Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 07:49 AM

59 posts, read 218,029 times

Advertisements

I have been in south florida for 7 years and if you think things are not changing rapidly take a look around, the demographics have changed and people are doing the same things here that they do on the islands they come from ie: raising farm animals , laundry hanging all over and I have even witnessed people urinating right out in public with no consideration to women and children lol wake up people !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 08:14 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,303,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch1156 View Post
I have been in south florida for 7 years and if you think things are not changing rapidly take a look around, the demographics have changed and people are doing the same things here that they do on the islands they come from ie: raising farm animals , laundry hanging all over and I have even witnessed people urinating right out in public with no consideration to women and children lol wake up people !
yeah cause American's don't urinate in public :S

Old 06-13-2008, 12:21 PM

maybe we do behind bush or something but not right on oakland park blvd at lunch time and the person was of some island decent

Old 06-13-2008, 12:28 PM

134 posts, read 384,480 times
You know this site is of limited usefulness. Why would some of us do so? Well SOME of us have not lived in Florida our whole lives and become bitter and resistant to the change that has occured where you watch the news and hear about robberies or whatever. The media will always find horror shows to report on. Also some of us are not racist and welcome diversity. Also some of us don't have big time career jobs where we are at and have absolutely nothing to lose by coming to a place with a year-round outdoor and beach climate. Many of us are people persons so we are happy to live in a shared apartment situation. not everyone is tied down with kids and families you know. Also not many of us are really even looking to own land or housing.

So given all of that we have to sit and listen to you people complain and complain and complain about things that simply don't even matter and have you blow it out of porportion. It's highly irritating. The fact is that either you want to live in a happening place and be a little more strapped for cash, or you want to live in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do and no job variety. People should really try to look past their own agenda's and ego's and truely help people looking to move to a place on a condition by condition basis. Not everyone is caught up in your problems. This site seems like more of a place for middle aged med and women to vent and complain than a site to help others to get critical information in order to relocate.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:01 PM

6,869 posts, read 11,179,433 times
Smile Florida - business climate

Florida is #2 as far as business friendly. North Carolina is #1.

I am taking some classes online and am finding it very interesting how many large firms are headquartered in Orlando! Very different types too.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:06 PM

6,869 posts, read 11,179,433 times
Smile An idea ....

One of my nieces just graduated from high school. Such a good student and good all around. She applied to UCF, UF and FAU. Got in UCF and FAU. Was going to go to UCF but is getting second thoughts b/c she wants to eventually go to law school and she has exposure to the field here. Anyway, she just got 3 great scholarships and Presidential Honors for FAU! The scholarship group will mentor her and provide her with opportunities throughout her educational journey - undergrad and grad.

She never knew all these opportunities existed.

I'm sure that is the same for businesses. I just read a firm in Deerfield, I think, was chosen as Entrepreneur of the Year (China Direct?).

Old 06-13-2008, 01:21 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,303,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Florida is #2 as far as business friendly. North Carolina is #1.

I am taking some classes online and am finding it very interesting how many large firms are headquartered in Orlando! Very different types too.
where was this ? Secondly the topic is S. Florida, not the entire state of Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack wild View Post
You know this site is of limited usefulness. Why would some of us do so? Well SOME of us have not lived in Florida our whole lives and become bitter and resistant to the change that has occured where you watch the news and hear about robberies or whatever. The media will always find horror shows to report on. Also some of us are not racist and welcome diversity. Also some of us don't have big time career jobs where we are at and have absolutely nothing to lose by coming to a place with a year-round outdoor and beach climate. Many of us are people persons so we are happy to live in a shared apartment situation. not everyone is tied down with kids and families you know. Also not many of us are really even looking to own land or housing.

So given all of that we have to sit and listen to you people complain and complain and complain about things that simply don't even matter and have you blow it out of porportion. It's highly irritating. The fact is that either you want to live in a happening place and be a little more strapped for cash, or you want to live in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do and no job variety. People should really try to look past their own agenda's and ego's and truely help people looking to move to a place on a condition by condition basis. Not everyone is caught up in your problems. This site seems like more of a place for middle aged med and women to vent and complain than a site to help others to get critical information in order to relocate.
where to begin. meh, never mind.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:31 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,791,139 times
Quote:
maybe we do behind bush or something but not right on oakland park blvd at lunch time and the person was of some island decent
How do you know he was of island descent? Oakland Park Blvd goes through a classically blighted area so there was a good chance that the guy was a homeless fourth generation black American if he "looked" (ugh) to be of "island descent". Also, one time I had myself a nice **** (doesn't that "sound" British?) on a busy street in lower Manhattan (couldn't find a bathroom!), didn't know what to do. I'm a born American and so is most of my immediate family, but it's ok I guess, my **** is American, the stream was red white and blue! I'm not a slob either, in fact I'm a borderline metrosexual.

Point being, you didn't even convince me that this is a trend thing. "The person" indicates one individual that happened to be of perceived island descent. If you want to go back to Fort Lauderdale in the spring break days however, you could find many privileged white Americans pissing off of balconies at Fort Lauderdale Beach on any given day.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:58 PM

Default point taken!

read the demographics and look to what they say about the next 5 years for broward county and that will tell you all you need to know ! at any rate I have no intentions of sticking around and having other languages and such shoved down my throat and just because your poor is no excuse for bad behavior,even if thats what they do where you grew up and I am quite sure there are many people in aggreement...

Old 06-14-2008, 12:45 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,223,828 times
Quote:
Well, to be fair, there are cultural differences when it comes to things such as this. For example, in countries like Guatemala people often just throw their trash wherever they can; you won't find garbage cans. Many of them come over here and carry on the same mentality.

Last edited by PBCboy; 06-14-2008 at 12:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area