Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 09:01 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,889,948 times

Advertisements

I'm from New England. Have been in North Dade for two years. I study at BCC.

I just want someone to let me know if there is any diffrence between these two cities in any way.

Economically, socially, historicly, cost of living, lifestyle, people, eudcation wise, anything helps.

Is Broward a good place for broke, college aged people?

I'm considering moving up to Broward to be closer to my school, but I need to find out if this is a smart choice. If its harder to find work in Broward than in Dade, I will most likely stay in Dade. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,921 times
Default RE: Someone needs to tell me the diffrence between MIAMI AND FORT LAUDERDALE

Thanks – this looks like a great site for anyone who wants to become lovable.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:16 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,844,930 times
Read my last post to you on the other thread. Yes FLL is tremendously better but not a city you can pretend to be Paris Hilton in.

Same with Boca, they have schools there you know LOL. And al the way up either coast. Miami is an anomaly. As a mom, I say know yourself. If you love Miami because you're a "drama queen" or whatever then you wont like other cities (smile) but if you are serious about finishing school and making something of yourself, it is not going to happen in Miami and at the very least it's going to be 3 times harder!

Old 07-16-2008, 09:18 AM

OMG I just realized you said your school is in Broward but you chose Miami? YEP, Paris Hilton you need to MOVE. Doesn't it make more sense to live where you "work" and only OCCASIONALLY go to Miami if that's your thing....versus living where you PARTY and dragging yourself to school at a distance all the time?

(you can see I am passionate about this topic because I have a 28 yr old son who I had to go through the whole "living in Fl for college" BS with, but I was in Pa. What a pain)

Old 07-16-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henakk View Post
Thanks – this looks like a great site for anyone who wants to become lovable.

huh?

Old 07-16-2008, 09:32 AM

When I first moved here I didn't come for school. If I would have known I was going to go to a Broward school, chances are I would have lived in Broward too. I'm kind of stuck in Dade 'til November anyway.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:44 AM

Look into jobs that pay your school I think Marriott is one of them. My son's gf had a great jobs at various properties and they set her hours around school. She had alot of promotions and is an assistant Dir of a property now in a couple short years. They were paying her 40,000 in 2005 and she was only 23 and a college dropout. They even invite you to stay at properties during hurricanes. And you get rooms anywhere in the world for about 40 bucks. Another option is Hospitality industry major if you don't have one in mind. That covers restaurants and bars too....

It may not pay as much as bartending but then you're chosing that life, not one that'll get you making bucks sooner. Another thing is you're really an adult going to school part time, right? Not a college student working part time. So it's a long drawn out deal and your expenses are high. If you lived near the campus with other student types you could save alot say, on a cheaper place or a roommate for the apartment (my son always had roomates) sharing other stuff and misery loves company anyway LOL. You also can get alot of job referrals hanging around the campuses instead of rushing up and down the highway spending a couple hours roundtrip to get to work. JMHO (smile)

Old 07-16-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Look into jobs that pay your school I think Marriott is one of them. My son's gf had a great jobs at various properties and they set her hours around school. She had alot of promotions and is an assistant Dir of a property now in a couple short years. They were paying her 40,000 in 2005 and she was only 23 and a college dropout. They even invite you to stay at properties during hurricanes. And you get rooms anywhere in the world for about 40 bucks. Another option is Hospitality industry major if you don't have one in mind. That covers restaurants and bars too....

It may not pay as much as bartending but then you're chosing that life, not one that'll get you making bucks sooner. Another thing is you're really an adult going to school part time, right? Not a college student working part time. So it's a long drawn out deal and your expenses are high. If you lived near the campus with other student types you could save alot say, on a cheaper place or a roommate for the apartment (my son always had roomates) sharing other stuff and misery loves company anyway LOL. You also can get alot of job referrals hanging around the campuses instead of rushing up and down the highway spending a couple hours roundtrip to get to work. JMHO (smile)
I really should look into moving closer to my school. I thought about studying hospitality for a while, but when I learned about Radiation Therapy, I knew I wanted to work in the medical field.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:53 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,847,440 times
I am going to compare Dade and Broward County as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I'm from New England. Have been in North Dade for two years. I study at BCC.

I just want someone to let me know if there is any diffrence between these two cities in any way.

Economically-small business and real estate base, marine technology, some corporations like Autonation and Motorola, some IT courtesy of Citrix Systems, overall not a huge step up or down from Dade but you don't need Spanish to get a decent job although you might need it to get a service job,
socially- more blacks, more Asians, more non-"Hispanic" "Anglos" (and Jews too), still significant Hispanic population but more whites and blacks. Not a lot of neighborhood segregation by race although it exists. Transient. Predominantly working to middle class with small pockets of wealth, small pockets of poverty.,
historicly- A bunch of people (many whom were Dade County refugees) moved here in the 80s and 90s looking for "paradise". Going back there was the whole spring break era, and before that not much else. Not much history really. ,
cost of living- Same as Dade overall but I think you get to live in a better neighborhood for the price.,
lifestyle, -Same as anywhere else, it's whatever you want to make of it. It's not like Miami though. The clubs are there if you want them but the area has a variety of lifestyles.
people- Similar to, but not the SAME as a Northeastern kind of pace (possibly due to transience) with a few natives left. Definitely not the same sense of vanity as Miami although I wouldn't go as far as calling the area down to earth, even though it basically is.
, eudcation wise- What do you mean?
, anything helps.- Much better than Dade as far as traffic, much better than Dade as far as crime. The east side of Broward has a crowded working class grit to it (except some areas by the beach) and some old Florida feel left with pockets of impoverished neighborhoods (generally between US1 and the turnpike), the west side resembles suburbia USA (west of University Dr). Just about nowhere except for little tiny pockets around SW Ft. Lauderdale have that "third world" feel that encompasses most of Dade. Totally different structure from Dade County.

Is Broward a good place for broke, college aged people? -Simple answer, no.
If you want a decent area by your school, just look into some of those condos or apartments around the university in Davie. That area will feel like you moved to Ohio after coming out of Miami however.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I am going to compare Dade and Broward County as a whole.

If you want a decent area by your school, just look into some of those condos or apartments around the university in Davie. That area will feel like you moved to Ohio after coming out of Miami however.
Wow, thanks so much! That helped. Davie? Sounds interesting, I haven't spent much time in Davie but I heard you can get custom made cowboy boots there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area