U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 06:54 PM

544 posts, read 315,919 times

Advertisements

As usual on this forum, “Great Advice” is synonymous with “posts that validate me” and anything critical is labeled “bad advice”.

As expected, she moved here after brushing off all potential problems, insisting she knew best and her reality would see her through. Now she is here, complaining about those problems she claimed to be invulnerable to. Same old, same old Midwestern take. I give it a year before she moves back to the Midwest.

I should have known what I was getting into when the OP asked on an adult thread how to “downvote” something.

Last edited by MisterRice; 05-04-2018 at 07:13 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
If you don't like Hispanics or people speaking Spanish around you, and not to you, employees everywhere I've been in south Florida are at least bilingual, you should buy a home on East Sunrise in Fort Lauderdale.
Actually if you are so ticked off by being asked if you speak Spanish or Creole you really should avoid South Florida altogether and go to Gainesville or Lakeland, etc. Gainesville is, last time I checked, majority white and small-town atmosphere. You’ll never run the risk of being the victim of having someone speaking Spanish in your direction.

I’m pretty sure in Gainesville you’ll never hear something as distressing and disturbing (oh the horrors!) as hearing a non-English language being spoken.
Make America Great Again!

I don’t see this getting better anytime soon.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:33 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,340,186 times
You want to be in the west Davie area. Lots of houses in your price range. Shenandoah. It's central for highways and getting to work and right off 595 so quick access to absolutely everything. Good schools too. Coral Springs would be a much longer drive for no reason. I am EXACTLY like you. You don't want Weston, as nice as it is. West Davie is kind of the last place that exists in the i75 corridor south of 595 that seems to be majority English. It's an excellent place to be.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:33 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,901,431 times
LOL, you have clearly never been to Gainesville if you think that.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
You want to be in the west Davie area. Lots of houses in your price range. Shenandoah. It's central for highways and getting to work and right off 595 so quick access to absolutely everything. Good schools too. Coral Springs would be a much longer drive for no reason. I am EXACTLY like you. You don't want Weston, as nice as it is. West Davie is kind of the last place that exists in the i75 corridor south of 595 that seems to be majority English. It's an excellent place to be.
BNBR is usually right but this is off the mark because “White” demo often includes “White of Hispanic descent”, and, in particular this area, where my best friend, who is of Colombian descent, resides among a very large Bi-racial white/Hispanic cohort.

Honestly, as I said before, if one finds Hispanic people to be an issue South Florida is NOT the place for you. The racism in this thread is truly awful....

Old 05-05-2018, 10:37 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,340,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
BNBR is usually right but this is off the mark because “White” demo often includes “White of Hispanic descent”, and, in particular this area, where my best friend, who is of Colombian descent, resides among a very large Bi-racial white/Hispanic cohort.

Honestly, as I said before, if one finds Hispanic people to be an issue South Florida is NOT the place for you. The racism in this thread is truly awful....

Nobody is asking for "whites only" and no Spanish speakers. Plenty of Spanish speakers in west Davie, but it's, for sure, less Spanish speaking than Weston.

I think she is being misunderstood here. She isn't asking for a place with no diversity, just a place that is a little more culturally relevant and comfortable. In other words, somewhere that leans towards English speaking instead of leans toward Spanish speaking. When I go to the store, I like that English is the first language, it feels more comfortable. If I visit Doral, I'll be greeted in Spanish. Heck, deep into Weston can be the same. That's perfectly fine, but it's not a place I feel the most comfortable living in.

Why do you think there are areas that are majority Creole, Spanish, etc. It's because those buyers were more comfortable living there. It's the same thing.

Old 05-05-2018, 11:50 PM

142 posts, read 116,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
I think she is being misunderstood here. She isn't asking for a place with no diversity, just a place that is a little more culturally relevant and comfortable. In other words, somewhere that leans towards English speaking instead of leans toward Spanish speaking. When I go to the store, I like that English is the first language, it feels more comfortable. If I visit Doral, I'll be greeted in Spanish. Heck, deep into Weston can be the same. That's perfectly fine, but it's not a place I feel the most comfortable living in.

Why do you think there are areas that are majority Creole, Spanish, etc. It's because those buyers were more comfortable living there. It's the same thing.
THANK YOU, BNBR. Always the voice of reason. Good lord. This thread has become infuriating.

Mister Rice: Sorry to burst your bubble, but I'll be staying in South Florida until I die. Please, if you're so offended by this thread, hop off of it. You're nuts, and completely twisting everything that I'm saying.

And to say that I've been complaining since I moved here is hilarious. My last thread was a 6 month update of how great a move it was. You know NOTHING about my career or WHY I moved here. You know nothing about ME. I bet you'll faint when I tell you my significant other is Argentine. Don't you DARE make insinuations to me that I am a racist claiming to "be the victim of someone speaking Spanish in my direction." Also, don't you DARE suggest that I voted for Donald f*cking Trump by quoting MAGA.

You're so wrong, it's disgusting. Step off of my thread. NOW.

Last edited by MidwestBlondie; 05-06-2018 at 12:04 AM..

Old 05-06-2018, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestBlondie View Post
THANK YOU, BNBR. Always the voice of reason. Good lord. This thread has become infuriating.

Mister Rice: Sorry to burst your bubble, but I'll be staying in South Florida until I die. Please, if you're so offended by this thread, hop off of it. You're nuts, and completely twisting everything that I'm saying.

And to say that I've been complaining since I moved here is hilarious. My last thread was a 6 month update of how great a move it was. You know NOTHING about my career or WHY I moved here. You know nothing about ME. I bet you'll faint when I tell you my significant other is Argentine. Don't you DARE make insinuations to me that I am a racist claiming to "be the victim of someone speaking Spanish in my direction." Also, don't you DARE suggest that I voted for Donald f*cking Trump by quoting MAGA.

You're so wrong, it's disgusting. Step off of my thread. NOW.
Nope, you’re not a moderator, so I’m not going anywhere. Nice personal attack though. You’re not exactly in any sort of position to be making threats or demands.

And this is coming from the person who moved to Bal Harbor and then complained about being spoken to in Spanish. And I am the crazy one? Please.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:30 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,901,431 times
She's not complaining about Bal Harbour. She loves Bal Harbour and would consider staying if she could afford it. She doesn't love Hialeah where she works which is 90% Hispanic. What's so difficult to understand about that? Have you been to Hialeah? Would you live there as a white non Hispanic woman that doesn't speak Spanish?

There's also a vast difference in Hispanics on Miami Beach and Hialeah. The difference is class and education. The Hispanics on Miami Beach that can afford to live there typically have money, are bilingual or assimilated professional Hispanics that are 2nd or 3rd generation and prefer English. Not to mention it's a lot more diverse with a 50% Hispanic demographic and not 90%.

Hialeah is a working class Hispanic area with a lot of first generation immigrants but nobody needs to speak english to function. Good people but completely not what this poster wants with diversity.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
She's not complaining about Bal Harbour. She loves Bal Harbour and would consider staying if she could afford it. She doesn't love Hialeah where she works which is 90% Hispanic.
She was warned that this area was heavily Hispanic and brushed everyone off, assuring us that she knew best. Now she is here complaining that she is being spoken to in Spanish. Mod edit.

The only thing I have difficulty understanding is why so many people here make threads asking for advice when they are really looking for validation. Public Service Announcement: If you make a thread asking for advice, you’re likely to get replies that are not what you want to hear.

Last edited by Sunscape; 05-06-2018 at 08:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area