Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 12:37 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times

Advertisements

I hope I'm not attacked by armed car burglars in the limitless ghettos of Da Springz...

Actually, the "gang" problem has not really been exaggerated. It supposedly has more gangs then any other city in Broward and I believe it. That is probably where most of the crime there comes from (in the form of thefts, auto thefts, burglary) and they are mostly bored youth gangs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 12:48 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,249,037 times
I'd imagine that Pompano Beach and the inner-city areas of Fort Lauderdale have worse gang problems.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:16 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,245,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
FYI...most of the houses 300K and under are almost ALL exclusively short sales unfortunately. Anyhow, Coral Springs is a nice place to live....very little traffic especially NORTH springs.

One thing I hate about Coral Springs is the city ordinance banning frontage signs for shopping centers/strip malls and gas stations. That means you have no idea what store is here or there without actually driving into the parking lot to take a closer look. NO SIGNS ALLOWED OUT FRONT BY THE ROAD ! What kind of retarded crap is that? Do you know how many times I have almost gotten into an accident because I had to slow down and look at the building to try to see the small sign on the actual building...taking my eyes off the road while I try to make out what the hell it says ! And gas stations ?? Forget about trying to figure out how much a gallon of regular is....you need to drive into the gas station to take a closer look, as again, the city ordinance prevents gas stations from advertising on big signs.

Other than this VERY VERY annoying ordinance that is more of a safety issue than anything else, I enjoy living in Coral Springs.
I can't elieve I never noticed that until you just said that. LOL But you are SO right.
I am always in Coral Springs, but I know it so well, that I know whats in all the shopping plaza's, so that may be why I never noticed. But wow, that is true.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:35 PM

46 posts, read 247,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I hope I'm not attacked by armed car burglars in the limitless ghettos of Da Springz...

Actually, the "gang" problem has not really been exaggerated. It supposedly has more gangs then any other city in Broward and I believe it. That is probably where most of the crime there comes from (in the form of thefts, auto thefts, burglary) and they are mostly bored youth gangs.
I hope you're being sarcastic????????????????????????????????????

Old 09-18-2008, 09:06 PM

2 posts, read 13,815 times
Default Signs

TRIVIA

Coral Springs is the only city in the world that doesn't display the "Golden Arches" in front of a certain well known fast food establishment.
No signs means No Signs.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:06 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,249,037 times
I guess the gorgeous (and by gorgeous, I mean not really) Coral Square Mall is the only building that allows having signs out front...

Old 09-20-2008, 05:46 AM

34 posts, read 132,300 times
I have lived in Coral Springs since 1991 in the same single family house across the street from University Drive, South of Sample Rd. We love the school our son goes to. Parkside Elementary. He has had very good teachers from K-2. We love being able to walk to many things in the center of town: Starbucks, Barnes and Noble, Mullins Park, Post Office and Banks, restaurants. Police and Fire and a minute away. Have never had any problems with gangs or crime. But every large city has some problems. One plus about moving to Coral Springs now is there are lots of homes to choose from. Forclosures and short sales are long processes. But, there are homes to buy that are much better values now than a year or two ago. I have a mint condition 4/2 home that we renovated: mew roof, granite/kitchen, tile, painted in and out. Would have been able to sell it for $360k two years ago. Now on the market for $280k. Appraised for $305k in June this year Send your email and I'll email a link to photos.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:18 PM

30 posts, read 137,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous Mom of Three View Post
Good for new family moving from Indiana? I lived in Coral Springs from 1972-1980 when I was a child. It's been a long time. I see some real estate listings that look sort of in my ball park, but how it is for a wonderbread nerdy family with 3 little kids?
Coral Springs is definitely a great city for families. There are a lot of parks, good schools (considering we're in Florida), and low crime. I have two little kids myself so I understand your title of "Nervous Mom of Three." I get paranoid myself when it comes to living in a safe place for my kids. I've lived in Coral Springs for 17 years and never experienced a crime issue. Yes, just like with any other city, you have your less than favorable areas. But for the most part, it's a safe place to raise a family. I would recommend the North-West area of the city. They are also working on a project to expand our "downtown area" which is just an outdoor shopping plaza now called "The Walk" but is supposed to expand to the entire corner of Sample Road and University Drive. As far as schools go, I would recommend Country Hills Elementary and Douglas High School. There's also Coral Springs Charter School which is a middle and high school on the corner of University & Sample. Parkland is nice too but a little too snobby for me. I can't stand the P.H.O. stickers on their cars (Parkland Home Owner). Makes me want to slash their tires every time I see one of those bumper stickers... I prefer it in Coral Springs where it's more normal and people don't look down on you if you're driving a car worth less than $50,000.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:36 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,052,247 times
the WALK is the most boring place ever. I thought the "walk" would compare to coco-walk in coconut grove in Miami. WRONG ! They really need to "expand" the place and make it more of a place that you would really want to hang out in. Coral springs has a looong way to go in establishing fun and trendy places to go to during the weekends and for happy hour.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 4,500 times
Many of my friends and their families live out in the Coral Springs community. They have a ton of shopping centers, in one of safest city's in Florida (and one of the top 20 in the U.S.(([URL="http://money.aol.com/mortgage/safest-cities"]Safest Cities 2007 - AOL Money & Finance[/URL]))), great restaurants, close to everything you need, and to top that off have some wonderful looking homes. You might find something within your price range and taste for a Coral Springs home here [URL="http://broward.expertrealty.com/coral-springs-homes-for-sale"]Coral Springs Homes For Sale[/URL], hopefully. Out of all of Broward County, this city is one of the nicer places that isn't incredibly overpriced.

Hope this Helps!

Last edited by crayons; 10-06-2008 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area