U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 09:06 PM

44 posts, read 48,221 times

Advertisements

I posted this on the Miami board but was advised to post on this board as well.

My husband and I a white couple in our early 30's and will be relocating for work early next year. We will be working in Doral. We plan having kids, so good schools are important. We are THRILLED to be leaving NY. My commute to work in NY is literally an hour and a half to 2 hours +. We would like our commute to be no more than 40 minutes with traffic. Neither speak Spanish very well...I don't know if that makes a big difference in where we should be looking.

We can afford a house in the low 600k range. The Miami board suggested Weston, Cooper City, Pembroke Pines, Davie. Any input is appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 07:58 AM

3,880 posts, read 5,423,399 times
Hi shanny200 ,

Weston. This is the only place, really, that has everything you need and cushions the impact of the NY-FL move. Weston is a bubble of "nice".

I used to commute from Weston to Doral back when we first moved from NY to FL in 2000. It's not a short drive, but is very doable.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:44 AM

972 posts, read 879,675 times
Weston — leading city in SW Broward when looking at highly ranked public schools, city infrastructure and safety. Originally built by Arvida, which owned Disney at that time, and has that clean Disney look of orderly community layout and landscaping.

Drawback? $600k will go far, but not as far as in the other cities. Coming from NYC, you are used to different languages and cultures so the strong Latin American influence probably will not faze you. However, it’s not unusual for those who move from the Midwest to chose Parkland instead (majority Anglo city). But Parkland would be far for you.

Cooper City—Hidden jewel of SW Broward. Most affordable of all cities you listed. Drawback? Some would quibble about the ratings of the middle & high schools when compared to Weston. Since it’s not as close to major interstates as the other cities, have to deal with more city traffic before getting on the highway.

Pembroke Pines—would give you closest commute of all cities listed. Most desirable real estate is located west of I75. Schools are good, but shares Cooper City’s problem when compared to Weston.

Drawback? East Pembroke Pines. The eastern part of the city has seen better days. Unfortunately, it brings it down a notch, especially compared to Weston, which is uniformly nice, and to another degree, Cooper City.

Davie—further west is best (west of Pine Island). The downtown has a cowboy look and many communities play up that rural feel with riding trails and larger lots. Schools are good, especially elementary which is on par with Weston. The Bonaveure section of Weston & west Davie are zoned for some of the same schools. Also is primarily Anglo like Cooper City.

Drawback? Similar to Pembroke Pines. East side is older, has inexpensive student housing (Nova U & Broward College) and a few trailer parks.

Good luck!

Old 11-24-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Weston — leading city in SW Broward when looking at highly ranked public schools, city infrastructure and safety. Originally built by Arvida, which owned Disney at that time, and has that clean Disney look of orderly community layout and landscaping.

Drawback? $600k will go far, but not as far as in the other cities. Coming from NYC, you are used to different languages and cultures so the strong Latin American influence probably will not faze you. However, it’s not unusual for those who move from the Midwest to chose Parkland instead (majority Anglo city). But Parkland would be far for you.

Cooper City—Hidden jewel of SW Broward. Most affordable of all cities you listed. Drawback? Some would quibble about the ratings of the middle & high schools when compared to Weston. Since it’s not as close to major interstates as the other cities, have to deal with more city traffic before getting on the highway.

Pembroke Pines—would give you closest commute of all cities listed. Most desirable real estate is located west of I75. Schools are good, but shares Cooper City’s problem when compared to Weston.

Drawback? East Pembroke Pines. The eastern part of the city has seen better days. Unfortunately, it brings it down a notch, especially compared to Weston, which is uniformly nice, and to another degree, Cooper City.

Davie—further west is best (west of Pine Island). The downtown has a cowboy look and many communities play up that rural feel with riding trails and larger lots. Schools are good, especially elementary which is on par with Weston. The Bonaveure section of Weston & west Davie are zoned for some of the same schools. Also is primarily Anglo like Cooper City.

Drawback? Similar to Pembroke Pines. East side is older, has inexpensive student housing (Nova U & Broward College) and a few trailer parks.

Good luck!
You need to copyright this

Old 11-24-2017, 11:50 AM

This was AWESOME info! Thank you so much! Just curious on everyone's thoughts about how badly we are going to stick out in any of these areas as a non-hispanic couple? I'm OK with it...like you said, we are used to the MANY diverse cultures in NY, but we lived in mostly white neighborhood.

I'm so ready for this move...you have no idea. We have been trying to get out of NY for years.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanny200 View Post
This was AWESOME info! Thank you so much! Just curious on everyone's thoughts about how badly we are going to stick out in any of these areas as a non-hispanic couple? I'm OK with it...like you said, we are used to the MANY diverse cultures in NY, but we lived in mostly white neighborhood.

I'm so ready for this move...you have no idea. We have been trying to get out of NY for years.

I think the notion of sticking out is quite exaggerated.

Old 11-24-2017, 01:02 PM

972 posts, read 879,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanny200 View Post

Lived in Weston 20 years—non-Hispanic couple; we stuck out a bit, especially when we first moved in, not because we weren’t Hispanic, but because we didn’t have children. As the years went on, we fit in more as many of our neighbors became empty nesters. Having a dog helped—we made friends with some like-minded dog families, most with kids (although I was closest to another neighbor who, like me, was a married dog owner with no kids).

Old 11-24-2017, 01:19 PM

Awesome!!! Thank you. This is great info, everyone. Can't wait to get down there!

Old 11-25-2017, 03:31 PM

197 posts, read 80,999 times
Weston or Parkland are the only areas that will have what you are looking for. Keep in mind the public schools here are subpar, and even the best ones in Weston or Parkland would likely be considered mediocre or average by New York standards. The only real way to get a quality education here is to send your kids to private school, though prepare to shell out up to and over ~$20,000 per year in tuition per kid if you decide to take that route.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:08 PM

49 posts, read 52,693 times
Yes I agree with what the other members have mentioned about Weston, definitely you could also look into Southwest Ranches as well which is a pocket between Weston and Pembroke Pines.
We would like our commute to be no more than 40 minutes with traffic. Neither speak Spanish very well...I don't know if that makes a big difference in where we should be looking.
Where will you be working near, because some commutes could be longer than this especially if you'll be working in the Miami area.

Either way, this is a great board and many members here have VAST knowledge of the area's you mentioned!

Last edited by southfleddy; 11-25-2017 at 05:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or