U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-30-2008, 03:51 PM

114 posts, read 585,905 times
Default Tourist has questions about Weston

Hello,
I am planning to visit Fort Lauderdale area in May. I have booked a unit at Vacation village at weston. I would like to know how far is weston from fort lauderdale airport and is there usually traffic along this route? Also does anyone know what this area is like from a tourist point of view?
thanks,
MP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-30-2008, 04:29 PM

9,409 posts, read 9,371,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minusach View Post
Hello,
I am planning to visit Fort Lauderdale area in May. I have booked a unit at Vacation village at weston. I would like to know how far is weston from fort lauderdale airport and is there usually traffic along this route? Also does anyone know what this area is like from a tourist point of view?
thanks,
MP
Weston is quiet. It's a bedroom community for Fort Lauderdale/Miami. It will take you about 25 minutes to get from the airport to Weston and unless you are traveling during rush hour you are unlikely to hit much traffic.

Weston is interesting from a tourist point of view. It's not really close to anything except Sawgrass Mills. But it's not really that far from anything either. Most of the businesses in town cater to residents, not to tourists. Most folks who visit tend to like that. There are many independent restaurants here, not as many big chains. Don't be afraid to step into the local places. Most of them are quite good.

Weston is heavily hispanic and you will find quite a few hispanic oriented bakeries and restaurants. Try them.

It will take you about half an hour to get to Fort Lauderdale beach, 45 minutes to Miami, 45 minutes to Boca Raton, about an hour from West Palm Beach. It's a little over an hour across Alligator Alley to Napls and a few minutes longer to Marco Island.

Weston is an affluent (not super rich) city and prices here reflect that. Gas can be more expensive around here. If you go to Sawgrass get gas around the mall, it's quite a bit less expensive.

Have fun!

Unread 03-31-2008, 03:21 PM

862 posts, read 2,084,942 times
Default vacation village

We have spent 11 days at the vacation village just 1 week ago. It has many activities for seniors and families. But I found the service to be subpar. I had hard time communicating with the cleaning crew through management. They only clean the room every 4th day. On the 4th day, we were expecting the service and the crew was in the next room. I asked whether they will clean our room, but she says no. Then I tried to explain we checked in four days ago, she says "NO ENGLISH" I called the house keeping and was confirmed for the cleaning, only later to find out the crew didn't get the order. So after calling the manager, we finally got the room cleaned. We got cleaning every day but had to make sure they were not billing because there was 25 dollar charge per cleaning. Guess what? The front desk had no idea of this and said we were fortunate. There is miscommunication in every level.

They don't have internet access from rooms. Only in the public area. There are tens of ppl with laptop using internet. Kinda funny site ppl working near the pool.l.

Unread 03-31-2008, 05:24 PM

Hi, thanks for the heads up. We are 3 couples in our late 20's and are planning to drive to palm beach, miami and keys from weston. So I guess our time at vacation village will be just to sleep in the evenings. I am a little disappointed that there are no chain restaurants...I dont want to drive far just to eat. I guess I will try the local restaurants. Can anyone recommend any good mexican, indian, chinese or american restaurants in the area? I tried to search online, but most of the results were in fort lauderdale. Nothing closer to weston.
thanks,
MS.

Unread 03-31-2008, 06:12 PM

326 posts, read 908,310 times
I would recommend you stay away from Weston. It has absolutely nothing to offer to a tourist, it is far the ocean (30' if there is no traffic, and rush hour can be awful), and the area around it is a sprawl of development with no charm what so ever. I would say pay a little more and stay along the coast. If cost is an issue, Hollywood Beach offers pretty inexpensive hotel stay on the Boardwalk.

Unread 03-31-2008, 06:51 PM

8,380 posts, read 18,712,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvolin View Post
I would recommend you stay away from Weston. It has absolutely nothing to offer to a tourist, it is far the ocean (30' if there is no traffic, and rush hour can be awful), and the area around it is a sprawl of development with no charm what so ever. I would say pay a little more and stay along the coast. If cost is an issue, Hollywood Beach offers pretty inexpensive hotel stay on the Boardwalk.
It depends on how long they are staying. If they are staying for the week, it can be a a quiet retreat kind of like a away from home, away from all of the hustle and bustle by the beach. And hey, some people fall for that Disney-like cleanliness of the place. However if it's a one week or less type of thing I agree 100%. But on the contrary, it depends on if they want a more exciting, action packed vacation or if they just want to relax at the pool and enjoy the palm trees and maybe see some stuff some days. The Bonaventure area definitely has a resort feel to it. There is a huge timeshare community here for a reason.

