Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2019, 02:07 PM

13 posts, read 7,248 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Florida, born 1994, Broward County area. I've seen the huge change from the 90s to today in terms of technology and people. Haven't seen a whole lot of other states other than Illinois and some Texas. I've seen ft Lauderdale is much less crowded than Miami, and it has some new corporate buildings but not much else lately.

Ft Lauderdale seems like a well developed corporate area, and less crowded than Miami. However you have to consider it's a major city, so it's going to grow more than the areas around it. It has the room to expand anyway; and it's more inland and northward of Miami. Generally you can get where you want to get to in the exact time suggested on GPS. However, there's no reason for me to really go up there either. There are shiny new corporate buildings and some new stuff there, but no distinct style from what I've seen. If everyone's retired with their own house and stuff there doesn't seem to be much going on depending where you're at, unless you are working there I guess, lol

In Miami (south of Ft Lauderdale) it almost seems like a trashy place to live: I've had bad experiences just going down there to have job interviews and other visits. Pay to park, get stuck in traffic jams, take 2x the "suggested time" to get to a destination. lol.. I have no reason to be in either spot usually; maybe people in the area know more about the fun places to be. I have no idea what it used to be like, I just assume there was much less traffic back then. Miami traffic and population is more than just a joke, and every driver thinks they are "more important" than you; You have to almost cause an accident just to get into a line of cars and find a way to leave the city. They can't expand unless someone literally makes a man-made island so it's only going to get worse until the whole area is flooded. You haven't truly lived near Miami until you visit, and get stuck in a traffic jam that's "going the wrong way" for an hour.

I currently still live in the Broward County areas between Aventura and Ft Lauderdale. Lots of retirees, Not that they are bad, but it's something to consider. Anyway it's not all that bad, but my experiences going to both cities have been rather bland or not that fun anyway. I prefer more rural, in-between, or less known areas as a natural born Floridian. I'd only live in Ft Lauderdale if you work there pretty much.

Anyway time for me to stop spam-editting this and ranting about traffic, which really isn't half as bad sometimes as I made it seem (unless you are in Miami).

Last edited by fish of joy; 05-11-2019 at 03:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 04:37 PM

5 posts, read 6,441 times
That’s right... round building... rooftop. We used to go there once in a while after work when I was working at September. Gay club? Guess I wasn’t there long enough or often enough to notice... I DID, however, go to The Copa MANY TIMES with my girlfriends because we could get as wild as we wanted and didn’t have to deal with guys hitting on us. ALWAYS had a fantastic time there!!! Dancing and laughing.... one of my favorite memories.

Old 05-27-2019, 03:36 PM

15 posts, read 21,429 times
I first moved to Ft Lauderdale in 1979. I was 22, had a brand new corvette and really enjoyed it but I learned a great lesson, be nice to the people on the way up, cause you'll meet the same people on the way back down

Old 05-30-2019, 10:40 PM

642 posts, read 562,964 times
Default Anybody Remember Hopkins Apartments in Hallandale

I remember visiting Hallandale Beach back in the mid and late 70's and we would stay for a week in a place called Hopkins Apartments. Just a few single story buildings with 1 bedroom apartments. I think they were just off of Hallandale Beach Blvd. They were run by an older couple who used to live in Canada and they lived in the front apartment. The man had previously either owned or ran a gas station in Pompano. That's about all I can remember.

Anybody know if the place still exists? I've been 'roaming' around google maps but can't find any buildings that remotely look like what's in my memory of the place.

I'm sure its a different name if it does exist. I thought it would be fun to stay there again with my family on a visit. Sort of go back to the past.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:36 PM
GES

1 posts, read 936 times
Remember Belle’s Sunday evening “Dynasty” re-caps! She always referred to me as, “her lovely Daughter, Amanda” when she’d see me in the crowd! Kind of a special memory now for me and she was TRULY a “one-of-a-kind” Entertainer Extraordinare! Miss those innocent and care-free days!

Old 08-16-2019, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 869 times
Hey there. Wondering who you are. I grew up at the same time you did and every one of the places you mention are dear to my heart, especially Moe's (sons Frank and Jay--Frank opened a shop years ago after his dad died). Anyway, I went to Broward, you went to Nova. Perhaps we know some of the same people. Jr. High?

Old 08-16-2019, 06:12 PM

16,979 posts, read 21,625,959 times
84 Diner closed this week after 30 years.......
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/enterta...sdq-story.html

I've never been there but drove by it many times.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:21 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,387,378 times
^ Used to go there once in a while years ago. I remember the big coffee mugs.

There was some other place by the Art Institute. Was that Eat at Joe’s or something? I believe it was once a strip club - I mean more like an old school burlesque place I guess. It had kind of an odd setup and the seats/booths were sparkly red vinyl.

Another oddball place I never went back to, although I meant to!

Old 08-17-2019, 02:15 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,775,767 times
We better start going to these old places before they close.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:45 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,408,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
We better start going to these old places before they close.
Drive fast as the changes pink up apace

It would even surprise Alvin Toffler......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area