U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Florida: Fort Lauderdale, cost of living, career, condos, 4 seasons.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 11:52 PM

7 posts, read 14,173 times

Advertisements

I have lived the past 15 years in Detroit, Michigan. Its hell. I can't really tell you how bad it is living here, so all I'm going to say is that it is hell. Being 24 years old and single, I am now able to finally move out of this state and the only place I could see myself would be in southern Florida. However, all this discouraging complants from people is alarming. I mean how bad is the weather? Do people not walk outside in July/August? My question is, can money stop you from caring about all these things you don't like about living in so-Flo? I can make 100,000/year in Fort Lauderdale. But I can also make 65,000/year in Gainesville. I thought Gainesville would be perfect for me, but I didn't stop and realized that Gainesville's county has a total population of only 250K. Not a big city and people are complaining very much of living their as well.

So in conclusion, I have seen all the hate threads about Fort Lauderdale and Southern Florida, but is living their worth it if you making 100K?

Last edited by chaldean; 07-13-2008 at 12:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 12:01 AM

8,376 posts, read 27,794,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaldean View Post

So in conclusion, I have seen all the hate threads about Fort Lauderdale and Southern Florida, but is living their worth it if you making 100K?
If you move here, you will face RUDE PEOPLE.

Really, just like you pointed out, every place is going to have it's group of keyboard malcontents. Also, personal situation is going to be a variable as to whether you become a keyboard malcontent yourself in two years. Take both the good and bad (yes even the extreme "too many hispanics, rude people, crime on every corner every day" posts) with a grain of salt, and try to assemble the grains into something you can use. I'm going to give you my grain of salt; that income is going to help your cause a lot no matter where you want to move. 24 years and single with that kind of income can pretty fun down here, assuming you aren't pissing the fun away at 2 in the morning like I am, lol. Tell us what you want, what you don't what, and we can help you. Let's start with this; what do you consider "bad weather"? People actually more here for the climate, yet we have a very vocal crowd claiming that the weather couldn't be any worse. For them. Heck, we even have a poster (yes I'm talking about you doggiebus ) that claims the weather was nice here in the 80s but because of global warming it's too hot now, and well, that's how she feels and all that matters is how YOU feel.

PS- not many people out today, but that's because it was POURING. I don't think it went above 75 degrees today in my area. Summer days here can be within my threshold of pleasant; a typical summer day would be about 88 degrees and partly cloudy with a consistent breeze, but with nearly 90% humidity. I think the breeze makes it very bearable, but many beg to differ.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-13-2008 at 12:09 AM..

Old 07-13-2008, 12:08 AM

7 posts, read 14,173 times
Quote:
Tell us what you want, what you don't what, and we can help you.
What I want; a big city and endless things to do
What I don't want; to see is snow for the rest of my life

I know many of you are trashing the heat-wave like summers you have, but you guys don't know what bad weather is unless you have lived in the north. Just imagine not being able to feel your face, car slipping and sliding and always seem to get into an accident, shovelling snow as a part time job since you will be ticketed by the city if you do not removing it from your front house.

All this ''rude people'' talk; do they ever get in your face? If they never threaten you, what do you care how rude they are? Do these rude people carry guns? I have not been able to see 80% of Detroit because they are cosidered to be ''no-go'' places. I'm sure their are parts in soFlo that have normal peole, no?

Old 07-13-2008, 12:24 AM

3,368 posts, read 10,509,033 times
Quote:
I have lived the past 15 years in Detroit, Michigan. Its hell. I can't really tell you how bad it is living here, so all I'm going to say is that it is hell. Being 24 years old and single, I am now able to finally move out of this state and the only place I could see myself would be in southern Florida. However, all this discouraging complants from people is alarming. I mean how bad is the weather? Do people not walk outside in July/August? My question is, can money stop you from caring about all these things you don't like about living in so-Flo? I can make 100,000/year in Fort Lauderdale. But I can also make 65,000/year in Gainesville. I thought Gainesville would be perfect for me, but I didn't stop and realized that Gainesville's county has a total population of only 250K. Not a big city and people are complaining very much of living their as well.

Go for it. South Florida is an attractive and dynamic region and as a single guy, you can live like a king on $100,000. In my opinion the people are no more rude than anywhere else. If you want to move somewhere sunny with lots to do (but don't mind that South Florida has big city problems like everywher else), you should make the move and not let people discourage you.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:16 AM

6,987 posts, read 15,488,857 times
Quote:

I know many of you are trashing the heat-wave like summers you have, but you guys don't know what bad weather is unless you have lived in the north. Just imagine not being able to feel your face, car slipping and sliding and always seem to get into an accident, shovelling snow as a part time job since you will be ticketed by the city if you do not removing it from your front house.

