Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 11:46 AM

46 posts, read 52,622 times

Advertisements

Hi All

I am going to visit SE Fla this Aug for 3 weeks to scope out the area and get a sense if I would like living there - even in the midst of Summer - I know I like visiting in the Winter.

My background is 50+ year old, single, IT Professional, divorced, no children, really enjoy the outdoors and nature but also enjoy urban conveniences. Have lived all my life in the Boston area and want to buy a place that I would initially continue a few more working years from (yes, I would need to find a new job) and then naturally transition that to my retirement home. I am not at all ready for the 55+ bingo, shuffleboard scene (even though I qualify in that age group). While not big into nightlife, I do enjoy going out with others, meeting singles and other professionals.

I have been to WPB and really liked it, but wasn't sure of its suitability for a guy who would need to get an IT job and wanted to meet other singles/professionals that were not all older than me - younger would be nice too. I have an impression that Ft L. is more work/city oriented, but I have never visited so do not know.

Lastly, I have spent time in Boca and really liked that a lot but was left with the impression that it is not practical to be an 'in-the-workforce' type person and commute from there - but I am not totally sure of that either.

Given that I am coming in August I assume there will be plenty of vacation rentals to chose from so was thinking through dividing my time across the 2 areas.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 09:48 AM

6 posts, read 4,975 times
I have lived in Fort Lauderdale for over 40 years. There is not a ton of difference between the two areas. You are talking about two neighboring counties. Fort Lauderdale (Broward County) has a larger population which would offer more available jobs and more events and things to do, but you are only a 30 minute drive from one county to the other. There is also a commuter train (Tri-Rail) that connects the two. You said you enjoy the outdoors and nature. As such WPB is a better choice. As you go North it keeps getting more rural. If you are staying for 3 weeks, that's plenty of time to scope out both areas and there should be ample rentals available. Good luck and enjoy.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:55 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,198,897 times
The difference is mostly in demographics. Broward is younger, more diverse, greater population, many commuters to Miami, bad traffic. Palm Beach is older, whiter less dense especially as you move north of West Palm.

What you prefer is mostly personal taste and what stage of life you are in. If I was single and young, would prefer Broward or Miami-Dade. If I'm raising a family or older, my tolerance for nonsense is lower and northern palm beach and Jupiter would be great.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:44 PM

57 posts, read 59,172 times
I'm not sure why you got the feeling that Boca wasn't "in the workforce". The city is actually very young and active, and rush hour is most definitely a *thing* there. Jupiter is more of an "out of the workforce" type of small city.

I'd really suggest you consider Boca. It's a good in between city, and there's no shortage of people who have relocated from NY, CT, NJ, MA, etc. You'll feel right at home.

Fort Lauderdale and Broward in general is young, fast paced, lots of Miami commuters and pricey. WPB is a bit slower paced, more spread out, and you'll come across a lot more retirees in Palm Beach County in general.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:01 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,027,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharepoint128 View Post
Hi All

I am going to visit SE Fla this Aug for 3 weeks to scope out the area and get a sense if I would like living there - even in the midst of Summer - I know I like visiting in the Winter.

My background is 50+ year old, single, IT Professional, divorced, no children, really enjoy the outdoors and nature but also enjoy urban conveniences. Have lived all my life in the Boston area and want to buy a place that I would initially continue a few more working years from (yes, I would need to find a new job) and then naturally transition that to my retirement home. I am not at all ready for the 55+ bingo, shuffleboard scene (even though I qualify in that age group). While not big into nightlife, I do enjoy going out with others, meeting singles and other professionals.

I have been to WPB and really liked it, but wasn't sure of its suitability for a guy who would need to get an IT job and wanted to meet other singles/professionals that were not all older than me - younger would be nice too. I have an impression that Ft L. is more work/city oriented, but I have never visited so do not know.

Lastly, I have spent time in Boca and really liked that a lot but was left with the impression that it is not practical to be an 'in-the-workforce' type person and commute from there - but I am not totally sure of that either.

Given that I am coming in August I assume there will be plenty of vacation rentals to chose from so was thinking through dividing my time across the 2 areas.

Thanks in advance.
Following bc we are a young, interracial family considering FLL or WPB areas as well...

Old 04-23-2019, 11:59 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,099,640 times
Downtown Fort Lauderdale has a big over 40 singles crowd. Lots do do and lots of non nightclub places to hang out day and night.

Fort Lauderdale Beach at the end of Las Olas is lovely (even amid the construction) and lively at the same time. It is a great, clean stretch of beach as it is raked daily.

One of my mid fifties girlfriends, who is a single hottie, moved to WPB from Chicago and was bored to death. She moved downtown Fort Lauderdale and loves it.

I think Delray Beach would also be a great area. Over 40 friends just bought a house walking distance to Atlantic and the beach and could not be happier.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:36 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,632,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibis1 View Post
I have lived in Fort Lauderdale for over 40 years. There is not a ton of difference between the two areas. You are talking about two neighboring counties. Fort Lauderdale (Broward County) has a larger population which would offer more available jobs and more events and things to do, but you are only a 30 minute drive from one county to the other. There is also a commuter train (Tri-Rail) that connects the two. You said you enjoy the outdoors and nature. As such WPB is a better choice. As you go North it keeps getting more rural. If you are staying for 3 weeks, that's plenty of time to scope out both areas and there should be ample rentals available. Good luck and enjoy.
West Broward has a ton of nature/outdoors type stuff.

But I would generally agree that there isn't a whole lot of difference between the two. I'd probably avoid downtown in both counties. Just overpriced with very little to offer. The suburbs, especially in Broward, are very dense/urban, and have a lot more to do than downtown with many more conveniences.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:54 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,825,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
West Broward has a ton of nature/outdoors type stuff.

But I would generally agree that there isn't a whole lot of difference between the two. I'd probably avoid downtown in both counties. Just overpriced with very little to offer. The suburbs, especially in Broward, are very dense/urban, and have a lot more to do than downtown with many more conveniences.
Depends on what you look for, but downtown Fort Lauderdale has a variety of things to do, within walking distance. And now, with the dockless electric scooters, it is super easy to get around and go to other booming parts of Fort Lauderdale, besides downtown. Or to the beach.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:53 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,632,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Depends on what you look for, but downtown Fort Lauderdale has a variety of things to do, within walking distance. And now, with the dockless electric scooters, it is super easy to get around and go to other booming parts of Fort Lauderdale, besides downtown. Or to the beach.

Of course downtown has things to do, just not as much as the suburbs. There is a reason so much development is taking place west of I95. New restaurants are now looking out west instead of downtown, for example. Havana 1957 didn't go to downtown Miami or downtown Ft Lauderdale when they expanded off South Beach... they went to Pembroke Pines. Same with a lot of the Weston restaurants like Bellini, Angelo Elia, etc.

But when someone says they want urban convenience but likes nature, the western cities seem like a no brainer. Way better access to the stores and things you want, cheaper, more nature, more space, and the beach is still just a short hop away.

Nobody goes downtown anymore like they did 20 years ago.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:52 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,825,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Of course downtown has things to do, just not as much as the suburbs. There is a reason so much development is taking place west of I95. New restaurants are now looking out west instead of downtown, for example. Havana 1957 didn't go to downtown Miami or downtown Ft Lauderdale when they expanded off South Beach... they went to Pembroke Pines. Same with a lot of the Weston restaurants like Bellini, Angelo Elia, etc.

But when someone says they want urban convenience but likes nature, the western cities seem like a no brainer. Way better access to the stores and things you want, cheaper, more nature, more space, and the beach is still just a short hop away.

Nobody goes downtown anymore like they did 20 years ago.
Oh, man, you need to check out downtown Fort Lauderdale some time soon and get updated on the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area