Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 12:24 PM

294 posts, read 1,149,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I still don't really understand a lot of this "back when" garbage. Want to see what the crime was like 10 years ago?

1997/1998 search for "Broward" on the report
http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/FSAC/UCR..._municipal.pdf
http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/FSAC/UCR...2007annual.pdf
It's up in 2007 from record lows. If you want to go back through 80s it was even worse. Compared to the national average back then, crime was through the roof here, over the past 5 years or so crime rates have been straddling close to the national average, bouncing back and fourth between above and below.
Compelled - you forgot that all crime here is vastly under-reported by the rude, fake and Spanish-speaking statisticians

Old 08-08-2008, 12:33 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
Who exactly feels "threatened?" Personally I'm VERY glad that people who don't like it here leave! For their sake (everyone should live happily) and mine (same reason).

Dade and Broward (don't really know PBC) grew too fast too quick, it's FANTASTIC that they take a break from growth even if it means some tax/government spending pain for a while. Wouldn't be nice if some of these people don't take potshots as they walk out the front door though?
If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything, right?
what do you mean by potshots exactly? Generally, I have seen people say why they don't like south florida and why they are leaving or want to leave. People who want to know about this place need to see the good and the bad. Just because the bad isn't stated in a palatable way for some doesn't negate its validity. I darn sure don't see how these negative statements could evoke such strong reactions from some.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:59 PM

710 posts, read 2,233,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
People who want to know about this place need to see the good and the bad. Just because the bad isn't stated in a palatable way for some doesn't negate its validity. I darn sure don't see how these negative statements could evoke such strong reactions from some.
ABSOLUTELY! And as I pointed out, even negative comments can be constructive and absolutely belong on this and every board. "These" negative comments made in a respectful and constructive way about why someone doesn't like SoFla shouldn't offend ANYBODY.
Unfortunately "these" kind of negative comments aren't the only ones being made and mostly the reason I take time-out to post here.

Quote:
what do you mean by potshots exactly?
Here is a comment made on another thread that I just responded to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoNC View Post
I think the picture you are painting is much too rosy. This is not how FL is now. Why do you think everyone is trying to get out? We made money there too, but only because of what the real estate market did before it crashed. I am glad to be out of there.
How is this constructive? "EVERYONE?" Obviously, it's simply not true and doesn't offer anything other than a "I hate it" to the OP who was looking for constructive advice on whether to move to FtLaud or not and all this person added was hyperbole and falsehoods in addition to their valid "don't like it" opinion.

Last edited by planetsurf; 08-08-2008 at 01:12 PM..

Old 08-08-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
ABSOLUTELY! And as I pointed out, even negative comments can be constructive. "These" negative comments made in a respectful and constructive way shouldn't offend ANYBODY.
Unfortunately "these" kind of negative comments aren't the only ones being made and mostly the reason I take time-out to post here.

Here is a comment made on another thread that I just responded to:

How is this constructive? "EVERYONE?" Obviously, it's simply not true and doesn't offer anything other than a ""I hate it" to the OP who was looking for constructive advice on whether to move to FtLaud or not and all this person added was hyperbole and falsehoods in addition to their valid "don't like it" opinion.
I don't see the big deal *shrugs*

Old 08-08-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I don't see the big deal *shrugs*
It's not a "big deal" but it is the type of un-useful and silly negative comment that needs to be called out and countered.

Last edited by planetsurf; 08-08-2008 at 01:41 PM..

Old 08-08-2008, 01:32 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,249,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Translation View Post
Compelled - you forgot that all crime here is vastly under-reported by the rude, fake and Spanish-speaking statisticians
There's no proof that they're rude or Spanish-speaking, but I have read about investigations where Miami-Dade and Broward counties have underreported crime information to make it appear as if the counties are safer than they really are.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:34 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
what do you mean by potshots exactly? Generally, I have seen people say why they don't like south florida and why they are leaving or want to leave. People who want to know about this place need to see the good and the bad. Just because the bad isn't stated in a palatable way for some doesn't negate its validity. I darn sure don't see how these negative statements could evoke such strong reactions from some.

My point exactly. People like Cane Fan dont want to hear opinions that differ from theirs, and that's downright ignorant. I've been through this with him and he still doesn't understand. What more can I say? People have every right to express their thoughts and experiences here. I dont see many people getting bent out of shape on different forums like this guy. He's extremely biased, and he's the last person I would want to get advice from if I were moving down here (or for just about any question at this point). You like it, good for you. I dont, good for me. This is as simple as ABCs...What's there not to understand?

Let's look at a different scenario, where a person would ask for opinions about a local restaurant. 5 may not like it, 4 may like it...Should that person asking the question in the first place, not eat there because the majority seemed to not like it? NO!! Try it for yourself, and later on you'll have an experience and an opinion to either share or keep to yourself. Based on the 9 opinions you got from the forum, you may have good or bad expectations of the restaurant in question. You can choose to go or not to go...That's the whole point of expression, sharing thoughts, and experiences that some people just dont understand, (YES YOU, CANE FAN ). Does it mean that what I am saying is stopping people from coming down here? NO!! People will continue to come here and ask for opinions, information and such. They will hear good and bad. Thank God you are not a moderator. No one would be able to post under your rule. More like censorship with you. Get mad all you want now.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
My point exactly. People like Cane Fan dont want to hear opinions that differ from theirs, and that's downright ignorant. I've been through this with him and he still doesn't understand.
Huh? You're experience with CaneFan is polar opposite of mine.
Guess that's what makes horse racing.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:45 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
I have no problems with: agreeing, agreeing that we disagree, and disagreeing. Why would I ever be mad at what someone said negatively about, let's say NY, GA, (name your city, state) ? If that was their experience or opinion, I take it for what it is, and life goes on. Do you think that people like him prevent me from sleeping at night? Please.....We all have the option to pick our battles..

Old 08-08-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
I have no problems with: agreeing, agreeing that we disagree, and disagreeing. Why would I ever be mad at what someone said negatively about, let's say NY, GA, (name your city, state) ? If that was their experience or opinion, I take it for what it is, and life goes on. Do you think that people like him prevent me from sleeping at night? Please.....We all have the option to pick our battles..
whoa, whoa

They can say what they want about GA or FLL, but not my NYC. Thems be fighting words

*i kid*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area