enjoy all in Ft. Lauderdale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 02:28 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,774,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpearl.dvm View Post
We haven't put a lot of thought yet into our budget but as far as rent goes, we're currently paying $1200 for a 2/1 house in Cincinnati. However, we'll likely find a 3/2 in Florida once the baby is born. The good news is that through buying this practice, I would expect our current salary to AT LEAST double... which would give us the opportunity to explore the nicer communities.

Can anyone comment on what there is to DO in Sunrise/Weston? What the culture's like? Or is everything that we would enjoy all in Ft. Lauderdale?
Right next to Weston and Sunrise there is the huge Markham Park - you can do mountain biking there, or camping, or fly model airplaines, or skeet shoot, or have picnics, or go to the dog park, or...

Then there is Sawgrass mall with a bunch of entertainment besides shopping.

Weston, Sunrise, Plantation, Davie have movie theaters and plenty of restaurants.

Then there are nature things you can do in the Everglades.

The upcoming Metropica development in Sunrise will add more entertainment options.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:37 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,601,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Right next to Weston and Sunrise there is the huge Markham Park - you can do mountain biking there, or camping, or fly model airplaines, or skeet shoot, or have picnics, or go to the dog park, or...

Then there is Sawgrass mall with a bunch of entertainment besides shopping.

Weston, Sunrise, Plantation, Davie have movie theaters and plenty of restaurants.

Then there are nature things you can do in the Everglades.

The upcoming Metropica development in Sunrise will add more entertainment options.
Exactly. I think there is far more to do out west than in Fort Lauderdale, actually.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:08 PM

772 posts, read 450,645 times
You need a ~$200 membership to fly RC aircraft at Markham Park. The airfield itself is managed by a club.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:37 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,421,605 times
Sunrise is very different from Miami. Sunrise is a prototypical South FL suburb. Miami is a big city. Sunrise is mixed. The eastern half is very seedy, while the western half is affluent. They just built numerous massive communities and a downtown city center around the Sawgrass Mills mall area. This area will surely attract many new restaurants. It is still being constructed but mostly complete.

There are better areas of course. Weston, Parkland, and Boca Raton are top choices. Weston is located closest to Sunrise. It is an affluent well manicured suburb with little to no crime and excellent schools. Parkland is similar, but in a different direction. The downsides of Weston and Parkland are you are far from the beach. Boca Raton is further east, so you are no more than 15-20 minutes from the beach. Boca also has more restaurants, entertainment, and shopping. Parkland and Weston lack much entertain and shopping.

I would avoid Fort Lauderdale. The public schools are poor there. Homes are older and much much expensive. All the new housing being built are luxury condo buildings. Sunrise is only a 15-20 minute commute from Fort Lauderdale, so you can easily go there whenever you want.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:47 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,601,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Sunrise is very different from Miami. Sunrise is a prototypical South FL suburb. Miami is a big city. Sunrise is mixed. The eastern half is very seedy, while the western half is affluent. They just built numerous massive communities and a downtown city center around the Sawgrass Mills mall area. This area will surely attract many new restaurants. It is still being constructed but mostly complete.

There are better areas of course. Weston, Parkland, and Boca Raton are top choices. Weston is located closest to Sunrise. It is an affluent well manicured suburb with little to no crime and excellent schools. Parkland is similar, but in a different direction. The downsides of Weston and Parkland are you are far from the beach. Boca Raton is further east, so you are no more than 15-20 minutes from the beach. Boca also has more restaurants, entertainment, and shopping. Parkland and Weston lack much entertain and shopping.

I would avoid Fort Lauderdale. The public schools are poor there. Homes are older and much much expensive. All the new housing being built are luxury condo buildings. Sunrise is only a 15-20 minute commute from Fort Lauderdale, so you can easily go there whenever you want.
What downtown city center around the Sawgrass Mills area is "mostly complete"?

Old 08-10-2017, 09:47 AM

596 posts, read 1,234,536 times
Not sure the last time you have been in Sunrise but it has changed unfortunately for the worse since the late 70s when we lived and had family there, it's a different world ! 👎🏻 Sorry just my opinion.....

Old 08-29-2017, 11:56 AM

9 posts, read 9,498 times
Default Sunrise

HI, am a Realtor, selling Broward County since 1985 and I am a Real Estate Investor since 1987.
My point: I have numerous rental properties in Sunrise (Single homes and townhouses).

I am VERY happy with the City and property values. It is a GOOD middle income city, with decent public schools.

I see a LOT of Police officers renting or owning homes in Sunrise, while they work in Dade County or Boca area!!

All the best

Old 08-29-2017, 12:04 PM

9 posts, read 9,498 times
Default sunrise

Artesia is a newer community; offers condos (Hi-rise and 3 stories) and Townhouses
Next to Sawgrass Mall...

https://artesiasunrisehomes.com/

All the best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area