Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 01:59 PM

294 posts, read 230,174 times

Advertisements

That's like saying ammonium nitrate had nothing to do with the OKC bombing. The government should never have regulated it after the fact. Now how do I get my yard super green in the spring? SAD!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 07:00 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,775,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwuno View Post
And you really think that if the FBI went and interviewed him that would have ended everything. The local authorities visited him over 30 times in the past few years. Part of our freedom and rights you spout include freedom of speech. You do realize how difficult it would have been to "lock him up" . Blame everyone and everything you want but it comes down to he legally had the right to purchase a weapon of mass destruction.
WMDs are not guns, not even full auto ones, not even cannons or tanks of bombers.

WMDs are nukes and chemical or biological weapons
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weapon...ss_destruction

Old 02-19-2018, 07:35 PM

294 posts, read 230,174 times
You didn't finish the definition "or other weapon that can kill and bring significant harm to a large number of humans"

Guess 17 isn't large enough nor probably Las Vegas. How about OKC? You use your definition and I will use mine.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:57 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,007,684 times
These kids from Parkland have single handedly made me the most proud to call Florida home.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:17 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,234,522 times
This explains who is really at fault, it could have been prevented, the system failed.
Quote:
Bad diagnosis, clerical errors, background check lapses led to missed warning signs before mass killings
Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz has become the latest mass killer who was able to carry out his sick slaughter due in part to law enforcement's failure to heed warnings of disturbing behavior and because of lapses in the background check process.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:09 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,624,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
These kids from Parkland have single handedly made me the most proud to call Florida home.
I agree. The kids from that school are very intelligent and well-spoken.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:42 PM

7,568 posts, read 4,110,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
This explains who is really at fault, it could have been prevented, the system failed.
That is not the only problem. I have heard from teachers, because I asked why problem children are not forced to attend alternative school, that once the parents find out who is attending those schools, they fight tooth and nail to keep their child in their school or another traditional school. Also, referrals are challenged by parents to avoid going the alternative route.

I read when Cruz attended Cross Creek, an alternative school, he was a very quiet student. But when he transitioned back to Parkland, he was out of control. He was out of his element at the alternative school and should have been kept there. Clearly the traditional schools needed help with this person.

Parkland shooter always in trouble, never expelled. Could school system have done more? | Miami Herald

Old 02-22-2018, 05:42 PM

16,979 posts, read 21,625,959 times
Quote:
Armed officer hired to protect the school did NOTHING:

The school resource officer at the high school took up a position viewing the western entrance of the building that was under attack for more than four minutes, but ‘‘he never went in,’’ Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said at a Thursday news conference. The shooting lasted about six minutes.

The officer, Scot Peterson, was suspended without pay and placed under investigation, then chose to resign, Israel said. When asked what Peterson should have done, Israel said the deputy should have ‘‘went in, addressed the killer, killed the killer.’’

The sheriff said he was ‘‘devastated, sick to my stomach. There are no words. I mean these families lost their children. I’ve been to the funerals. I’ve been to the vigils. There are no words.’’

https://www.boston.com/news/national...g-has-resigned

Old 02-22-2018, 06:28 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,234,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Armed officer hired to protect the school did NOTHING:

The school resource officer at the high school took up a position viewing the western entrance of the building that was under attack for more than four minutes, but ‘‘he never went in,’’ Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said at a Thursday news conference. The shooting lasted about six minutes.

The officer, Scot Peterson, was suspended without pay and placed under investigation, then chose to resign, Israel said. When asked what Peterson should have done, Israel said the deputy should have ‘‘went in, addressed the killer, killed the killer.’’

The sheriff said he was ‘‘devastated, sick to my stomach. There are no words. I mean these families lost their children. I’ve been to the funerals. I’ve been to the vigils. There are no words.’’

https://www.boston.com/news/national...g-has-resigned
Yup, apparently a chicken (cop), he should be sued for all he is worth, if anything, he did not do his job, he could have possibly stopped the carnage, it seems there were many things at fault, the FBI and that officer to name just two and also had a teacher or staff with training been armed, they might have caught the shooter off guard and killed him before he killed and injured so many.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:11 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,055,706 times
Quote:
It is not the guns, guns have always been around, IMO it all started when parents could no longer discipline their children and both parents having to work in order to be able to support a family.

Whatever the cause, it is a so very sad things like that are happening at all.
The h*** it's not the guns.

He didn't use a butter knife, a ruler, a rolling pin, a spoon, a bomb, or anything else but a "civilian" version of a battlefield rifle to shoot and kill 17 people.

These rifles are not for "sport-shooting" but for killing human beings quickly and cheaply.

True, guns (like revolvers, shotguns, hunting rifles, and even semi-automatic handguns) have always been around and, subsequently, have been used to murder people but rarely resulted in killing people in numbers that rival battlefield rifles like the AR-15 and AK-47.

You're entitled to your own opinion but your statement shamefully marginalizes the carnage caused by battlefield rifles like the AR-15.

It is very sad and reprehensible that we, as a society, accept the lie from hell that such tragedies are "the price of freedom".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area