U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 07-04-2008, 03:21 AM

56 posts, read 174,898 times
Default Relocating from Eastern Europe

Hi! I've surfed through the numerous threads but didn't find suggestions approaching to my situation. I'm going to relocate from Eastern Europe to South Florida by the intracorporate transfer. My son is 10 and my daughter will be two. My oldest is bright in math and painting but not fluent in English. He has just basic skills. I'm considering both public and private schools but some doubts are cast upon the choice. I'm afraid he will be behind in studing of main disciplines with his poor language. Besides, I worry about snobbery of natives that he can feel upon himself. I made research in Weston and nearest areas and have liked them. But these areas looks so diverse. I and my kids grew up in monoracial area. I'm afraid, they can have a cultural shock. I'm not a racist and I don't want my kids to fall a prey to discrimination. I'll be appreciative for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-04-2008, 04:12 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,397,677 times
I don't know anything about schools and kids in So Fl but I do know about moving here from another country. It is likely your family will love it and thrive if you can find a solution to the language help. I think the baby will be fine, start teaching her simple words now. Apple, dog etc. She won't' even notice cultural differences. Although when my son was 4 he told me he loved going to this barbeque in the downtown city with his dad because all the brown people were fun. LOL....it was very cute and he's been totally without any prejudice his whole life. He's 28.

Other people here know about such things and will have answers.

My husband came here for the University of Pennsylvania with almost no English and only a dream to be accepted there. He was a high achiever in Greece where there were 8000 applicants for only 800 positions.

But there was no way he could attend here, he didnt pass the TOEFL (sp) for Wharton School. Meanwhile, he found an Armenian who tutored him to the level of math he needed to be accepted into the school of Engineering.It took one summer.

(Armenians are sympatico with Greek/ anti Turk LOL) He met him just hanging out in the school library and they are lifelong friends now because that kid gave him his entire future. Better than marrying for a green card LOL.

My point is, be creative. I would first contact the schools for advise. Then I would find a English as a second language program even if it's Berlitz (for tourists) or something like that if you can't find a real academic place.

Yes he may lag behind a bit I don't know you have to ask professionals. Luckily the standards in Florida seem rather low. He will be tested and he can feel proud of his math and painting, then. And challenged with English no problem. He'll learn quickly by total immersion.

Tell him that right away. Tell him he may feel uncomfortable but it's only in his head, in other words build him up. Hopefully he is a confident kid anyway. If not, just explain things the best you can and spend all the time you can on his daily program and personal things (instead of overtime at your job for example). In my opinion.

The most important thing I think is to find kids for him to play with. If he likes soccer find a soccer club, explain the situation and get him in there. It's the best way for him to feel accepted and learn English to get by and hopefully the kids will be kind and inviting. Also make the invitations to the other kids. Be the social coordinator instead of hoping another parent is.

Also find a church of your type if there is one, and try and find a "club" or pocket of people of your nationality if there is one. These things will give your family a level of comfort and some release and advise as you progress.

I don't think you have to worry about true racism or prejudice or whatever, but kids can be mean to any newcomer and your kid might have some issues if he's only exposed to a small group that don't include him. I can tell you the African American kids could care less where you come from, in fact being foreign may be a plus, LOL, a novelty to them. I don't know about Hispanic kids. I'm talking about the mainstream locations not underprivileged locations, I can't speak for them. I always think kids are better off in a larger group where they can chose or be chosen by a big range of people. But nobody here discriminates against East Euro, really, I haven't seen it.

You are also lucky you have corporate people you'll know right away. I would start setting up a social network perhaps for your children with your colleagues. The language will come, and no matter how difficult it is now, it will really really improve their futures being truly bilingual.

Good luck with your move. Start showing your kids American movies, reading American books like Sesame Street things, all things American for now LOL . Get them in the mood and show them all the beautiful beach and nature things to get them excited.

Unread 07-04-2008, 05:15 AM

3,044 posts, read 4,363,580 times
An advantage to South Florida is that everyone is from somewhere else. There are very few true natives. I recommend scissor's suggestions above about finding your community within the community. This will help a great deal. And, as far as Eastern European descent, a huge portion of the large Jewish population here is originally from there. For example, my grandparents on one side, were both from Lithuania and my husband's parents were from Poland and Romania.

Unread 07-04-2008, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
An advantage to South Florida is that everyone is from somewhere else. There are very few true natives. I recommend scissor's suggestions above about finding your community within the community. This will help a great deal. And, as far as Eastern European descent, a huge portion of the large Jewish population here is originally from there. For example, my grandparents on one side, were both from Lithuania and my husband's parents were from Poland and Romania.
My fears are about kids, not about me. Native community is a huge support in private life, but not in school life.

