Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 12:44 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,011,955 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are one of those Floridians who hate the beach! lol! We think it's very pretty to walk around the areas, but hate the sand. We much prefer sitting by and or dipping/swimming in a nice big pool! We live in Sunrise. So we go to the City of Sunrise or the City of Tamarac pool. Plus we have kids. So we also spend a lot of our time at all the waterparks.

How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 05:57 PM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,927 times
Smile Ain't No Creatures in the Pool

Definately the pool...of course kids prefer the ocean...but since you are in charge for now....it will have to be the pool....on a recent trip to Fort Lauderdale...(April 08)...there was a tiger shark spotted in the water...... and the beach was closed for several days...when talking to one of the deputies on the beach...he commented...that if you every knew what was in the water off the beach...you would never go in the ocean again...adding an additional comment...that they - the sheriff's department does not fly over the water to look at the girls - they are looking for things in the water...a great comfort.....

I know there will be arguements on both sides of this issue...but for me...it's the pool and like I said above....Ain't No Creatures in the Pool... other than the human ones.....

Old 06-09-2008, 06:23 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,244,923 times
pool, pool, pool.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:25 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
You have a much, much higher chance of getting mugged in the parking lot at the community pool than you have of getting attacked by a shark at the beach. Actually, the process of avoiding trouble in the ocean is similar to the process of avoiding crime on land. Always be aware of your surroundings, don't do anything stupid, and don't go someplace that feels beyond your limits, and you will be fine, although it isn't even nearly as dangerous as that. You will notice a common trend; the majority of (certainly not all) people who fall victim to critters at sea are morons who either provoked it or pushed themselves too far out without bothering to take a good look around them. The ocean is not 100% safe haven of a pool with a lifeguard (kind of like the aqua equivalent of being in a guarded gated community in Weston), but I will personally continue risking my life at the ocean, since I'm risking my life way more when I get into the car and drive home anyway. Risk is so much more fun. Oh, and the babes are usually hotter too.

Plus good luck body surfing in a pool.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:13 PM

Wow! A tiger shark? YIKES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
Definately the pool...of course kids prefer the ocean...but since you are in charge for now....it will have to be the pool....on a recent trip to Fort Lauderdale...(April 08)...there was a tiger shark spotted in the water...... and the beach was closed for several days...when talking to one of the deputies on the beach...he commented...that if you every knew what was in the water off the beach...you would never go in the ocean again...adding an additional comment...that they - the sheriff's department does not fly over the water to look at the girls - they are looking for things in the water...a great comfort.....

I know there will be arguements on both sides of this issue...but for me...it's the pool and like I said above....Ain't No Creatures in the Pool... other than the human ones.....

Old 06-09-2008, 07:33 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,244,923 times
I hate sand. VERY much so.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:58 PM

14 posts, read 31,899 times
I like the beach every once in the while, but pool works for me! But its nice to know the beach is near and my kids love it!

Rich Scott
Mod deleted

Last edited by sunrico90; 06-13-2008 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: link not allowed

Old 06-10-2008, 05:27 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,029 times
I don't actually have a preference. I live directly on the beach however my bldg has a great pool right next to the beach.
I guess it just depends on my mood, sometimes sand seems like more of a bother. Tracking it back into my condo etc. Another HUGE contributing factor is how many people are at our pool. If it's crowded, I'll head out to the beach where it's a little more private. If there are ANY kids at my pool, I'm definately headed to the beach. Kids pee in the pool! Eeeewwwww, pass on that.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:38 PM

...and you think kids don't pee in the water at the beach?

If there are ANY kids at my pool, I'm definately headed to the beach. Kids pee in the pool! Eeeewwwww, pass on that.[/quote]

Old 06-10-2008, 08:22 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
...and you think kids don't pee in the water at the beach?

If there are ANY kids at my pool, I'm definately headed to the beach. Kids pee in the pool! Eeeewwwww, pass on that.
[/quote]

LOL, no I'm sure they do however there's something about that tidal stuff that makes it seem 'cleaner'. At least the ocean is constantly moving vs just sitting there growing stuff I don't need to know about.

Okay, and nobody needs to post any links regarding the cleanliness of the water quality of the beach. I'm better off NOT knowing what those big mega yachts/ cruise ships and freighters are dumping off shore.

As far as things swimming in the ocean with me, I've seen plenty of sea life! Mostly just fish but also a lot of rays. HUGE ones!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area