But I would like to add, unless you are talking about leaving at 7:30-8 in the morning to go to the beach, than the traffic is usually moving full speed and even during the morning rush it's usually at least moving, albeit at 35-40 mph. Not exactly stopped dead. Afternoon rush hour on 595 is what they are more likely to run across a problem. Although the distance is usually short (starts at about 441, ends at about University Dr), it can get stop and go on Fridays. That's a relatively short distance. On most days, it's just a little bottleneck on University Dr, and when I did that commute sometimes there would be no delays at all. It can also be completely avoided by taking the newly widened Griffin Rd. The lights are timed nice on there so you can pretty much fly along.

Anyway, the best Chinese I have had here is Parc 28. The food is good but I question their cleanliness. They had some Malaysian and Thai stuff too, but I still generally would not recommend. For Mexican El Mariachi in the same shopping center has above average food (especially for this area) and atmosphere. For American food, it depends on exactly what you mean. There is nouvelle American (which Weston drifts towards), regular barbecue/hamburger type joints, it really depends. For good Indian food, well, you are going to have to go to Sunrise for that. There is a whole row of them along the Oakland Park Blvd/University Dr corridor, most which are excellent. I'm honestly surprised Weston doesn't have an Indian restaurant, considering how many I see every day in stores/etc. You are also going to find higher quality Chinese food around there, and if you want something different try one of the Jamaican-Chinese restaurants or one of the really authentic ones. But I really suggest trying one of the Colombian or Venezuelan bakeries while you are here. Go someplace that serves what Weston is known for. There are also a few upscale Latin restaurants as well, representing various South American countries.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 03-31-2008 at 07:14 PM..

Unread 04-01-2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minusach View Post
Hi, thanks for the heads up. We are 3 couples in our late 20's and are planning to drive to palm beach, miami and keys from weston. So I guess our time at vacation village will be just to sleep in the evenings. I am a little disappointed that there are no chain restaurants...I dont want to drive far just to eat. I guess I will try the local restaurants. Can anyone recommend any good mexican, indian, chinese or american restaurants in the area? I tried to search online, but most of the results were in fort lauderdale. Nothing closer to weston.
thanks,
MS.
I like that there are no chain restaurants here. We get good food. Most of the local places are quite good. There is a Chilis and Outback just outside Weston if you must.

For ribs try Stevie B's on Weston Road.
For Japanese Japan Inn
For regular American Food Carolina Ale House, or Flanagans (which is a local chain)
For Mexican there is a place in the Country Isles Plaza (corner of Indian Trace and Weston Road). The name escapes me, but the food is really good.
No Indian in Weston that I am aware of.
There is a Chinese take out place in North Lakes Plaza (corner of Indian Trace and Saddle Club road). It's new. Name?????

Unread 04-01-2008, 06:45 AM

El Mariachi. That's the name of the Mexican place!!!!!!!

There is also an Einstein Brothers in that plaza for breakfast.

Unread 04-02-2008, 10:43 AM

Thanks for all the responses on the restaurant. We actually just planning to stay 4 days over the long weekend. 1 day in Ft. lauderdale, 1 day at west palm beach/miami and 1 day at the keys. The 4th day is for relaxing. I am not sure if it will work out the way we have planned..but we'll see. I am a little worried with the mention of slow traffic, I guess we will have to leave early.
This place was booked by my dad who lives in India..so unfortunately wont be able to make any changes to the resort as its non-refundable. But next time I will plan to stay closer to the beach.
thanks once again.

Unread 04-02-2008, 10:47 AM

8,380 posts, read 18,712,032 times
There is no North-South traffic, so if you are coming from the keys I would be more worried about traffic in the keys itself. The issue is east-west if you want to go to the beach, and most of that traffic starts at 7 and ends at 9:30 if there is any, and if there is it's only for about 3-4 miles. If the 4th day is for relaxing Weston will fit the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area