Unread 07-04-2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I don't know anything about schools and kids in So Fl but I do know about moving here from another country. It is likely your family will love it and thrive if you can find a solution to the language help. I think the baby will be fine, start teaching her simple words now. Apple, dog etc. She won't' even notice cultural differences. Although when my son was 4 he told me he loved going to this barbeque in the downtown city with his dad because all the brown people were fun. LOL....it was very cute and he's been totally without any prejudice his whole life. He's 28.

Other people here know about such things and will have answers.

My husband came here for the University of Pennsylvania with almost no English and only a dream to be accepted there. He was a high achiever in Greece where there were 8000 applicants for only 800 positions.

But there was no way he could attend here, he didnt pass the TOEFL (sp) for Wharton School. Meanwhile, he found an Armenian who tutored him to the level of math he needed to be accepted into the school of Engineering.It took one summer.

(Armenians are sympatico with Greek/ anti Turk LOL) He met him just hanging out in the school library and they are lifelong friends now because that kid gave him his entire future. Better than marrying for a green card LOL.

My point is, be creative. I would first contact the schools for advise. Then I would find a English as a second language program even if it's Berlitz (for tourists) or something like that if you can't find a real academic place.

Yes he may lag behind a bit I don't know you have to ask professionals. Luckily the standards in Florida seem rather low. He will be tested and he can feel proud of his math and painting, then. And challenged with English no problem. He'll learn quickly by total immersion.

Tell him that right away. Tell him he may feel uncomfortable but it's only in his head, in other words build him up. Hopefully he is a confident kid anyway. If not, just explain things the best you can and spend all the time you can on his daily program and personal things (instead of overtime at your job for example). In my opinion.

The most important thing I think is to find kids for him to play with. If he likes soccer find a soccer club, explain the situation and get him in there. It's the best way for him to feel accepted and learn English to get by and hopefully the kids will be kind and inviting. Also make the invitations to the other kids. Be the social coordinator instead of hoping another parent is.

Also find a church of your type if there is one, and try and find a "club" or pocket of people of your nationality if there is one. These things will give your family a level of comfort and some release and advise as you progress.

I don't think you have to worry about true racism or prejudice or whatever, but kids can be mean to any newcomer and your kid might have some issues if he's only exposed to a small group that don't include him. I can tell you the African American kids could care less where you come from, in fact being foreign may be a plus, LOL, a novelty to them. I don't know about Hispanic kids. I'm talking about the mainstream locations not underprivileged locations, I can't speak for them. I always think kids are better off in a larger group where they can chose or be chosen by a big range of people. But nobody here discriminates against East Euro, really, I haven't seen it.

You are also lucky you have corporate people you'll know right away. I would start setting up a social network perhaps for your children with your colleagues. The language will come, and no matter how difficult it is now, it will really really improve their futures being truly bilingual.

Good luck with your move. Start showing your kids American movies, reading American books like Sesame Street things, all things American for now LOL . Get them in the mood and show them all the beautiful beach and nature things to get them excited.
Thanks a lot for your concern and sympathy. The support is the real thing that we now need.

Unread 07-07-2008, 05:02 PM

294 posts, read 714,103 times
What part of Eastern Europe are you from? My wife is from Poland and is adjusting just fine.

There is a large presence of Eastern Europeans scattered around Broward and Miami-Dade (Sunny Isles, Hallendale Beach, Pompano, etc.). Unfortunately, the Eastern European community here is not as tight-nit as it is in other places like New York, Chicago, etc., so you might feel a bit isolated at times.

We ourselves are planning to move to Weston soon, as we've visited and researched the area quite extensively, and I think you and your family would feel very welcome there based on your description.

I would disregard most of the talk about snobbery, intolerance, rudeness, etc. I find it no different here than in any other large city I've lived in (including Warsaw, Poland!). Having myself lived in Eastern Europe for almost 7 years, I can say that the quality of life is much better here and you'll do just fine.

Unread 07-10-2008, 10:22 PM

49 posts, read 175,450 times
for anyone interested i'm selling a 2/2 condo in Palm Aire. the condo has major upgrades. new AC unit, brand spanking new kitchen w/granite countertop, tubble marble backsplash, new Berber carpeting throughout & W/D in unit. it is located on the first floor. the condo is currently being rented so it would be an ideal situation for an investor. monthly rent for my unit can be as much as $1500 per month. close to I95, Florida Turnpike, major shopping, dining, house of worships, etc. you can email me here with your info & i will respond w/photos, etc. the list price for the unit is $135K. i hate to sell it but i have quite a way to go before i can retire & live there.

Last edited by pattinyc510; 07-10-2008 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: typos

Unread 08-29-2008, 06:30 PM

309 posts, read 617,738 times
Kids pick up languages so fast when you move country. I know many British kids who learned Spanish almost overnight when moving to Spain. Kids are amazing. Is this move permanent? If not, you may want to find a private European based school as teachng styles differ from the US.

Good luck with your move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area