Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2016, 11:21 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times

Advertisements

Ohhh yeah! Cruising on my motorcycle from Lake Worth in Palm Beach County...straight to the Candy Store on the ocean front in Fort Lauderdale to hang out all day at the bar with all them beach bunnies! The best of times...I wonder what happened to my Candy Store tee shirt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 07:45 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eigerzoom View Post
Water works was on southwest corner of commercial blvd and dixie hwy.
I lived across the street in 79/80.
Been scouring the internet to hopefully find some pictures, but nothing yet.
Childhood memories
I only went to Water Works a couple times......It was probably a 4-6 slide waterpark (tiny by today's standards). Earlier in this thread someone mentioned their dad owned it, might be a source for pics!

Old 08-23-2016, 08:25 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,611,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieB1964 View Post
Who remembers Penrods on the beach and Big Daddy's on 441 near N. Lauderdale?
I was born in Broward General in 1960... so all of your posts are bringing back thoughts of great times growing up in South Florida....

I lived in Wilton Manors - BEFORE it's 'transformation...'
Went to Wilton Manors Elementary and then, when bussing happened, a private School, St. Marks on Oakland Park Blvd. I went to Fort Lauderdale High - Home of the Flying L's - Class of '78!

Here's some more things some of you will remember...

Jefferson's... on Federal Highway.
Myer's Pizza on NE. 26th Street - in the same strip mall as WM's only movie theatre, along side Williams's City Drugs, Moore's Jewelry, and Ajax Beer Shack... Let's not forget the A&P that got converted to The Old Florida Seafood House - or the Carvel ice cream shop...

Down the street was Mercer's Cleaners where they put up a cute phrase on their marquee every week that was next door to Bixler Animal Hospital and across the street from it was Barton & Miller Cleaners at Five Points.

The Clock restaurant - where a movie - can't recall the name - was filmed. Speaking of food. let us not forget the A&W - where they sold .19 cent hot dogs any way you want them, on Tuesday... We'd go there when I was in high school, and the person that sat behind me after lunch got smoked out badly...

5 Points Lawn & Garden was the place to go for your gardening supplies. Eric was a man who was a worker there, was severely disabled from some disease, but would work his butt off if you hired him to clean up your yard or garden...

Manor Lanes was the spot to go to knock down some pins - it was a 20 lane bowling alley and always a good time was to be had inside. On 15th ave the first Wilton Manors 7-11 was located... it later got moved to 15th and 26th street when they added gas pumps in the late 70's...

I did laundry once on the corner of Andrews Ave and 26th street - and the guy that played Lamont on Sanford & Son's came in to do his laundry. We talked for a bit - I acted like I didn't know who he was - because I knew he got hounded all the time. He acted somewhat frustrated me not knowing - or acting like I didn't know who he was... I finally gave in and said that I was just treating him like an ordinary dude - and we laughed as he thanked me telling me stories about the hassles of being Lamont...

I could go on and on and on about my home town... to some of you, 'our' home town... but I'll close for now... I hope you enjoyed my post... and will look forward to yours...

Old 08-23-2016, 09:10 AM

240 posts, read 261,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUMF View Post
I was born in Broward General in 1960... so all of your posts are bringing back thoughts of great times growing up in South Florida....

I lived in Wilton Manors - BEFORE it's 'transformation...'
Went to Wilton Manors Elementary and then, when bussing happened, a private School, St. Marks on Oakland Park Blvd. I went to Fort Lauderdale High - Home of the Flying L's - Class of '78!

Here's some more things some of you will remember...

Jefferson's... on Federal Highway.
Myer's Pizza on NE. 26th Street - in the same strip mall as WM's only movie theatre, along side Williams's City Drugs, Moore's Jewelry, and Ajax Beer Shack... Let's not forget the A&P that got converted to The Old Florida Seafood House - or the Carvel ice cream shop...

Down the street was Mercer's Cleaners where they put up a cute phrase on their marquee every week that was next door to Bixler Animal Hospital and across the street from it was Barton & Miller Cleaners at Five Points.

The Clock restaurant - where a movie - can't recall the name - was filmed. Speaking of food. let us not forget the A&W - where they sold .19 cent hot dogs any way you want them, on Tuesday... We'd go there when I was in high school, and the person that sat behind me after lunch got smoked out badly...

5 Points Lawn & Garden was the place to go for your gardening supplies. Eric was a man who was a worker there, was severely disabled from some disease, but would work his butt off if you hired him to clean up your yard or garden...

Manor Lanes was the spot to go to knock down some pins - it was a 20 lane bowling alley and always a good time was to be had inside. On 15th ave the first Wilton Manors 7-11 was located... it later got moved to 15th and 26th street when they added gas pumps in the late 70's...

