Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2018, 05:31 PM

5,371 posts, read 3,387,528 times

Advertisements

I am asking a serious question here. Why does the gun debate always end up as an "all or nothing" thing? People who are for guns don't want to see any control and people against guns want to ban all guns. Can't both sides compromise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 05:43 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,146,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Kid was born 9-24-98 making him 19. Keep in mind there are thousands of 18 yr olds in the armed forces shooting guns to protect your freedom. That is ok though right?
I assume those 18 year olds have been mentally examined and deemed fit to fight and trained in safety and the proper way to use a firearm.

The fact that a kid who cannot buy a beer can walk into a store and by a rifle not needed for anything but military defense or attack is rather absurd.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:50 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,387,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I believe I have read that he lived with a friend in a trailer park in Lantana. The friend attended Stoneman Douglas. How is that possible? Isn't Lantana in Palm Beach?
He lived there after his mother died.

The woman who took him in was a former neighbor in Parkland who then moved to the trailer park.

Cruz left the trailer park and moved in with a Parkland student before the shooting.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:57 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,387,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Charles Whitman used top of the line weapons of the time for his attack. Those included:

Remington 700 ADL (6mm)
Universal M1 carbine
Remington Model 141 (.35-caliber)
Sears Model 60 Semi-automatic shotgun (12 gauge)
S&W Model 19 (.357 Magnum)
Luger P08 (9mm)
Galesi-Brescia (.25 ACP)
Knife

The police at that time were armed with .38 Specials and shotguns. 12 year old school shooters today are better armed, then the police were in the 1960s. BTW this is 2018, not 2017. So that ban was in effect 50 years ago.
Whitman grew up here in Lake Worth.

For those unfamiliar with him, it’s an interesting case.

The sad part is he knew something was wrong with him and that it was getting worse.

I have no idea what things were like then in terms of getting meds or help.

Of course there was nowhere near the availability there is today, so I wonder would Whitman have sought help, or would whatever was going on inside him have eventually made that impossible?

Old 02-16-2018, 09:51 PM

7,970 posts, read 10,537,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I am asking a serious question here. Why does the gun debate always end up as an "all or nothing" thing? People who are for guns don't want to see any control and people against guns want to ban all guns. Can't both sides compromise?
You're argument would seem to make sense at first glance. I'm not a gun owner (yet), and I actually hope I don't get to the point where I feel compelled to have one. That being said, we have seen all too often what the government will do once you give them a little leeway and a little bit of room to "legislate" your rights ......

And, in my opinion, this is the most corrupt governing body we have ever had, and that includes BOTH sides of the aisle.

Nope, not gonna happen.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:56 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,234,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Not these type of guns. 50 years ago even the police did not have the type of weapons these mass murders are using today. Somebody like Stephen Paddock could not have carried out his attack, when he was in school. The weapons for it would not have been available to him.

But even if you are right and the real problem is parents not disciplining their children enough, then laws should be changed to take that into account, and make sure these undisciplined children can't get their hands on these type of weapons. You can't control how parents raise their children, so laws need to be adapted to deal with changes in society.
Colt AR-15 was made for public use in 1963, by my calculations that is over 50 years ago. It is not the gun but the nut behind the gun, just as with vehicles, it is the nut behind the wheel or the drunk behind the wheel that kill people.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:05 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,234,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
These types of guns SHOULD NOT BE ACCESSIBLE and should be outlawed! 300 mass shootings in the last 3 years! But hey, it’s not the guns! No it’s the accessibility to them and the amount of people who can be shot and killed so quickly!
Weapon types used in mass shootings in the United States between 1982 and 2017
Parkland Shooting-capture.jpg

While one mass shooting is one too many, they have been going on for many years and it is the nut that causes them, not the gun. Lately they have been using trucks, so I guess next you will want to ban trucks too.

Old 02-17-2018, 02:23 AM

15,189 posts, read 8,774,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
You are only half right, that people who are for guns don't want to see any control. Very few Americans are are for banning all guns. So the debate is actually between gun control people asking for background checks before people are allowed to buy assault rifles, and gun advocates demanding no regulation at all. So the compromise is somewhere between background checks and no regulation at all. Which ends up being watered down background checks with so many loopholes as to be meaningless.

Old 02-17-2018, 02:53 AM

15,189 posts, read 8,774,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Colt AR-15 was made for public use in 1963, by my calculations that is over 50 years ago. It is not the gun but the nut behind the gun, just as with vehicles, it is the nut behind the wheel or the drunk behind the wheel that kill people.
You are distorting history. In the 1960s, when Charles Whitman went on his shooting rampage, even the Austin Police Department did not have access to even one AR-15. It wasn't available to them. Whitman was finally taken out after several hours, at close range with a 38 police special and a shotgun. Again school shooters today have access to better weapons then the police had in the 1960s. That is a fact. In the 1960s there were bad parents and there were mentally ill people, just like today. The one difference is that the crazy people in the 1960s did not have access to assault rifles.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:51 AM

16,979 posts, read 21,625,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I assume those 18 year olds have been mentally examined and deemed fit to fight and trained in safety and the proper way to use a firearm.

Your assumption is wrong. The military does have its share of misfits, society expects the military to straighten them out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area