Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 08:54 AM

182 posts, read 244,130 times

Advertisements

[quote=sunglo1;50715824]Maybe you can come up to one of your great Democratic stongholds here in Baltimore -and in parts of MD- and see how its going with regards to murder and shootings. Anyplace you have these anti-american goones -called the Democratic party -in charge for years on end you'll have pure hell. Thank god for Trump![/quot

Perfect example of what I mean! Democrats=high crime and insanity! period!

Wisconsin Democrat Runs for Office, Then Gets Arrested and Extradited to New York City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 12:27 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,616,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotandHumid View Post
Actually, when I first moved to Florida from Chicago, it was to Key West, where I lived for 8 years until the rents became too expensive for the rate of pay the hotels, etc. were willing to pay the workers there. The hotels and many of the guest houses started hiring companies that brought in workers from former Eastern Bloc countries and the former Soviet Union because the corporations that were making their moves into Key West wanted to maximize their profits by not having to pay benefits to full time workers and unemployment taxes to the state of Florida. The companies the hotels hired could keep their employees in line by threatening to deport them back home if they had issues with working overtime with no overtime pay, etc.

The housing market in Key West also got tighter and tighter and rents went higher and higher because the City didn't put any controls on the number of homes and apartment buildings that could be converted into guest houses, stores, etc. The quality of the housing went down because landlords could charge more without making proper repairs and doing upkeep. Sound familiar?

I then moved to South Beach and lived there for about 6 years until again the corporations started to make their move in and the quality of life again went down the tubes like it did in Key West with rising rents, low wages and a City government that was more interested in catering to developers and landlords than to the citizens of Miami Beach. A very tiny storefront on Lincoln Road now goes for about $30,000. a month to rent it and you're lucky if you can find a studio apartment for less than $1,000. a month. Minimum wage in Florida, a right to work state which means an employer can let you go with no reason given and where employment rights attorneys are few and far between, is just a little over $8.00 per hour.

Unfortunately, I didn't do my research before moving to Fort Lauderdale from South Beach. I didn't realize that this area has a very thin corridor of so called "nice areas" east of Dixie Highway with a smattering of "nice area" pockets in Wilton Manors and Oakland Park. Downtown and the area just north of downtown, has gone the way of Key West and South Beach, allowing for unbridled development while having an antiquated city sewer system that hasn't been updated in years. There have been recent incidents of overflows of raw sewage into the streets here and there are warnings put out after rainy weather about not going into the water at the beaches because of high bacteria counts from raw sewage leaking into the waterways that are connected to the ocean here.

There has been a White and African-american flight out of the areas west of I-95 to the point that my African American friends tell me that that won't go into those areas that are now populated with an influx of unskilled immigrants coming in from the Caribbean from still earthquake devastated areas of Haiti and hurricane devastated Caribbean island countries. So much for Trump's Wall across Mexico to keep out illegal immigrants walking across the border, Right? Anyone who bothers to get their head out of the sand and check the facts would realize that the illegal immigrants living in South Florida don't walk in here across the border between the U.S. and Mexico.

I've found that the mentality of a lot of the people here seems to be along the lines of, "Well, it's not as bad as it used to be," usually referring to Wilton Manors before the Gays moved in and opened businesses and renovated homes and brought the property values up there and put pressure to the City of Wilton Manors to clean up and landscape Wilton Drive and the surrounding neighborhoods.

It seems to me that the posters who complain about other posters who actually do contact city officials about doing the jobs they are elected and paid to do, are some of the same people who have kept Fort Lauderdale behind the times as they sit in front of their wide screen tv's and let politicians run downtown Fort Lauderdale into the ground allowing for high density high rise after high density high rise to be built with no first floor space set aside for businesses to open to provide services to the residents in those high rises causing the residents of those high rises to take to having to drive on our already traffic filled streets to go to a restaurant, drop off their cleaning, etc.

These high density high rises are also the reason that Fort Lauderdale has had raw sewage come up through the drains as no improvements have been made by current and previous elected public officials in this area to make sure the city sewer system can handle the increase of sewage entering the sewage drains here from these high density high rise buildings.

The reason so many of us sit so long waiting for trains to go by that can be put above or underground on our busy streets or hit traffic light after traffic light because of the bad timing of them here, or that we have to pay for parking to go to a public beach run by the City of Fort Lauderdale that won't provide public restrooms like they do on South Beach, etc., is because of the people who, instead of contacting public officials and complaining like I do on a regular basis about the lack of basic services provided here for people who are paying for them, seem to prefer to spend their time writing posts where they complain that someone would actually dare to point out the negative things that are increasingly happening in this area.

The posters who complain about other posters stating facts about Fort Lauderdale are the kind of people who have contributed the most to making Fort Lauderdale an increasingly difficult place for the average person to live in because of their own lack of doing anything to push public officials to make this a better place to live.

If they don't want to read posts that state the facts of what it's like to live in Fort Lauderdale, which is increasingly being threatened by rising the rising sea next to us and the canal and river waters connected to that sea because of Broward County refusing to address the issue, then maybe they should step up to the plate and actually try to make this a better place to live and spend their time contacting public officials instead of just complaining about others who let other people know about the perils of living here before they move here.
I lived for over a decade in Tallahassee. I also lived one yearin South FL. South FL felt like "Latin America" while North FL in the panhandle is the "Deeply Southern Confederate Bible Belt" (literally).
It was bizarre. The annual FSU-Miami game was like an extreme clash of cultures - white descendants of Confederates in the stands next to a Latin/Carbbeean Fanbase of Metro Miami. The contrast was bizarre.
I did not grow up in Florida. So when I moved there I was surprised that the culture gap was that extrme.
I left Miami feeling out-of-place. I am from rural AZ (LOL). I never felt at home in Tallahassee either.
I just moved back to Phoenix and have been euphoric ever since I got back a year ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area