All this ''rude people'' talk; do they ever get in your face? If they never threaten you, what do you care how rude they are? Do these rude people carry guns? I have not been able to see 80% of Detroit because they are cosidered to be ''no-go'' places. I'm sure their are parts in soFlo that have normal peole, no?
From NYC, have been to Chicago as well. My wife is from Chicago. Here and I both prefer the north to this weather. That is VERY subjective. The economy here is not diverse so as things get worse so will the economy here, and I would say more so than many other places. This places is retail and tourism based for the most part. When people stop travelling it will become a problem. Last time (2000/2001) the unemployment here was higher than the national average. So these are things to think about. I would suggest Miami over Fort Lauderdale, just because it has a more diverse economy and other things I think make it a better buy.

Good Luck

Old 07-13-2008, 07:52 AM

44 posts, read 111,585 times
Quote:

At your age, you should move to the area that is best for your career and for meeting lot of interesting people. Is that in Florida or elsewhere? Many of the things you are asking are subjective and best answered by a short visit. Don't be alarmed by the ridiculous levels of complaining on this board. I've had the opportunity to live and spend time in a lot of cities across the globe and there is something special about south Florida.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:17 AM

6,987 posts, read 15,488,857 times
Quote:

little off topic but are you really Chaldean?

Old 07-13-2008, 08:26 AM

2,143 posts, read 7,200,090 times
Quote:

I know many of you are trashing the heat-wave like summers you have, but you guys don't know what bad weather is unless you have lived in the north.
Michigan? I used to live there.

It's no hotter in Florida during the summer than the hottest, most humid days in Michigan. But do the hot, humid days in Michigan extend from May to Thanksgiving? That's why people get tired of summer here.

You won't ever see a snowflake in Ft. Lauderdale. I do think most people get tired of the city and the crowds after a while, but if you are just starting out with no responsibilities, then by all means give it a try. What do you have to lose?

BTW, what kind of work do you do?

Old 07-13-2008, 08:37 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,214,683 times
Quote:

I'm from Pa. I totally say give it a try if you have a way back out just in case. Yes, making 65,000 or 100,000 you can "live above" alot of the issues. IF you pick the right neighborhood and have some luck. This doesnt mean you'll identify with your neighborhood though, like in the friend department, but you will find like minded people usually somewhere.

It's subjective and individual.

It IS HOT and HUMID in the summer but you tint your windows home and car. That doesn't mean you can play volleyball etc in the summer, so you play water polo or something. The UV index is the highest except for parts of HI from what I remember. Skin cancer is a serious thing and should not be ignored though even/especially at your age. It's a permanent damage not reversible. They sell some UV protective clothing for that and if you work in an office it's not such an issue but the rays bounce in windows off from the outside.

It's tremendously better than cold and ice and snow if you're not a snow lover. If you love ice hockey you will play with older firemen etc, though.

BIG CITY and endless things to do? Tap the brakes. Nope. Maybe Miami or Gainesville or Jacksonville. My son attended college here and stayed for business, he's 28. He just moved to West Palm Beach (WPB) because of the boredom in Ft Lauderdale and not at all interested in the environment of Miami. Not BIG but some stuff to do. He's in the music business.

You need to come here for a couple weeks with a list WRITTEN DOWN (speaking like a mom now lol) of priorities and ignore the palm trees and water and go through your list.

Get a car and do the drive(s) to your potential job location (s) see if the traffic or construction whatever is ok. If you will need to go to the airport frequently you need to factor that in.

Have a few different types of properties and neighborhoods ready to go see housing in to see if it's what you expect for the money. Like if in your head you only will accept/picture waterfront or beach or whatever. Sitting in a beautiful condo on the beach can make up for alot of annoyance IMO.

Downtown WPB has several luxury type condos with nice upgrades at City Place perfect for a person your age. LOL I forget if your a guy or girl but it doesnt matter. You can walk to everything down there except the beach it's a couple miles east. Quick though. The city however does not in the least qualify for big city with endless things to do not even close.

Example movies...what movies are in the town. If you like documentaries, foreign films etc. Will you get ticked off having to drive far for a stupid movie? (this can be the case if you don't want exclusively mainstream stuff in a mall)

Music is it available ..the type you like?

Your sports, go do them or find them or if they even exist.

Your sports teams if you wanna go see pro sports where are they?

