Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2017, 01:09 PM

13,993 posts, read 13,780,358 times

Advertisements

Can Fort Lauderdale become smaller version of Downtown Miami ?

"For many years, as once-dismal downtowns in Miami and West Palm Beach were transformed by sweeping redevelopment and an influx of fresh-faced residents hungry for some urban sizzle, Fort Lauderdale’s city center remained by comparison an overlooked patch of sleepy streetscape."

Downtown Fort Lauderdale is the latest redevelopment hotspot | Miami Herald
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 06:16 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,573,274 times
I think when the Brightline rail system opens at the end of this year or the beginning of the next between all 3 downtowns it will be a game changer for all.
Downtown Ft. Lauderdale has some highrise development going on as we speak.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:47 PM

780 posts, read 455,559 times
Outside of Las Olas, downtown Fort Lauderdale is pretty meh. It's getting better but it's still largely just condos and offices. And then there is the homeless infestation

Old 10-31-2017, 09:04 AM

1,049 posts, read 952,388 times
Downtown Fort Lauderdale has tons of potential and I have seen some development going on, but I think it will be quite a while before it even is at the level downtown MIA was at 15 years ago. When you think of it; Las Olas, Downtown and the proximity to Ft. Lauderdale beach makes the layout better than Miami's downtown IMO.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongStreet View Post
Downtown Fort Lauderdale has tons of potential
I agree with you, but the problem is that the development faces serious headwinds. Chief among them are the following:

1. The homeless population has exploded exponentially, and that is a major repellent to most people. The Fort Lauderdale Police Departments' effort to contain the situation have largely failed and engendered major controversy. They are all centered between the railroad tracks at NW 2nd Avenue and the park at S Andrews/Broward. It has gotten so bad that the McDonald's across from the bus terminal now has 24 hour armed-with-firearms security guards patrolling.

The fact that the downtown Fort Lauderdale is bordered by several high crime neighborhoods just compounds this problem.

2. Lack of public transportation--I'm not sure if FLL could support something along the likes of Miami's Metrorail and Mover, of course there is The Wave, but there was a recent article that said that project is years away from even beginning construction at best.

3. Lack of complimentary parking -- or even reasonably priced parking. This cripples the night life scene outside of Las Olas, and even LO could benefit from reduced price or free parking.

4. Lack of attractions outside Las Olas--This is getting better with the addition of several new restaurants and clubs, but if you're not into drinking, fine dining, or overpriced boutique shops, there is very little to do in downtown Fort Lauderdale.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:31 AM

Oh... I forgot

5. The Broward County Main Jail is located in the cit center, right on the water. What were they thinking???

Old 11-01-2017, 04:55 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,239,141 times
IMHO the homeless is a major concern for growth. As the wife and I walk down the river we see way too many homeless hanging around giving us an uncomfortable feeling, thus we walk that area much less lately, so if others are doing the same, what would that do for the possibility of the area becoming a hotspot. It is long overdue to find an answer for the homeless situation. We have a wonderful country that gives away so much to other countries and spends so much rebuilding but we cannot find the money to build or buy something for our homeless.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:59 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,023,423 times
I live downtown Fort Lauderdale and we don't want to be another Miami.

I live and work downtown.

The homeless situation is currently being addressed. One of the things they are doing is moving the bus station. Compared to other large cities, we don't have a problem.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:20 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,789,514 times
These homeless are always looking for one more buck to catch the bus outta here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area