Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 07:09 AM

346 posts, read 1,341,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk22 View Post
It's true, the public schools here are not what I'd want my kids to attend. I don't plan on sending them to public school so that isn't a concern for me. I also think that if you raise your kids right and they're in the AP programs or other special programs like IB in Deerfield Beach HS, they'll be fine. I know lots of people that went to public school in not so great areas and went on to ivy league schools and other very good colleges. I think it's really how your kids are raised and the values you instill in them. I've also seen lots of kids that go to school in good areas and still never amount to much in life even with all their advantages, but the percentages are mostly on the have side though.
Man my views of the public school my son is attending right now is so different than what I posted there above a few years ago. After getting to know the teachers, PTA parents, and new curriculum at the school my son is attending. I'm ultra happy with the public school. They're implementing the IB program for an elementary school and that really made me happy. I see lots of parents that sent their kids to private schools actually sending them to that public school now. Many of the LHP parents, including us, are very involved with the PTA when it comes to fund raising and other school events. I was also afraid that they'd be a huge population issue with minorities. That isn't an issue at all. I'm not a bigot from what I wrote there because my son would be considered a minority. We're just not Black or Latin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 03:29 PM

233 posts, read 530,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
The number one problem is that they have rude people here, and sometimes, the customer service people don't wipe my (expletive) for me. Up in Jacksonville, they do not have rude people or poor customer service, nor did they have rude people here 7 years ago, and all customer service people people became lifelong friends.

Really though, all that needs to be said about LHP has been said. If you have the cash, not a total snob, and you love living by the coast, good luck trying to beat it. The number one problem is the public schools in the area, which are Pompano schools and are terrible. There are a few good magnet schools in the area if you can get in. Also, the areas around US1 are classically some of the worst in Broward County, and that particular area is very segregated in that the east side of US1 is over 90% white and the west side of US1 is predominately black. You won't encounter that kind of thing in, say, the western communities.
Correction west of Dixie is predominately black..... Pompano Highlands/Creshaven west of Federal are about 70% white with sizeable Brazilian/Latino populations. Also the schools for LHP for elementary arent too bad. Most kids go to Norcrest which is actually from what I've heard a pretty decent school. For middle school alot of LHP people sent there kids to Saint Coleman's and Saint Elizabeth. I believe Saint Elizabeth closed is that true? High school you have Pompano High and Cardinal Gibbons as options. I knew a family that sent there kids to the magnet school at Northeast. Also I wouldn't say that Pompano Highlands or Cresthaven are some of the worst in the county..... they may not be the prettiest areas but they are mostly working class white neighborhoods. There are FAR worse areas around the county. Anyway LHP is very nice. Taxes go up substantially if you live on the water. When I was younger my parents almost bought a house in the Lake Placid area but my mom found out what the taxes were and decided they would take up to much money that could be used for vacations/leisure/schooling so my parents left and went south and bought on the water in Pompano.

Last edited by sofla951; 08-29-2010 at 03:40 PM..

Old 08-31-2010, 05:56 AM

The public school choices for middle and high school are Crystal Lake Middle School and Deerfield Beach Middle School. High school choices are Deerfield Beach High School and if your kid can test to get in is Pompano Beach High School. Say what you will about Deerfield Beach Middle school from the news, but I'd send my kids there in a hearbeat if they get into the IB program there. Same goes with Deerfield Beach High School and their IB program. I've seen what the IB program is like in my own high school in St. Petersburg and the program and kids there were extraordinary. Crystal Lake Middle School from what I hear and know a lot of parents sending their kids there because of their magnet language and science program. They also send them there because some of the kids couldn't get into the IB program. If anyone has not heard of Pompano Beach High School they should realize that it's one of the top high schools in the whole state of FL because it's also a magnet program for programming and web design. Yes, I use to be afraid a bit to send them to public school, but I realize that it's not so bad after all.

Also, due to the economy right now many of the parents that sent their kids to private schools are sending their kids to the public schools now. My teacher friends at Norcrest tell me that the kids coming from the private schools aren't that much if at all ahead of the kids she has in class. She definitely reassured me that things will be ok with the path we've set for our kids. So, the perception that almost all the schools on the east side is bad does not apply to all of them. I get offended when many of the people here don't live here have no idea what it's like and judge our schools because of its location.

Last edited by dk22; 08-31-2010 at 06:18 AM..

Old 08-31-2010, 07:51 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times
I was amazed to recently discover that Nautilus Middle & Miami Beach High have IB programs and that Miami Beach is trying to get one in their elementary school. We would definitely have stayed on the beach had those programs been available when the kids were that age. Not only are the kids in the program extraordinary, but the colleges look very favorably upon these kids - at least equally and probably moreso than the good private schools.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
I was amazed to recently discover that Nautilus Middle & Miami Beach High have IB programs and that Miami Beach is trying to get one in their elementary school. We would definitely have stayed on the beach had those programs been available when the kids were that age. Not only are the kids in the program extraordinary, but the colleges look very favorably upon these kids - at least equally and probably moreso than the good private schools.
Yep! I have several friends that got out of the IB program and I can't wait to get my son involved with that. I was so happy to hear that his elementary school will be setting a goal to be IB certified and have started the curriculum this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area