Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2013, 07:41 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,529,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyLady13 View Post
i think it was the french quarters. it looked like a beautiful victorian house with lots of flowers and foliage around.
I remember the french quarters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 10:35 PM

242 posts, read 499,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
THAT'S IT! The French Quarter. I LOVED that place. Is it still there? As I recall the food was very good, excellent service and atmosphere.

Thank you sooo much, GypsyLady, it was really bugging me that couldn't remember the name. Reps to you!
yes, you beat me to the answer... it did close down. florida turn a bad turn for businesses around 2005 and it got pretty bad where a lot of restaurants were closing/bankrupt.
the french quarters was a beautiful place for afternoon lunch/brunch. i never ate dinner there but i had eaten many a lunch there ( i worked at night ).
there was an excellent italian restaurant in pompano right on federal highway called versuvio's. i don't know if you ever ate here but it was awesome.
remember mother butler pies? on federal and commercial beside the denny's there used to be a mother butler pie shop and it was always packed with a line going out around the parking lot.
the good ole' days... miss them much!

Old 05-18-2013, 05:18 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,180,183 times
Quote:
yes, you beat me to the answer... it did close down. florida turn a bad turn for businesses around 2005 and it got pretty bad where a lot of restaurants were closing/bankrupt.
the french quarters was a beautiful place for afternoon lunch/brunch. i never ate dinner there but i had eaten many a lunch there ( i worked at night ).
there was an excellent italian restaurant in pompano right on federal highway called versuvio's. i don't know if you ever ate here but it was awesome.
remember mother butler pies? on federal and commercial beside the denny's there used to be a mother butler pie shop and it was always packed with a line going out around the parking lot.
the good ole' days... miss them much!
Yes, I remember Vesuvio's, and Mother Butler Pies! Now there's a blast from the past. The pies were famous. And sometimes we'd stop at that Denny's for a really, really early breakfast to top off a night of clubbing, if we were in the aera.

From reading the article on the French Quarter, it seems that he sold the restaurant's land and building as part of a package of property that he owned in the area, not because of the downturn. Someone made him an offer for the real estate that he couldn't refuse. I just hope, for his sake, that the deal went through, there was so much crazy stuff going on with real estate at that time. It would be a shame to have closed it down, only to have the deal go bust. The French Quarter was such a classy place. The owner put his heart and soul into it over the years, so I hope he was well compensated for it in the end.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, I remember Vesuvio's, and Mother Butler Pies! Now there's a blast from the past. The pies were famous. And sometimes we'd stop at that Denny's for a really, really early breakfast to top off a night of clubbing, if we were in the aera.

From reading the article on the French Quarter, it seems that he sold the restaurant's land and building as part of a package of property that he owned in the area, not because of the downturn. Someone made him an offer for the real estate that he couldn't refuse. I just hope, for his sake, that the deal went through, there was so much crazy stuff going on with real estate at that time. It would be a shame to have closed it down, only to have the deal go bust. The French Quarter was such a classy place. The owner put his heart and soul into it over the years, so I hope he was well compensated for it in the end.
i personally don't know the circumstances about why the french quarters was sold but i believe you are correct. that was one prime piece of property. actually the whole area around los olas area is prime property to this day.

do you remember confetti's dance club off commercial blvd? also stan's waterfront dining on the intracoastal and commercial across the water from benihana of tokyo? how about la spada subs on commercial? and bobby rubino's ribs, morrison's cafeteria (loved morrison's blue plate specials) lol.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:

i don't know if you have 'liked' this page on facebook yet but it's wonderful. always posting old florida pictures, miami and fort lauderdale.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/I-Gre...03472476342271