I did laundry once on the corner of Andrews Ave and 26th street - and the guy that played Lamont on Sanford & Son's came in to do his laundry. We talked for a bit - I acted like I didn't know who he was - because I knew he got hounded all the time. He acted somewhat frustrated me not knowing - or acting like I didn't know who he was... I finally gave in and said that I was just treating him like an ordinary dude - and we laughed as he thanked me telling me stories about the hassles of being Lamont...

I could go on and on and on about my home town... to some of you, 'our' home town... but I'll close for now... I hope you enjoyed my post... and will look forward to yours...
How do you feel about your hometown today, if you could be honest and forthright?

Old 08-23-2016, 12:35 PM

I have nothing to hide, and am always honest and forthright...
My hometown will always be my home town. My friends I had in the 2nd grade will always be my friends, unless and until they do something that causes me to break that friendship.
I don't like the 'transformation' that the city has done to Ft. Lauderdale... they killed spring break - and that was once it's signature. Sure, traffic upsets the old snowbirds that come down, but they're from New York, Ohio, Canada, New Jersey and PA - and deserve a little pissin' off... (he says with a smile).

I've always wondered, if they call it 'Tourist Season' does that mean we can shoot them?....

Several years ago I went back home when one of my best friends I ever had died. I went to the bar that he and I used to frequent. We used to be on the Thursday night dart team at Smith Brothers in the Crossroads Shopping center. We walked in and knew right away that this isn't the same bar we once frequented. It wasn't called Smith Brothers anymore and let's just say that the cliental was....(trying to figure out how to word this - I'll just be honest and forthright) .... it was now a gay bar and I'm straight... I felt way out of place and left...

I've got friends that are gay - men and women - but I felt more comfortable leaving than staying... how's THAT for honest and forthright? lol

To see how the house I was raised in - that honestly used to be the nicest looking house on the block, now is in need of some serious yard work - could use a new roof - the black olive tree that was once only the height of the house needs some serious pruning... seeing my old house brought a tear or two to my eyes...

A1A now only goes in one direction on the beach (North) is sad... I put more miles on my car driving 'The Strip' than Richard Petty put in his lifetime on a NASCAR track...

I still honked the car horn going thru the tunnel - back in the day when I had a 5 speed, I used to make it backfire on purpose in there - talk about scaring some old geezer in a Caddy.... that took the cake!

You can't ever REALLY go back home - because so much has changed. I left Lauderdale in 1986... so it's been 30 years... more things have changed than have stayed the same... But, it's still my hometown... and I still claim her as my own.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:12 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Quote:
I have nothing to hide, and am always honest and forthright...
My hometown will always be my home town. My friends I had in the 2nd grade will always be my friends, unless and until they do something that causes me to break that friendship.
I don't like the 'transformation' that the city has done to Ft. Lauderdale... they killed spring break - and that was once it's signature. Sure, traffic upsets the old snowbirds that come down, but they're from New York, Ohio, Canada, New Jersey and PA - and deserve a little pissin' off... (he says with a smile).

I've always wondered, if they call it 'Tourist Season' does that mean we can shoot them?....

Several years ago I went back home when one of my best friends I ever had died. I went to the bar that he and I used to frequent. We used to be on the Thursday night dart team at Smith Brothers in the Crossroads Shopping center. We walked in and knew right away that this isn't the same bar we once frequented. It wasn't called Smith Brothers anymore and let's just say that the cliental was....(trying to figure out how to word this - I'll just be honest and forthright) .... it was now a gay bar and I'm straight... I felt way out of place and left...

I've got friends that are gay - men and women - but I felt more comfortable leaving than staying... how's THAT for honest and forthright? lol

To see how the house I was raised in - that honestly used to be the nicest looking house on the block, now is in need of some serious yard work - could use a new roof - the black olive tree that was once only the height of the house needs some serious pruning... seeing my old house brought a tear or two to my eyes...

A1A now only goes in one direction on the beach (North) is sad... I put more miles on my car driving 'The Strip' than Richard Petty put in his lifetime on a NASCAR track...

I still honked the car horn going thru the tunnel - back in the day when I had a 5 speed, I used to make it backfire on purpose in there - talk about scaring some old geezer in a Caddy.... that took the cake!

You can't ever REALLY go back home - because so much has changed. I left Lauderdale in 1986... so it's been 30 years... more things have changed than have stayed the same... But, it's still my hometown... and I still claim her as my own.

