Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2018, 06:40 PM

3 posts, read 6,106 times

Advertisements

Parkland has always been a great enclave in South Florida, but Im afraid now that when people outside of Broward hear parkland, they will immediately turn the other way. With that, I've always wondered what happens to a community/town after a nationwide (sometimes global) tragedy happens in that area. Here's my Domino effect of questions?

1.Will Parklands housing market take a mean hit as people typically would want to move away because of unassured safety?

2.Will/Would tax funds decrease because of this and eventually lead to the school being underfunded and cause the schools education to decline?

3.And because of that, will people lose faith and desire in maintaining the city and leave it to turn into a dump? Like inner city neighborhoods?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 07:03 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,237,241 times
People have very short memories, within a matter of months IMO it will just be a blur in most peoples minds, I predict there will be some who run away and others who go there and get the deals, just like the stock market supposed crash, just about everything is cyclical except aging. If I wanted to live there I would be looking for one of those deals and this event would not deter me from living here even one bit, but I do feel bad for the families affected and their terrible losses.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:06 PM

3,151 posts, read 3,104,490 times
My answers ...

1. SFLA is rather transient, so I don't see migration out of Parkland increasing. These are people, generally speaking, that paid a half a million bucks, even more, to live in a wealthy community with excellent schools, low crime and a focus on families. Where else are they going to go? Boca? Yes, Boca is gorgeous and offers more shopping and dining but is it's schools any safer? I don't think so. Weston? Ditto.

If anything, I think parents who live in Parkland must be looking at themselves and saying they did everything right--moved to a very wealthy area with beautiful homes, excellent schools and in a city that, for its size, is definitely one of the safest in the state, if not the country. It sounds trite, but if this madness can happen in Parkland, it can happen anywhere.

As for migration into the city, I think new families looking at SFLA might pass over Parkland for nearby Boca. Also, more of the other west Broward suburbs to the south, such as Cooper City, Davie and Weston, will get more looks. But it doesn't make sense--we cannot get away from the chance of violence, no matter what nice city you choose.

2. No. I think that Parkland will remain a solid choice long term for families looking to move to SFLA.

3. No. Too much pride of ownership and wealth in Parkland. Great location too. Beautiful, manicured city. I can't see a major decline happening.

Last edited by wizrap; 02-19-2018 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: Typed Weston instead of Parkland

Old 02-19-2018, 10:17 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,633,988 times
I dont think anything will happen. I would have zero problem living there and if the housing market tanked, I'd be tempted to buy in Parkland. It has nice spacious lots. Reminds of up north with the houses u can find on nice sized lots with space between your neighbors, but still very south FL looking. Well-manicured sub divisions, good schools, nice location. There's a lot to like about Parkland. This isolated incident by some lone lunatic does not reflect on Parkland. This could have happened anywhere, USA.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:22 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,860,831 times
They had a mass murder in Norway a few years back, mass shooting can happen anywhere and at any time, they are random by nature so I don't think it will effect anything in the town of Parkland. I believe Columbine named in a wealthy town of Littleton CO and I don't remember any mass exodus from that town.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:03 AM

16,991 posts, read 21,667,967 times
Nothing will happen......though 17 families may eventually move out of the area.

This school has dealt with tragedies in the past. 20 years ago a car with 7 teens from this same high school crashed into a canal, killing 5 of the 7. Another crash years later killed 4 teens from this school.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:40 AM

57 posts, read 58,658 times
Newtown, CT is very similar to Parkland in terms of demographics. Both are wealthy suburbs, Newtown with a household income of $127k and Parkland at $128k. Littleton, CO is not nearly as affluent, with a HH income half that of Newtown and Parkland.

I am originally from the Newtown area of CT and can tell you in Newtown, home prices suffered a bit. I know a lot of people who don't want to send their children to Sandy Hook because of the stigma. Outside of Connecticut, when you tell someone you're from Newtown, people gasp. I'm not sure if the same holds true for Parkland, but I'd imagine it does. It's terribly sad for the whole community.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:00 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,643,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlon View Post
Parkland has always been a great enclave in South Florida, but Im afraid now that when people outside of Broward hear parkland, they will immediately turn the other way. With that, I've always wondered what happens to a community/town after a nationwide (sometimes global) tragedy happens in that area. Here's my Domino effect of questions?

1.Will Parklands housing market take a mean hit as people typically would want to move away because of unassured safety?

2.Will/Would tax funds decrease because of this and eventually lead to the school being underfunded and cause the schools education to decline?

3.And because of that, will people lose faith and desire in maintaining the city and leave it to turn into a dump? Like inner city neighborhoods?

Thanks.
It was a one time incident that should not have any effect on anything as long as you are not simple minded and have some common sense.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:57 PM

3 posts, read 6,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by So FL Guy 1289 View Post
I am originally from the Newtown area of CT and can tell you in Newtown, home prices suffered a bit. I know a lot of people who don't want to send their children to Sandy Hook because of the stigma. Outside of Connecticut, when you tell someone you're from Newtown, people gasp. I'm not sure if the same holds true for Parkland, but I'd imagine it does.
That has always been my curiosity! I really hope that doesn't happen with us over here. I've seen a bit of a rise in homes for sale these past few months and that worried me a little. But I'm confident with everything, they will bounce back!

Old 07-01-2018, 07:05 AM

16,991 posts, read 21,667,967 times
After 9/11 did NYC see a huge shift? Did real estate get given away? Largest attack since Pearl Harbor on US soil yet soon to be 17 years later NYC is still NYC.

Parkland will still be stable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
View detailed profiles of: