Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 01:55 PM

6 posts, read 14,347 times

Advertisements

Recently, I've reflected on my 2 years in Miami, why my dating life is non-existent and what decisions to make to change this. I moved to Miami from DC where I had lived for several years - dating was decent there but I had enough of the cold and politics. To provide you some background, I'm an Asian-American male in my mid-30s with a strong income/education profile, athletic, outgoing, live downtown and according to my front-desk lady, not too hideous to look at it.

What I'm realizing is that in Miami, I am somewhat of an anomaly - being Asian in a Latin city - and not connecting with the female populace here. The latter may be due to the fact that I do not speak Spanish or have any deep knowledge of the latin culture, although I do like latin music and food. I have also not been meeting single women my age. Those that are in my age range, I almost always find that they are latina and have a latin social circle which is challenging to break into for the aforementioned reasons.

Over the past couple of months, I've hung out in Las Olas a few times. Just this past weekend, I was there with a friend who noticed the cultural difference, and asked why I haven't considered moving to the Ft. Lauderdale area. We drove around Las Olas, Oakland Park, LBTB and Hollywood/Hallandale. I very much liked the chill vibe of all these areas and started asking myself the same.

I am now examining the possibility of a move to Ft. Lauderdale. I work from home, so this wouldn't be an issue, but I am mature enough to understand that a move is not a panacea, that the grass is not always greener on the other side. Consequently, I am wondering if I'll quickly tire of Las Olas and if there are enough social events and single females in my age range to justify a move.

I have many questions and I know the more detailed the question, the better the feedback on this site. However, I am throwing this out for opinions and counting on the wisdom of forum members to shape the discussion. I'd be very interested in hearing people's perspectives and opinions, young and old.

tldr: miami latin, me asian, not ugly, no dating life, looking to move to ftl to fix this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 01:43 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,773,961 times
There is more to Fort Lauderdale than Las Olas.

There is the beach.

There is Flagler Village which is rapidly transforming and is attracting a lot of young professionals, and has lots of cool places to hang out.

Old 03-12-2019, 02:25 PM

That's true, in Miami I only hang out in a few areas anyways.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:02 PM

11,936 posts, read 12,993,985 times
I've lived a block off Las Olas for six years and haven't tired yet of it.

I love the cultural aspect of the Broward Center, the fun part of Flagler Village and watching it grow, I love being able to walk out my front door and hop on a water taxi and can go anywhere in the city, I love all the amazing restaurants on Las Olas and how the shopping is picking back up.

I love the beach at Las Olas. I love all the people and ALL the things there are to do.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:07 PM

11 posts, read 8,664 times
Know a girl lives down there.. hasn't really liked it much. There's always the dating apps (shrug).

Old 03-13-2019, 06:02 PM

Didn't know about the water taxi - that sounds very convenient and fun. I'm walking Flagler this weekend... is that the only mixed-use development? I'm looking at the possibility of renting or buying east of Las Olas - in the isles from Sunrise Intracoastal to Harbordale or along the beach. In Miami, there are about 4 nabes I hang out in and this is good enough... just trying to figure out if there's enough nabes in ftl where I can diversify my activities in.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:01 PM

1,332 posts, read 2,168,380 times
That's what I hear from my single friends that are younger. Everyone is on the dating apps and meeting people in person is more challenging.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:23 PM

11,936 posts, read 12,993,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traschpanda View Post
Didn't know about the water taxi - that sounds very convenient and fun. I'm walking Flagler this weekend... is that the only mixed-use development? I'm looking at the possibility of renting or buying east of Las Olas - in the isles from Sunrise Intracoastal to Harbordale or along the beach. In Miami, there are about 4 nabes I hang out in and this is good enough... just trying to figure out if there's enough nabes in ftl where I can diversify my activities in.
Flagler is still gentrifying so just be aware. At night it still has pockets of being sketchy.

Anywhere on the water behind downtown also, like Sailboat Bend, Croissant Park, etc.

Victoria Park is probably one of the best neighborhoods in Florida. Very diverse, young, old, married, single, professional, retired, gay, straight, families, etc.

I also like Poinsettia Heights and that area a lot.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:05 PM

Thanks, I’ll check out both Victoria Park and poinsettia Heights. Appreciate the heads up on Flagler at night, that’s what I was planning to do!

@logybogy- dating apps suck, I prefer old fashioned way which is why Miami is difficult... I don’t speak Spanish

Old 03-14-2019, 12:55 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,773,961 times
Up until recently I used to jog through Flagler to Las Olas and back almost every night, as late as 11pm. While there are some vagrants, and some may even try to beg for $1 to buy a bus ticket to get home, I never had a problem with any of them. Although I didn't run through any obvious sketchy blocks.

Besides Victoria park, another very nice neighborhood is Coral Ridge, along Bayview Dr.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bayv...hrome&ie=UTF-8

If you are on Bayview near Sunrise Blvd or near Oakland Park Blvd or near Commercial Blvd - you can walk to the bars and restaurants on those streets and also very easily reach the beach or establishments on the Intracoastal.

But Las Olas/Downtown/Himmarshee/Flagler is where all the action is. And the beach too. Mostly by Las Olas, but Mid Beach and North Beach Village also offer some entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area