Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 07:22 PM

305 posts, read 804,409 times

Advertisements

Alright, I'm pretty much at the end of my rope. I've done the right thing family wise by saying close to my family (my mother) and by staying with my girlfriend but I'm depressed and I'm pretty much just given up hope.

Those of you who know who I am know my situation but those that don't well I will explain it.

I'm between a rock and a hard spot. I am 34 (I'm grown) and I made a couple errors in my life. One error was a choice of education, I went to a known scam called Mod deleted, I owe about 26,000 and I can't even find full time work in the (Information Technology) I.T field.

I know what you're thinking, why do I.T in Florida?, good question and honestly I was a idiot and didn't know any better. Anyway, I'm currently working as a Voter System Technician for the city of Broward, I will be in charge of the upkeep of the voting machines.

I make 13.50 but this job ends on the 24th.

Then I'm unemployed again....

Anyways, I would really like some advice how to better this situation, my main issue is stable employment. I can never make a decent salary (over 25k a year to save my life). Pathetic for a grown 34 year old man? Of course... Am I trying to improve it? Yes.... Is it possible? Honestly I really cannot tell you.

I'm a only child, my mother is trying to pay off her house to give to me so I can have something. I will feel bad leaving her here and her massive $11.50 per hour salary as she tries to juggle her $1400 mortgage and her $500 dollar car note (almost paid off, 2 payments to go) but damn I am depressed, I feel like just giving up.

My girlfriend is a good girl (25) and lives at home but she's not the type to assist me at all. She won't move in with a man unless she's married to him so she's not much assistance. So I'm pretty much stuck in a dead end situation.

I can't find a job, girlfriend isn't much help, mom is struggling and needs help, also believes family should stick together but I'm too damn depressed to think right, I need to get something going and nothing changes.

Any advice? Links for section 8? Welfare or whatever that can bring some type of change?

The government doesn't consider me disabled unless I'm over 55 even though I have a speech impediment, they say I'm healthy enough to work.

So what should I do? I really want to get somewhere I can get something going on? Anything.... apartment or something to bring a smile on my face.... I am beyond frustrated.

Last edited by sunrico90; 08-09-2008 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: possible libel...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 07:55 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,844,930 times
Well I didn't know about the IT part and I wouldn't have blamed you a bit for thinking that was a good career choice, it makes sense. I'll have to think about this one as a mom and post back to you.

Do you live with your mom? Honestly, I might consider that if I were you for now.

I'm sure you thought of all the other counties, right? Seeing if they need your skills since you have experience?

Old 08-09-2008, 07:59 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,529,579 times
Honestly in your situation moving doesnt seem like an option (although moving would probably be the best option for your career in IT). My suggestion would be to get a second night job at Walmart or something like that, it will supplement your income and hopefully keep you above water. Dont feel bad, I know many professionals with good careers making between $25,000-35,000. Its not your fault, its the state and its companies that have been allowed to treat Florida workers like slave labor.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:31 PM

119 posts, read 112,187 times
dont give up man, and dont leave your mom behind. do whatever you can to help her out. perhaps you could move in with her, and share some expenses? do you want to marry this girl you are dating? 2 incomes make a pretty big difference. i know it can be tough man, you may want to try to move you and your family (and girlfriend) to a place where it is cheaper to live. it is hard to makes ends meet in south fla on a modest income.

as far as IT employment, it was huge back in early 2000's... fizzled out like real estate did a few yrs later... maybe it'll come back around though. to make more money w/o a degree, have you tries sales? some slaes jobs pay good, if you are into/like sales, it could be a way to earn more money.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:41 PM

Thanks for the kind support without the flaming...

1. Remember I have a speech impedement so I tend to stay away from Helpdesk/Sales jobs that require a bunch of speaking.

2. As far as living at home, I've been here 33 outta 34 years. I've had one apartment and I lost it due to not having enough income to take care of it.

To be honest the most money I've made full-time was $10.33 per hour. Contract was $15.00 per hour.

So money is the main issue and I'm pretty depressed about it. I don't know what to do anymore. I honestly can't live with my mother anymore, we are very different people, we don't get along at all.

I really need a change.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:42 PM

What's the requirements in Fla for assistance? Housing or anything else of that matter.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:46 PM

i would really try to make it work with your mom, live with her and get along, and share expenses. it could help out both of you. just learn to get along. easier said than done, but just try.

as far as sales jobs, wouldnt worry about a speech impedement at all affecting you. ppl overcome all types of stuff man, i wouldnt shy away from sales b/c of a speech impedement. but if you just dont feel comfortable in sales, perhaps you could talk to a counselor at a junior college and enroll in some classes? i knew kids in jr colleges that were going to school for nursing, to become a land surveyor, all kinds of stuff... jr college is pretty cheap, and you may be able to get assistance. night classes are also usually available.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.00 per hour View Post
What's the requirements in Fla for assistance? Housing or anything else of that matter.
try to google it... not sure what the requirements are...

Old 08-09-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2fish View Post
i would really try to make it work with your mom, live with her and get along, and share expenses. it could help out both of you. just learn to get along. easier said than done, but just try.

as far as sales jobs, wouldnt worry about a speech impedement at all affecting you. ppl overcome all types of stuff man, i wouldnt shy away from sales b/c of a speech impedement. but if you just dont feel comfortable in sales, perhaps you could talk to a counselor at a junior college and enroll in some classes? i knew kids in jr colleges that were going to school for nursing, to become a land surveyor, all kinds of stuff... jr college is pretty cheap, and you may be able to get assistance. night classes are also usually available.

I get plenty of aid but I need a place and I cannot live with my mother.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:06 PM

23,563 posts, read 70,158,065 times
Sometimes life socks. First, your mother has a $1400 mortgage and a $500 car payment on an $11/hr job??? That doesn't make much sense.

Face it. You are poor right now and need to retrench to get out of that debt. Start with the idea of renting a room rather than an apartment. Millions have lived in boarding houses to get their financial feet under them. I had to do it in Atlanta, in order to survive. Didn't like it, but got through it. If you have the resolve for it, rent an apartment and rent out rooms in it so that you can live rent free. You have to be ruthless about collecting rent in advance though, and keeping utility usage down.

Have your own side business. A simple one is driving around on trash days and looking for tossed metal objects or usable furniture and other items. Sell them at the flea market or on craigslist. One man's trash is another man's treasure. All it takes is a little labor and marketing.

Repair of voting machines? Translate that now into applying for jobs repairing vending machines or Point of Sale equipment. Ask the managers at Publix and a few places what company does the repair and maintenance of their registers and apply there. Be SURE to get some sort of letter of recommendation from your current boss. Leverage your experience.

The first key to success is to focus on how to get out of the situation and focus on follow through. The second is to keep your expenses to an absolute minimum.
Spend time in a comfy chair at Barnes and Noble or Borders, reading the books in the self-improvement section. Get ideas wherever you can. Be willing to move to take advantage of situations. If you can find one, take a Dale Carnegie course or join toastmasters. You'll learn how to relate to others and promote yourself in public situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area