Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2018, 05:01 PM

440 posts, read 517,062 times

Advertisements

I recently went for breakfast at one of my favorite non-corporate locally run restaurants, the Peter Pan, on Oakland Park Boulevard next to the train tracks by Dixie Highway to find that they have closed down what used to be their night shift.

I got there about 530a to find that breakfast wasn't going to be served until after 6am as the cook arrived then.

Knowing that this restaurant has been open for years and years 24 hours a day, I asked if the cook was running late and I was informed by one of the staff that the cook now comes in at 6am and that the restaurant isn't open 24 hours anymore.

Seems that too many problems had started up with customers on the late night shift fighting with each other in the restaurant to the point they were pulling knives on each other, or beating up each other in the parking lot or running out of the restaurant without paying their checks.

I guess one of my friends was correct in saying it's becoming quite rough in the Fort Lauderdale area because of the recent buying spree of properties in drug infested areas of Miami. C

With the popularity of living in the near north area of downtown Miami with several areas on the upswing for the past couple of years with new businesses opening there, a lot of people in Miami want to live where the action is so developers have been going into some of the drug infested neighborhoods on the perimeters of those newly revived areas and buying up houses as tear downs to build more new high rise and townhouse developments on.

With their source of income depleted by low income residents moving out of the area with money in hand from developers who bought their houses to buy or rent in the Fort Lauderdale area, the shadier characters have been moving out also to keep supplying the "needs" of their customers.

Considering that when the drug Flaka appeared on the market, Fort Lauderdale, with a population of about 200,000, had more cases of emergency room admissions and arrests due to that dangerous drug than Chicago had with it's population of around 3 million, Chicago being the city with the most emergency room admissions and arrests for Flaka use after Fort Lauderdale, it seems that the law of supply and demand has worked it's way up from Miami to Fort Lauderdale with one of the results being that the long open 24 hours a day Peter Pan restaurant had to close it's third shift down due to recent increases in customer violence.

There used to be a newpaper out called The Islander in Wilton Manors that had a regular tally sheet of the crimes committed in the area but it closed down. A friend told me that the reason for that was because most of the advertising in this area is paid for mostly by real estate companies and real estate agents since the closing of so many local restaurants in the area like Sublime and The Florida Seafood House that used to advertise in the local magazines and newspapers. He said it's sort of difficult to sell real estate in an area when people pick up local newspapers and read things like vacation homes being broken into and used as drug dens while the owners are out of town for the summer, people running out of the Publix at 5 Points shoplifting steaks and the like and police regular arresting people in the area walking through private properties or found sitting or sleeping on private properties with quantities of drugs on them that the police stated they suspected was meant for sale.

Last edited by HotandHumid; 10-26-2018 at 05:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 03:25 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,094,368 times
Flakka was a synthetic over the counter 'designer' drug from China that was never sold on the street. You could buy it behind the counter at 7/11.

It peaked in 2015 or 2016 and has pretty much been wiped out.

No one is buying Flakka in any parking lot.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:21 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,642,400 times
I ate at Peter Pan restaurant 20 years ago and I didn't like the food quality niether the atmosphere. Lot of weird people as if that was the only place as a magnet for them because I never saw such crew before in 50 miles around. Very scary place.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:49 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Calzadilla View Post
I ate at Peter Pan restaurant 20 years ago and I didn't like the food quality niether the atmosphere. Lot of weird people as if that was the only place as a magnet for them because I never saw such crew before in 50 miles around. Very scary place.
I did as well, and gotta agree. I didn't feel actively threatened as much as uncomfortable and on edge about what might happen. Waffle Houses (with truckers) and Denny's (with oldsters) seemed much safer and relaxed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area