Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 07:04 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,113,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Albright View Post
Septembers restaurant was owned by Steve Vincent. I was electrical contractor who did all of his electrical for all of his clubs. Roland's was a place run by one of his managers Roland. I knew both of them very well as the electrical contractor we did the electrical work on all of the restaurants including LeTris.
Then you must have known Adache the architect, as I recall he also did a lot of work for Vincent, including that huge one bedroom bachelor pad, I think it was over in Harbor Isles across from Pier 66. As I recall, LeTris was side by side with Montego Bay. It was called something else before it was LeTris, or was it LeTris first followed by another establishment? I forget. All I can remember were those crazy wigs the staff wore. That was such a busy area, Oakland and Federal Hwy. Montego Bay, LeTris, September's, Roland's, etc.

Vincent did a pretty good job with his clubs, he was like Ft. Lauderdale's host with the most in the 1980s. Legendary, actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 04:46 PM

16,979 posts, read 21,625,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
What are they going to build there instead? Another condo?
Looks like 439 of them!
439 apartments proposed on site of former strip club - Sun Sentinel

The city of Oakland Park is hoping the site of a former strip club becomes a different type of attraction.

If the proposed project is approved, the old Pure Platinum location, at 3411 N. Federal Highway, would make way for commercial and retail space and hundreds of rental apartments. City officials said the project is tentatively scheduled to come before the Planning & Zoning Board in July.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Looks like 439 of them!

The city of Oakland Park is hoping the site of a former strip club becomes a different type of attraction.

If the proposed project is approved, the old Pure Platinum location, at 3411 N. Federal Highway, would make way for commercial and retail space and hundreds of rental apartments. City officials said the project is tentatively scheduled to come before the Planning & Zoning Board in July.
Ah, but the ghost of Mindy will always haunt the area.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Ah, but the ghost of Mindy will always haunt the area.
No doubt some of the tenants of that building will still be dancing the night away at a club outside the city limits!

I knew someone that rented apartments in a 400 unit complex in western Pompano and she told me they had over a dozen dancers living there at any time. They usually all had the income but rarely had the credit to get approved so their "uncle, step dad, brother" would co-sign the apartments. They usually paid with money orders also.

In a couple of cases they needed to be evicted for renting other things in the apartments.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
No doubt some of the tenants of that building will still be dancing the night away at a club outside the city limits!

I knew someone that rented apartments in a 400 unit complex in western Pompano and she told me they had over a dozen dancers living there at any time. They usually all had the income but rarely had the credit to get approved so their "uncle, step dad, brother" would co-sign the apartments. They usually paid with money orders also.

In a couple of cases they needed to be evicted for renting other things in the apartments.
I guess any of the "adult entertainment" action that used to be in Ft. Lauderdale has relocated to Pompano. As I recall, that was part of the city's effort to be more "family-friendly", along with trying to eliminate the nastier effects of the spring break phenomenon.

One of the first apartments I rented in Ft. Lauderdale back in the day was on Hendricks Isle, and I was on a speaking basis with a gal about my age who lived in the same complex. Seemed like a nice enough person, not the sharpest tool in the shed, pleasant looking but certainly not a bombshell, not a flashy dresser, didn't show off any assets or anything like that. One day she disappeared and the assistant manager of the complex just mumbled something about prostitution when I asked where she went. Never saw her again.

Old 06-30-2018, 03:55 PM

I used to valet at Beach Place (complex built about 20 yrs ago 1 blk north of Elbo room). We had about a dozen regular hookers that came in weekly. One named "Carol" worked the day shift at a shady strip club like in Coral Springs/Margate. She would always have great stories and usually worked clients over really good.....she would see us and say to the "john" oh take care of these guys they really helped me out last week, changed a tire, jump started my car (lies) and we would get $20-50 for doing absolutely NOTHING!

I saw at lot of craziness in the 2 yrs I worked there! Short skirts/low cars like Corvettes = way too much to see and it seemed like nobody wore underwear!

https://www.galleryatbeachplace.com/

Old 06-30-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
I used to valet at Beach Place (complex built about 20 yrs ago 1 blk north of Elbo room). We had about a dozen regular hookers that came in weekly. One named "Carol" worked the day shift at a shady strip club like in Coral Springs/Margate. She would always have great stories and usually worked clients over really good.....she would see us and say to the "john" oh take care of these guys they really helped me out last week, changed a tire, jump started my car (lies) and we would get $20-50 for doing absolutely NOTHING!

I saw at lot of craziness in the 2 yrs I worked there! Short skirts/low cars like Corvettes = way too much to see and it seemed like nobody wore underwear!

https://www.galleryatbeachplace.com/
Yikes! on that Beach Place area, that is really something. I probably wouldn't even recognize a lot of Ft. Lauderdale anymore, I've not been there since 2000. Well, good on Carol for taking care of you guys, because her "friends" probably wouldn't have done so on their own.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:26 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,775,767 times
Quote:
Looks like 439 of them!

They should install poles instead of elevators.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
They should install poles instead of elevators.
In this thread, Best. Comment. Ever.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Yikes! on that Beach Place area, that is really something. I probably wouldn't even recognize a lot of Ft. Lauderdale anymore, I've not been there since 2000. Well, good on Carol for taking care of you guys, because her "friends" probably wouldn't have done so on their own.
Yeah you wouldn't recognize much. Primati's pizza (Sunrise/A1A) is still there and still open all night, so is the Parrot Bar (next door), but where Fuddruckers Sunrise/US1 is now an Audi dealer with a GIGANTIC condo behind it on the water. Who would buy a condo overlooking a row of car dealers? https://riva-residences.com/

Southport is still the same, beer you spilled in 1980 is still stuck to the floor! I ate there 2 weeks ago. Houstons (Pompano- Atlantic/ICW) is still popular but they have now banned boat docking.....

The condo influx is gross......1/2 condo 1/2 hotel complexes seem like the worst idea. Las Olas literally opens/closes restaurants so often that you don't recognize the change but the Floridian diner is still there on the corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area