Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 04:55 PM

137 posts, read 425,234 times

Advertisements

okay, all, I'm glad this stirred up such a response. I wasn't trying to impose my opinion, but i'm a law enforcement agent, relocating with my grown children, also law enforcement and I'm moving from a yuppy neighborhood outside DC and really thought I could give my insight to what I saw during my 10 day househunting trip the past 10 days. Mind you, I've been down there actually three times since May unofficially house hutning as well.

I love it there, and not from a tourist point of view, I went to the beach once, don't crucify me for that. I'm sure if the kids didn't want to all live together, I may have lived closer to the beach, although as a young 50, I try not to fry my face and I'm much more into golf.
Last week, while in Broward, I certainly did commute in rush hour to both Miami airport area and Fort Lauderdale from Miramar. I wuold say FLL did congest on the road as I approached the airport on 595 but only for a few minutes.
One of the things that did concern me was the suburbs that I'm looking at didn't offer enough entertainment for my 20something year olds.
Hell, even I couldn't believe there isn't an Irish pub out there somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 08:30 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times
There are two Irish pubs that I am aware of - The Fields on Griffin east of the turnpike, on the north side of the street, which has great live Irish music and occasionally a Scottish bagpipe. Ye Olde Falcon Pub is on University just south of 595, also with live music. I much prefer The Fields for atmo, but both have good food and are pubs in the classic tradition.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:59 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
They built a cool looking pub at that new Shops on the Garden place or whatever they call it in Pembroke Pines, but I have never been there. Looks nice though, but not like a New England kind of pub.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:32 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
They built a cool looking pub at that new Shops on the Garden place or whatever they call it in Pembroke Pines, but I have never been there. Looks nice though, but not like a New England kind of pub.
Right! I haven't been there yet, but it looks authentic enough from the outside, and it's out west! Perfect.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,098 times
Default Rental help needed

I was in Miami / Ft LDL. over 40 years. Lived in Weston, and Pembroke Pines. Retired in 06, coming back to work Sept 12. Would like to live Hollywood Hills, Davie, Pembroke Pines area ref company car and cant live more than 30 miles from location in downtown Miami. Need a 1-2 bedroom apt, condo, home, with garage for my cruiser, not expensive as I am keeping my large home in another State. Looking to spend less than $1400.00 a month. Problem is our German Shepard.. only Palm Trace and a couple others allow that breed of dog.. any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:19 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
lshoupe>

I'm glad you enjoyed your experience in South Florida. See? It isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

Concerning traffic though, I think you traveled during a weekend. Weekend traffic is light. On weekdays its a different story, especially during rush hour commutes. The I-95 corridor is where you will find the worst traffic in Broward. The rest of Broward (595, Sawgrass, I-75) isn't that bad. But if you have to commute into Miami-Dade for your job, the traffic is way worse down there. I-95 and the Palmetto Expy are parking lots during rush hours. The Dolphin Expy is even worse if you are traveling East-West in Miami. I don't care where you are from, Miami's traffic is as bad as it gets. Every day 95 is a parking lot between Fll and Miami during the hours of 7-9:30 and 3:30-7pm. Also, Miami was recently rated by aol.com as the worst road-rage city in America because the drivers are so aggressive. I know you are from DC so you've seen it all so I'm not going to brag and boast, just wanted to make sure you are aware of how dangerous the roads are and don't underestimate your commute times.

As far as where to live in Broward: The western part of Broward is generally quieter and has less traffic/more spread out, but is further away from the beach and most of the nightlife. So if your 20's something kids are into the nightlife/entertainment scene, it would be more convenient to live further east. The areas between the Turnpike and US1 are generally seedier areas. So if you are looking for a safe neighborhood, you almost have to live either in the western half of Broward or all the way to the east or on the beach. There are exceptions, such as Coconut Creek, Hollywood and Deerfield, but the 441 corridor is pretty rough from north to south.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:20 PM

Are you kidding me? 595 is BY AND FAR the worst. That road can really get annoying. 95 is a breeze, 65 mph cruising speed straight into and out of the Golden Glades at peak times, unless there is an accident, then you cut over to the turnpike and do 75 mph cursing speed. The parking lot doesn't start until you get south of that Golden Glades, trust me, I know. There may be tons of cars and tons of lanes, but it's moving fine. 595 actually has slowdowns and bottlenecks from Flamingo all the way to Davie Rd in the morning and a bottleneck around University Dr in the afternoon). A lot of cars does not equal bad traffic. Sometimes it's moving as slow at 45 mph even on it's best days.

Other then that, good observations.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:22 AM

29 posts, read 100,451 times
Coconut Creek is very nice.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:36 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Are you kidding me? 595 is BY AND FAR the worst. That road can really get annoying. 95 is a breeze, 65 mph cruising speed straight into and out of the Golden Glades at peak times, unless there is an accident, then you cut over to the turnpike and do 75 mph cursing speed. The parking lot doesn't start until you get south of that Golden Glades, trust me, I know. There may be tons of cars and tons of lanes, but it's moving fine. 595 actually has slowdowns and bottlenecks from Flamingo all the way to Davie Rd in the morning and a bottleneck around University Dr in the afternoon). A lot of cars does not equal bad traffic. Sometimes it's moving as slow at 45 mph even on it's best days.

Other then that, good observations.
come on man, you went way to far on this one. I-95 can be down right ignorant. especially as you hit downtown. I hated having to drive down to pick my wife up from U.M. it was damn annoying. What should take 30 minutes could take 3 hours easily. Girl I know works downtown Miami but lives in Plantation. There were days she would leave at 7 in the AM and get to work at 11 AM because of accidents, rubber neckers and whatever else. She know takes the tri rail and said she couldnt be happier.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:37 PM

Yeah, south of the Golden Glades. That's not in Broward is all I am saying, the person I was replying to said 95 is the worst in Broward and 595 is OK. It takes you 20 minutes to get to the Golden Glades, then 45 hour minute to get downtown Miami from there on a good day, and yes, with accidents that goes WAY up. North of the Golden Glades, it's a lot of cars but full speed through basically all of Broward. 595 in Broward on the other can can be a real stop and go PITA without any kind of accident, I would say average 45 minutes from Weston to Downtown Ft. Lauderdale on average compared to a 20-25 minute ride during off-peak times. That easily pushes to an hour with accidents. However, I usually take Griffin Rd if 595 is bad and I end up getting there in 40 minutes tops, and some days it's at least 100% moving, but it's almost always a little slow during morning rush hour. 95 from Hallandale Beach straight to Boca won't top 45 minutes during rush hour even with a few accidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area