Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2018, 09:41 AM

3 posts, read 8,568 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I moved a couple of weeks ago into an apartment complex in Jacaranda (Plantation) and signed a 1-year lease. The complex provides for valet trash service for $25 a month (which I thought was a good benefit prior to renting).

As part of the valet trash service, they provide a black trash can and have specified hours within which to keep trash outside the home (7pm - 8pm) Sun-Thu. However, the neighbors on my floor and pretty much every one in the building just leaves trash outside, all weekend. Since, the trash service doesn't work weekends, it is very embarrassing to invite people over to your house seeing trash bags all around, not to mention the stench. The apartment has in their rules a $25 fee for violating the hours of keeping trash outside, but it is obvious they don't take action since everyone in the entire building seems to be flouting the rules.

What are my options here? I can inform management, but I am not very hopeful here given how almost everyone in the building doesn't care. I am not sure how I missed this when I was looking at the apartment prior to signing the lease. Breaking the lease costs me $2000 and some more moving expenses, which I can't entirely afford, for no fault of my own. See images attached.

Is there a way out of this mess for me, or is it just a matter of me having made my bed, and now forced to lie in it. Are there any official organizations I can write to in case my apartment complex ignores my request. I may be overreacting but walking out to trash bags is just depressing me.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Neighbors leaving trash outside apartment all weekend-trash1.png   Neighbors leaving trash outside apartment all weekend-trash2.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 06:33 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,506 times
Talk to the management and if that does not work then call the city and work your way up to the mayor if necessary and if none of those work then contact Help me Howard https://wsvn.com/news/help-me-howard/

Old 04-02-2018, 06:48 PM

34 posts, read 39,051 times
I agree with Mr. Lee. Contact management and keep pictures on file to present to them if need be. Is there not a trash choute that everyone can use?

Old 04-02-2018, 07:44 PM

3 posts, read 8,568 times
Thanks guys. I sent the management an email and pictures of the trash bags lying around. No response yet. There is a trash receptacle/dumpster (common area) also where residents can throw trash, but these are obviously lazy and unhygienic residents who just don't care.

I lived here 3-4 years ago when there was no valet trash and it was a very good living experience. I kinda overlooked doing my due diligence this time I think since I trusted the community and was familiar with it. The valet trash service has meant no one even wants to walk a couple of minutes to throw trash out, and instead they don't mind keeping trash outside their house all day/all weekend since it'll be picked up sooner or later. This community is a right mess.

Thanks all. I will keep in mind to call the city and mayor. What's an adequate amount of time to wait before escalating this?

Old 04-02-2018, 08:04 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenal_fan View Post
Thanks all. I will keep in mind to call the city and mayor. What's an adequate amount of time to wait before escalating this?
Since it is a health hazard, I would give the management a couple of days at most, follow up with a phone call in one day to ask if they got your email if they do not reply within that time. Animals, ants, roaches, mice and even rats will likely end up an issue if nothing is done.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:56 PM

21 posts, read 24,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenal_fan View Post
Thanks guys. I sent the management an email and pictures of the trash bags lying around. No response yet. There is a trash receptacle/dumpster (common area) also where residents can throw trash, but these are obviously lazy and unhygienic residents who just don't care.

I lived here 3-4 years ago when there was no valet trash and it was a very good living experience. I kinda overlooked doing my due diligence this time I think since I trusted the community and was familiar with it. The valet trash service has meant no one even wants to walk a couple of minutes to throw trash out, and instead they don't mind keeping trash outside their house all day/all weekend since it'll be picked up sooner or later. This community is a right mess.

This sounds like a sticky (pun) situation to be in, I say continue to follow up with management via all channels, phone, email, and even certified mail - until they act upon it. Possibly even contacting help me Howard as Mr.Lee suggested above, as I'm sure no management company will enjoy having their lack of management blasted for all to see.

Hope this mess gets CLEANED up soon for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
View detailed profiles of: