Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 03:54 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,632,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
The ocean was stunning yesterday.
Today, too. At least the first half of the day. Wind switched and it picked up in the afternoon a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 08:53 AM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
The thread is about the beaches in Florida - not global climate change, Russian immigration, or whatever else. Off-topic posts deleted.

Old 09-24-2019, 02:20 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Water is nasty looking today. Reminds me of the coast of Mississippi or an actual river water beach. Did they release water from Lake O?

Old 09-24-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Water is nasty looking today. Reminds me of the coast of Mississippi or an actual river water beach. Did they release water from Lake O?

Did you not notice the waves and wind while you were standing there and taking the picture?

Old 09-24-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Did you not notice the waves and wind while you were standing there and taking the picture?

Wind shouldn't turn it that color. I know they release algae laden water from that lake when the water gets close to the top of the levees.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:

i'm snakebit now. Everytime I'm there it is either windy or rainy which discolors the water. I'm hoping Dec thru Feb, without seaweed hopefully with lower water temps and less algae will look better.

On a side note, I have found a beach camera in Deerfield Beach and the water there looks great even yesterday while Fort Lau didn't. I do think Fort Lauderdale is too close to that Port Everglades inlet. Deerfield looks like Miami Beach water color.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:22 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,826,853 times
Quote:
Wind shouldn't turn it that color. I know they release algae laden water from that lake when the water gets close to the top of the levees.
Lake Okechobee release isn't anywhere near South Florida.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:11 PM

18,439 posts, read 8,268,923 times
Quote:
i'm snakebit now. Everytime I'm there it is either windy or rainy which discolors the water.
LOL...it's Murphy..Tom

We have neighbors with a vacation home here....there's a running joke...every time they come down it's blowing, raining, cloudy, cold...something...every time...and it starts the day they get here

...and the entire week before they get here was absolutely beautiful and perfect

Old 09-25-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Lake Okechobee release isn't anywhere near South Florida.
Miami River and New River both go straight to Okeechobee, to be fair. I'm not super familiar with release of Okeechobee, but I thought they mostly do that through the Caloosahatchee and directly in to the Everglades, right?

Anyways, yes, the water color has to do with wind/waves/currents, etc. The water is darker with sediment from the intracoastal in FLL area and as the tide takes it out, the current can and does move it towards the beaches. Could be north, could be south, could be not at all. Happens all the time where it's clear one side and murky the other.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:52 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
Miami River and New River both go straight to Okeechobee, to be fair. I'm not super familiar with release of Okeechobee, but I thought they mostly do that through the Caloosahatchee and directly in to the Everglades, right?

Anyways, yes, the water color has to do with wind/waves/currents, etc. The water is darker with sediment from the intracoastal in FLL area and as the tide takes it out, the current can and does move it towards the beaches. Could be north, could be south, could be not at all. Happens all the time where it's clear one side and murky the other.
Yes, it is released into the Everglades. Too far for it to travel to make it to us.

The current was really ripping today. It would have been miserable out on a boat.

I'm not sure Tom understands the correlation between the wind, the current, water temps, and water clarity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area