Bars etc, GO THERE and evaluate it. Even for friendships talk to people even if you're making up stupid stuff to say and don't feel like it. It's the only way to evaluate if you might be comfortable.

See if you can meet future coworkers on a visit to scope things out.

Book stores is there one that would satisfy you or are you willing to give it up and order online ditto all of the shopping you may have to do if you're a shopper type person since the malls are smaller and different.

FOOD if you are a veggie person do you like the veggies at the stores? (not kidding about this one).

Dating don't attribute personality differences to you being on vacation, evaluate the people and see if they are similar to you. Like if you like politics and they only talk about uhhh...luggage or something. It MIGHT be a regional pattern LOL. In my experience this is significant but I'm not 24.

Then there's the whole redneck and religious thing. There is an element of RURAL people and RELIGIOUS people (and some would say skin head types) sprinkled around usually up North according to my son so if that's in your area you need to get out and see if you find it quaint or annoying or perfect maybe. Lots of country music, pickups, strict opinions, and mullets ...can be perfect for some people and not others lol. This IS the South so their Southern ways should be accepted imo. I just can't live there and they wouldn't want me to either lol. Anywhere where there's hunting is a no go for me. Anywhere where a horse pulls a carriage is a no for me. Anywhere that fishing is in my face all day long is a no for me. LOL Perhaps you're not as opinionated as me, I get that.

DOGS - if you have a dog it is a considerable negative impact to a dog moving here in many ways unless you know what you are doing. Heat and pent up energy. And bug bites very bad like fire ants and you can have an infestation in the yard this will significantly change things for example.

Language...does it bother you being in places where English is not the dominant language as in Miami. Try buying stuff and talking to people and see what happens.

Laid back versus city "folk" - Florida has a ton of Northern transplants but overall the vibe is laid back. Really scope this part out. See if you feel anything wierd about it.

When people say rude they mean several things but in your face is not it, imo. More like passive aggressive, not wanting to do their jobs when getting paid to, or not capable of it, or refusing to speak English, or basically unfriendly. Or stupid LOL, like some people working in stores or restaurants stopping helping you like in the middle of ringing you up the cashier line to clean up milk 10 feet away ha ha. Every day. Everywhere. This is what some people call laid back. I call it rude. (a pet peeve of mine trying to move in but now that I have everything I can be more selective with my dealings with the retail industry here)

Simple everyday things change when you move so try and do as much of them as possible, imo so you can make a good evaluation. You can always find great housing in the price range you're talking about so that's not the issue, as you alluded to.

The other thing is, being 24 you'll be ALOT more forgiving and tolerant of the "people" issues, my son is too at 28. It'll be such an adventure you probably won't be aggravated much. Just come with an exit strategy and backup plan if the job doesn't pan out imo.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-13-2008 at 08:47 AM..

Old 07-13-2008, 08:44 AM

2 posts, read 4,023 times
Well, this is what I have to say. I moved here from New England and have lived in South Florida since 1973. I really do love it here. So much to do and see, it is beautiful with out a doubt (the entire state too). But, so much has changed, esp. in dade and broward counties. The influx of people, bad traffic, and yes, the weather has changed too. Used to be July and August were really the hot months, but they were still managable, but now, due to a lot of factors (global warming, congestion, economics) it seems to just be getting hotter and hotter each year too. There was a post by someone who said the temp in the 1980's was quite tollerable, well, in the 70's we only used a/c 3 months a year! NOT anymore...also, since you are used to living up north, the humidity will play a huge part in your adjustment. But, you are young and I presume healthy, so, most likely your body will adjust in time. Take advantage of the beaches, and water sports during the year to cool off. As for the affordability....I know several friends living in Michigan who claim that it is worse there, (financially). Yes, I believe that you really cant run away from it and that most states are feeling the crunch, but keep in mind that Florida is in the top 20. I think that you could live well on the salary you mentioned as a single person (no children?)...were you considering buying or renting? Depends on what area you want to live in also. Gainesville is beautiful, yes, not as populated as Ft. Lauderdale / WPB / Miami, maybe, but there are advantages in both places. It is a little cheaper (gas and food) farther North in the state, but then you are not near the beach either...coastal living is always more expensive. My inlaws live near Winterhaven / Orlando area and I find that when I visit them, it is always hotter there since they are bascially in the middle of the state and do not have the advantage of costal breezes. I miss the fall and the first snow fall (not the ugly dirty slippery slush and frostbitten cold), but I think the heating bill for those months is almost comparable to the a/c bill here. I think you would be fine...but, come down for a vacation first to see if you like the environment...Anyway, hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area