U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 06:12 PM

9 posts, read 3,932 times

Advertisements

Job would be near Dolphin mall, same exit, I'm not worried about the commute.

Any suggestions on developments/communities in Weston with a low HOA? We'd like to try to see as much as possible that's within our price range.

Is Plantation worth looking at? The schools seem to be rated poorly.

Last edited by DTW2FLL; 09-16-2017 at 06:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 04:48 PM

3,576 posts, read 4,896,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTW2FLL View Post
Job would be near Dolphin mall, same exit, I'm not worried about the commute.

Any suggestions on developments/communities in Weston with a low HOA? We'd like to try to see as much as possible that's within our price range.

Is Plantation worth looking at? The schools seem to be rated poorly.
Savanna - $320 quarterly.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:52 PM

842 posts, read 706,963 times
North Lakes, a year ago, $305 per qtr.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:53 PM

PS: You're correct about the schools in Plantation--elementary is fine, middle & HS--not so much.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:19 AM
Status: "Just a few grains short of a bowl of rice" (set 4 days ago)

104 posts, read 31,242 times
Not worried about the commute is what everyone who is moving here says. Then they do their commute here, and never want to commute again.

Just a warning...

Old 09-22-2017, 11:33 AM

4,368 posts, read 4,181,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
Not worried about the commute is what everyone who is moving here says. Then they do their commute here, and never want to commute again.

Just a warning...
Great post

Old 09-24-2017, 04:50 PM

64 posts, read 35,097 times
My in-laws moved back to SE Michigan a few years ago but have also made it back. They were in the Macomb/Sterling Heights area. The winter is just too cold up there! Cooper City is a great option. If you can handle about another 20 minutes to Doral, western Coral Springs may be another option. The Hawks Bluff/Ivanhoe area in Davie has a low HOA that is not too invasive.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferWessel View Post
The Hawks Bluff/Ivanhoe area in Davie has a low HOA that is not too invasive.
That is a neighborhood that I have been keeping an eye on, a good friend lives there now.

Hawks Bluff/Ivanhoe and the Shenandoah area seem to be the only locations in Davie that really have any decent housing under 450k. Those areas and most of Cooper City seem to be the best so far for what we are looking for. Any other neighborhoods we should look at?

Weston has a few options that have low HOA fees. The issue we've seen is the yard, parking and sq/ft are not good. It seems to be the same issue we run into when looking at Pembroke Pines, most houses in the 450k and under price range have a two car garage and barely enough parking to have two cars in the driveway.

Doral is a possible temporary location, as of yesterday it seems like the transfer should be going through and I may be placed in the Plantation office.

Thanks for all the help and tips so far.

Are there any other cities/communities we may be overlooking? Coral Springs? Sunrise?

Old 10-27-2017, 06:17 PM

How's the area of Plantation East of University that falls under the Tropical Elementary and Seminole Middle district? I've seen a few houses that meet all my criteria and more. There are a lot of nice 4/2 on a quarter acre with pools and a ton of parking in that area.

My only concern is what I've heard of Plantation schools, but both Tropical and Seminole seem to be rated fairly well.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTW2FLL View Post
How's the area of Plantation East of University that falls under the Tropical Elementary and Seminole Middle district? I've seen a few houses that meet all my criteria and more. There are a lot of nice 4/2 on a quarter acre with pools and a ton of parking in that area.

My only concern is what I've heard of Plantation schools, but both Tropical and Seminole seem to be rated fairly well.
Did you check the sticky in this forum that rates neighborhoods by desirability? (Looking at schools, crime, nearby amenities, etc). If itís the area Iím thinking about, yes, that is a nice area.

You have to decide what is important to you. The pros of that area would be the affordability considering your budget. Homes there check off many of your must/haves.

The cons? Well, despite decent ratings for the elementary & middle school, the high school rating is terrible. You must have seen that. Many families that move here want good schools from k-12. Usually with 9-10 ratings from Great Schools. A family will look at the price of homes in the area, add 3,4 years of private high school tuition and decide that the homes further west with good high schools are a better deal.

Another con is that the area is east of university. East is generally seen as less desirable than west of University due to schools, less crime & location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area