Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 07:57 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times

Advertisements

Seems the outflow of people in Broward is still going. Wonder how things are going to look in another year or two. Worsening economy, foreclosures up 68% etc. I think we are well underway to having our very own ghost towns if this keeps up.

link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 08:35 PM

156 posts, read 151,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Seems the outflow of people in Broward is still going. Wonder how things are going to look in another year or two. Worsening economy, foreclosures up 68% etc. I think we are well underway to having our very own ghost towns if this keeps up.

link

Do you blame anyone for wanting to leave S FL? I mean really... its probably all those rude and nasty native Floridians I have been hearing about from all the NY'ers. LOL

Old 07-10-2008, 09:00 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
I think it all comes down to what the Wu-Tang were preaching back in the day- C.R.E.A.M

Old 07-10-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I think it all comes down to what the Wu-Tang were preaching back in the day- C.R.E.A.M
darn, couldn't give you the rep points! One of my favorite songs of all times.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
darn, couldn't give you the rep points! One of my favorite songs of all times.
Haha absolutely my man, I knew it would be one your favorites but really, that's what it all comes down to. Broward is as overpriced and basically screwed as Dade or Palm Beach but doesn't have the tight knit immigrant communities of Dade or the inflow of independently wealthy retirees of Palm Beach. With the types of problems we have (no not like too many Hispanics but like 2000 foreclosures a month and a limited small business and real estate based economy), it makes sense that it would shrink. It's all about that C.R.E.A.M...

Wu-Tang Forever!

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-10-2008 at 09:33 PM..

Old 07-10-2008, 09:34 PM

You now, when I was in university, one of my class mates did a report on the museum downtown. In his report, he spoke about why it was floundering and he basically said what you just said. He likened Ft. Lauderdale to the red headed step child. Stuck between two well off adults.

Did you hear about Sax Fifth avenue or whatever that store was in the Galleria mall? They said none of those high end stores do well in Ft. Lauderdale yet they do well in Miami and West Palm. Guess this place just doesn't have a strong enough economic base. Ft. Lauderdale is going to be interesting over the next five years.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:39 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
I would not call it a cesspool, YET, however at the rate of things it's heading there. People are leaving, house prices are not dropping fast enough, taxes, insurance, budget cuts all over the place. However, you have people who live in areas that we consider favorable, or plan to move to and they themselves are complaining. Things are not looking good all over. South Florida is worse, since it's so expensive to live and pays little in comparison, people have outgrown the whole beach life idea (nonsense if you ask me), and are worried about the bottom line (their pockets and quality of life). MY $0.02....

Old 07-11-2008, 10:30 AM

148 posts, read 682,750 times
You guys are right. The insurance here is high. Taxes and insurance are as much as a mortgage payment in other cities. The real estate prices in Broward are high - greedy investors and foreclosed homes by out-of-state owners. There used to be a lot of family neighborhoods. Did you see that Coral Springs is in the top 10 list of declining populations. Look at the rest of the county. What do you think will happen to all those new Condo's on A-1A and in downtown FL? The Galleria has some high-end stores in there - but I think it draws tourists. Do you know anyone who lives here who actually shops there? The Coral Square mall is shabby and is looking more low-end. Given what has happened with crime at malls around here, I just don't want to go shopping at these places.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:33 AM

Nothing happened with the crime at these malls that hasn't happened before, but ever since the Boca incidents, the media has been alerting you of every single waking incident at the other malls. Coral Square has been that way as long as I can remember it, overshadowed by Town Center in Boca.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:21 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,245,233 times
I know we're trying to get out within the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area