Old 05-18-2013, 12:38 PM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
I grew up in the area in the 70s and partied well into the 80s there. As a gay male my experiences were a tad different from those places mentioned prior though I remember most. My first job was at Jimmy's Restaurant at the curve on US1 at Sunrise Blvd. I used to go out to places like the Marlin Beach Hotel's Poop Deck and Pool Bar (torn down I think?), Backstreet which was on Broward Blvd near the RR tracks, the Copa of course and later on in the 80s the Cathode Ray which I think is still there (on Las Olas?). A good friend of mine worked at Christopher's which looks to maybe be still open (she used to make insane money as a cocktail waitress) and another good friend worked at The Ambry Restaurant on Commercial Blvd east of US1. Is Tina's Italian Restaurant on US1 still open? It was my fave restaurant as a kid and my family went once a week. We also used to go to the Bavarian Village in Hollywood (on US1) and Moy's Chinese Restaurant on Young Circle in Hollywood frequently. Remember the big buddha out front? Ohmigod, and the best pizza ever....Villa Rose in Hollywood on SR 7. Amazing thin crust pizza with good Italian specialties too. My parents used to get ice cold Falstaff on tap. I just loved that place. Just looked and it's still open! Also New England Oyster House....the early Red Lobster-prototype and let's not forget Lum's (it was a must stop before a Dolphins home game to grab a hot dog or two with sauerkraut). Good times!

Old 05-18-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I grew up in the area in the 70s and partied well into the 80s there. As a gay male my experiences were a tad different from those places mentioned prior though I remember most. My first job was at Jimmy's Restaurant at the curve on US1 at Sunrise Blvd. I used to go out to places like the Marlin Beach Hotel's Poop Deck and Pool Bar (torn down I think?), Backstreet which was on Broward Blvd near the RR tracks, the Copa of course and later on in the 80s the Cathode Ray which I think is still there (on Las Olas?). A good friend of mine worked at Christopher's which looks to maybe be still open (she used to make insane money as a cocktail waitress) and another good friend worked at The Ambry Restaurant on Commercial Blvd east of US1. Is Tina's Italian Restaurant on US1 still open? It was my fave restaurant as a kid and my family went once a week. We also used to go to the Bavarian Village in Hollywood (on US1) and Moy's Chinese Restaurant on Young Circle in Hollywood frequently. Remember the big buddha out front? Ohmigod, and the best pizza ever....Villa Rose in Hollywood on SR 7. Amazing thin crust pizza with good Italian specialties too. My parents used to get ice cold Falstaff on tap. I just loved that place. Just looked and it's still open! Also New England Oyster House....the early Red Lobster-prototype and let's not forget Lum's (it was a must stop before a Dolphins home game to grab a hot dog or two with sauerkraut). Good times!
Kyle, have you seen this thread on Backstreet? The club forum also has threads on the Marlin Beach and the Copa.

http://www.discomusic.com/clubs-more/4449_0_6_0_C/

I definitely remember Tina's, Bavarian Village and of course Lum's.

Christopher's was one of the ultimate hetero single-mingle spots, but another poster on this thread said it is long gone.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
i personally don't know the circumstances about why the french quarters was sold but i believe you are correct. that was one prime piece of property. actually the whole area around los olas area is prime property to this day.

do you remember confetti's dance club off commercial blvd? also stan's waterfront dining on the intracoastal and commercial across the water from benihana of tokyo? how about la spada subs on commercial? and bobby rubino's ribs, morrison's cafeteria (loved morrison's blue plate specials) lol.
Yes, I remember Confetti's, what a blast! Loved Bobby Rubino's ribs for sure. There were some rumors where the money came from that backed it.

Oooh, just remembered. Carlos and Pepe's! Fun Mexican restaurant, although sometimes the food could be a little bland. But I enjoyed the atomosphere. Is it still there?

Old 05-18-2013, 05:59 PM

443 posts, read 895,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Is Tina's Italian Restaurant on US1 still open? It was my fave restaurant as a kid and my family went once a week. We also used to go to the Bavarian Village in Hollywood (on US1) and Moy's Chinese Restaurant on Young Circle in Hollywood frequently. Remember the big buddha out front? Ohmigod, and the best pizza ever....Villa Rose in Hollywood on SR 7. Amazing thin crust pizza with good Italian specialties too. My parents used to get ice cold Falstaff on tap. I just loved that place. Just looked and it's still open! Also New England Oyster House....the early Red Lobster-prototype and let's not forget Lum's (it was a must stop before a Dolphins home game to grab a hot dog or two with sauerkraut). Good times!
Tina's - closed.
Bavarian Village - closed and torn down.
Moy's - closed.
Lum's - closed.

I miss 'em all.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:21 PM

One place I never went but always wanted to was the Mai-Kai on Federal Highway, just to see the show. I guess it's still there.

Mr. Laff's would occasionally have a good comic or two.

Is The Caves still there?

What about Ruth's Chris? Best. Steak. Ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area