Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2008, 07:29 AM

1 posts, read 4,267 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about Isla del Sol in Plantation Isles, Florida? Is it an upscale community. Why are the homes on the water priced so moderately compared to other waterfront homes. Are there alligators in that water. Is this a great buying opportunity for a community that's just been affected by the housing market or will the prices remain below $1Mil. Is this community one that is looked at in high regard. Is the closeness to I595 the problem with how people regard this community against some of the other upscale communities? Is bying a home here now a good investment for the future? Is this a community of professional people from all ethnic backgrounds? What's the 411 on Isla del Sol and the Plantation Isles area overall? Just moved to South Florida. Want to be in an upscale area, preferably on the water, with a mix of great, friendly and sophisticated homeowners who take pride in their communities. Thanks.

Last edited by Gammon; 09-21-2008 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 09:47 AM

3 posts, read 6,059 times
I'm looking at relocating to this area. Do you know anything about it? We have 3 school age children. Also, how many mins to get out to ocean by boat?

Old 08-29-2011, 11:03 AM

423 posts, read 1,642,752 times
It is a decent community.... Quite far from the ocean by boat (2 hrs or so?). I doubt anyone will be able to give answers to all your questions unless they really live there, my best advice would be drive around and if you see someone out in the yard say hello and ask them for more input. About the price, we are certainly closer to the bottom then the top and remember the old rule 'buy low, sell high'.

PS: I personally love the area and almost bought a house in Plantation Isles a few months ago.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:04 AM

259 posts, read 1,323,916 times
Both Seminole Middle and South Plantation rank middle of the pack in Florida as does pretty much the entirety of Broward County as a district. Although, if you can afford tuition, St. Thomas is state class.

It takes me 40 minutes to go from the boatworks at I-95 to the ocean at the required no wake speed. I suspect yet getting to the other side of the turnpike would be double that.

And to the first poster, yes, I suspect having two turnpikes within eye and ear shot probably hurts its valuation as does some continuing bank inventory.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:47 PM

351 posts, read 1,126,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkumar3 View Post
It is a decent community.... Quite far from the ocean by boat (2 hrs or so?). I doubt anyone will be able to give answers to all your questions unless they really live there, my best advice would be drive around and if you see someone out in the yard say hello and ask them for more input. About the price, we are certainly closer to the bottom then the top and remember the old rule 'buy low, sell high'.

PS: I personally love the area and almost bought a house in Plantation Isles a few months ago.
It is about 1.5 to 2 hours all the way out to the ocean. However, you can get to the intercoastal in slightly less time, and these numbers will clearly vary depending on the day, season and business of the waterways.

I live in Plantation Isles. Isla del Sol is an HOA community, and not all of the homes are on canals. I really like my area and recommend it highly! Isla del Sol has newer and larger homes than the rest of the Isles, and is gated so it is priced higher. But the more northern streets of the Isles (where I live, closer to Peters) are further away from 595 and the turnpike which is a benefit.

The Plantation Isles housing stock, with the exception of some teardowns and the Isla del Sol homes which are newer, tends to date from the 60s and 1970s. Our house is from 1978. Many of the homes have been upgraded and renovated, but some have not and those tend to be inhabitated by old-timers. Since we moved in I have noticed more younger folks and families moving in, and renovating and improving the homes. The homes can be a challenge for the typical family that wants an HGTV-perfect newer home with granite and all the bells and whistles, but you can find that in any bland and typical HOA community in South Florida.

The parks here are wonderful too, and convenience to both highways and shopping is unbeatable (Whole Foods and the new "green" Publix next door, only 5 minutes away)!

The elementary schools are A schools, and so is South Plantation, though I am not sure about Seminole Middle (may be a B school?)

I asked my neighbors about gators and they reported none have been seen in the ocean access canals (too salty). There are some manatees which is cool.

Feel free to PM me for more info.

Last edited by SierraDog; 08-31-2011 at 01:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area