Hehe, when I had my GTO, I goosed it a bit every time I went through the tunnel

Old 08-24-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Hehe, when I had my GTO, I goosed it a bit every time I went through the tunnel
It wasn't blue with a drop top was it? Kurt?... lol

Old 08-24-2016, 08:58 AM

240 posts, read 261,978 times
Quote:
I don't like the 'transformation' that the city has done to Ft. Lauderdale... they killed spring break - and that was once it's signature. Sure, traffic upsets the old snowbirds that come down, but they're from New York, Ohio, Canada, New Jersey and PA - and deserve a little pissin' off... (he says with a smile). I've always wondered, if they call it 'Tourist Season' does that mean we can shoot them?.... Several years ago I went back home when one of my best friends I ever had died. I went to the bar that he and I used to frequent. We used to be on the Thursday night dart team at Smith Brothers in the Crossroads Shopping center. We walked in and knew right away that this isn't the same bar we once frequented. It wasn't called Smith Brothers anymore and let's just say that the clientele was....(trying to figure out how to word this - I'll just be honest and forthright) .... it was now a gay bar and I'm straight... I felt way out of place and left...I've got friends that are gay - men and women - but I felt more comfortable leaving than staying...how's THAT for honest and forthright?
I feel your pain .... Sad.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,390 times
Smile Reminiscing

Wow, I stumbled across this thread and had to add my 2 cents.. Not sure if anyone still reading..?

had my first exposure to Ft. Lauderdale on a road trip with a friend in 1980. I was 17. We visited her friend who was attending the Art Institute (next to the Holiday Inn A1A & Las Olas) I was absolutely hooked. Visited another 1-2 x and then moved there in January of '85!! had a few hundred dollars and a dream!

First job at Gibby's restaurant on Oakland Park Blvd (now closed) couldn't carry the trays with the heavy pewter plates..LoL..only lasted 3 days. Had better luck on the strip, hired by the Sheraton Yankee Trader and never looked back. Server, cocktail waitress then bartender. Crazy good $$$ to be made. Worked there the whole time til I ended up leaving the area right before Andrew hit in 1992. Made great friends and always lived in nice places east of Federal Highway with the exception of first apt in Oakland park. Lived in Lauderdale Towers across from Shooter's/Bootleggers..awesome. I think it went condo?

Great memories of carefree beach time..loving life and glad to be out of brutal NE winters.
Confetti/Reunion Room...Shaker's...Squeeze..Bahia Cabana. it was all amazing

I left to get married (back to WNY) and that was unfortunately a disaster...I should have gone back but I didn't and now it's been 25 yrs!
I visit at least once a year since I left. The last visit down in November 2016 I remember thinking it had changed so much and was so built up & busy that I didn't think I could actually handle living there again now at my age. But boy I have the greatest memories of S. Fla during those times!!

So nice to read all the posts!

Old 07-14-2017, 08:30 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DERBYLU View Post
Wow, I stumbled across this thread and had to add my 2 cents.. Not sure if anyone still reading..?

had my first exposure to Ft. Lauderdale on a road trip with a friend in 1980. I was 17. We visited her friend who was attending the Art Institute (next to the Holiday Inn A1A & Las Olas) I was absolutely hooked. Visited another 1-2 x and then moved there in January of '85!! had a few hundred dollars and a dream!

First job at Gibby's restaurant on Oakland Park Blvd (now closed) couldn't carry the trays with the heavy pewter plates..LoL..only lasted 3 days. Had better luck on the strip, hired by the Sheraton Yankee Trader and never looked back. Server, cocktail waitress then bartender. Crazy good $$$ to be made. Worked there the whole time til I ended up leaving the area right before Andrew hit in 1992. Made great friends and always lived in nice places east of Federal Highway with the exception of first apt in Oakland park. Lived in Lauderdale Towers across from Shooter's/Bootleggers..awesome. I think it went condo?

Great memories of carefree beach time..loving life and glad to be out of brutal NE winters.
Confetti/Reunion Room...Shaker's...Squeeze..Bahia Cabana. it was all amazing

I left to get married (back to WNY) and that was unfortunately a disaster...I should have gone back but I didn't and now it's been 25 yrs!
I visit at least once a year since I left. The last visit down in November 2016 I remember thinking it had changed so much and was so built up & busy that I didn't think I could actually handle living there again now at my age. But boy I have the greatest memories of S. Fla during those times!!

So nice to read all the posts!
Thanks for sharing! I haven't looked at the thread for a while, and it's nice to see your post. It was a great time. Good money, work hard, play hard. Great food and entertainment. Like I've said, I wish I had a time machine to go back and spend a weekend in Ft. Lauderdale during the 1980s. I know exactly what I'd do, where I'd go, who I'd see again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area