Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Florida: Broward, oceanfront home, apartment for rent, relocation package, Pembroke Pines.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,471 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,

I am a young Asian guy who grew up most of my life at NYC, went to school in Boston, then moved back to the city for work...about 2 years by now. I recently received a job offer in Broward County. Well South Florida is quite a cool place to be I gotta say...but frankly, based on my past visit experience (rather limited though - 1 time during a spring break back in college, the other for the interview of this job), I kinda come up with a general impression that, it's a great place to visit but in some aspects it may be a bit much to call it home.

I am having quite a hard time right now of making the eventual decision. They offered me like a 30% raise (65k - nothing exceptional, but not too bad for my age either), possibly better prospects, as well as quite a decent relocation assistance package. For many other young and single individuals like me, I can see that it's quite a no brainer and it's crazy not to accept it....I dunno, probably due to my (upbringing and ethnical) background and such, in a way I am kinda worry that I might not fit in too well when LIVING in the area.

Not just that the general atmosphere (social, physical, cultural,...you name it) is like the complete opposite extremes of the spectrum, between that of NYC and SoFla, but literally I didn't even spot ANY Asian (I am of Chinese descent) presence when traveling down there. I believe I am open-minded enough to bear with all this/make friends/live within a rather unfamiliar cultural settings, but on the other hand, how's the acceptance level of SoFla towards someone like me?

Please advise me ppl......being a lifelong New Yorker I am rather the straight-forward and yet realistic type......so feel free to even say "yo stay the **** out of my town we don't welcome your kind here"......hey after all, it's better to find out now than later!

Anyway, thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 05:53 PM

326 posts, read 1,452,611 times
Relax and sit back, Nad818. No one will make you feel unwelcome in Broward County. There is so much diversity there that no one will even notice your descent. You may not have seen much Asian heritage when you visited, but only because there is such a diverse heritage, it is hard to notice anything. I lived in Broward County for 12 years, I have met all kinds of people: Asian, African Americans, white Americans, Europeans and, of course, all kinds of Latinos. You won't have a problem fitting in. Just keep an open attitude. Do not exclude anyone and you won't be excluded.

Your problem may be that South Florida is so different from NYC. But is it a problem? You are young: is there anything wrong in trying something totally different? Give it a try: at the vert least, you will love it for a few years. Then, when you are ready for some rooting, you can decide what you want to call (your next) home.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:39 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nad818 View Post
Hey folks,

I am a young Asian guy who grew up most of my life at NYC, went to school in Boston, then moved back to the city for work...about 2 years by now. I recently received a job offer in Broward County. Well South Florida is quite a cool place to be I gotta say...but frankly, based on my past visit experience (rather limited though - 1 time during a spring break back in college, the other for the interview of this job), I kinda come up with a general impression that, it's a great place to visit but in some aspects it may be a bit much to call it home.

I am having quite a hard time right now of making the eventual decision. They offered me like a 30% raise (65k - nothing exceptional, but not too bad for my age either), possibly better prospects, as well as quite a decent relocation assistance package. For many other young and single individuals like me, I can see that it's quite a no brainer and it's crazy not to accept it....I dunno, probably due to my (upbringing and ethnical) background and such, in a way I am kinda worry that I might not fit in too well when LIVING in the area.

Not just that the general atmosphere (social, physical, cultural,...you name it) is like the complete opposite extremes of the spectrum, between that of NYC and SoFla, but literally I didn't even spot ANY Asian (I am of Chinese descent) presence when traveling down there. I believe I am open-minded enough to bear with all this/make friends/live within a rather unfamiliar cultural settings, but on the other hand, how's the acceptance level of SoFla towards someone like me?

Please advise me ppl......being a lifelong New Yorker I am rather the straight-forward and yet realistic type......so feel free to even say "yo stay the **** out of my town we don't welcome your kind here"......hey after all, it's better to find out now than later!

I grew up in South Florida, went to school in Boston as well (BU '07!) and now am living in NYC for law school, so I can answer questions you may have.

If you want to live in an urban, Manhattan-type area, Broward County will not satisfy what you want. However, if you are alright with living in a dense, suburban area with a lot to do that is just a short drive away then you will be fine. $65,000 is a great salary for someone in their mid-20's. You will be able to afford a nice apartment (or a nice oceanfront apartment with a roommate), have a nice car, and eat out/shop often. You won't be living like a celebrity, but you will be comfortable.

In regards to you being Asian, you are right that there are not many Asians in South Florida. However, the SW Broward suburbs of Miramar (West) and Pembroke Pines have relatively high Asian populations for the area. In Pembroke Pines especially there are a lot of nice apartment/townhouse complexes with young people living in them of all backgrounds: Anglo, Hispanic, Jewish, East Asian, South Asian, African-American, Afro-Caribbean, etc. If you wish to live in an upscale area by the beach, your neighborhood will likely be majority non-Hispanic white but there will be plenty of Hispanics and a few Asians around as well. Broward is a fairly diverse place and I think that if you just keep in mind that there really are no majority-Asian neighborhoods down in South Florida, you will be fine.

Best of luck!

Old 10-30-2008, 09:40 PM

44 posts, read 107,745 times
Im asian, and I moved down here for school. I really advise you not to move here. People here are rude. And to top it off, there are no asians. I have not been to a good asian restaurant. It is sad here. As soon as I graduate, which is like in 3 and 1/2 years, IM OUT.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:36 PM

19 posts, read 106,651 times
stay ou of a bad neighborhood

Old 11-14-2008, 04:42 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Hey folks,

Broward is quite diverse. There are not that many Asians here, but there is so much diversity that people are very comfortable with others who are not of the same ethnic background. I am currently a student taking a class where I am in the public schools and I can honestly say that there is every different ethnic background you can think of in Broward.

I am also from NY. I grew up on LI and lived in Westchester and CT as an adult. When my husband and I moved to this area one of the things we loved is the diversity. I do not think you will have a problem as long as you do not require tons of Asians around you. You will be able to meet people and should not have a problem with people writing you off.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:56 AM

245 posts, read 1,171,187 times
Quote:
Hey folks,

South Florida is not as diverse as NYC by any means, i really don't know why people think it is, i'm black and i'm from the DC area and there is more Asians in D.C. than it is down here, the only time i see a Asian is in the nail salon,sorry but it's true. Do you have any friends down here or family or anybody who you know? Congratulations on your job offer, that's great money for a single young male, but money isn't everything and you might feel a little bit out of place down here because it's not that diverse, plus it's a bit slow down here. If i was you, i wouldn't do it, try relocating to D.C. instead, it's hip, there are lots of Asians there, club life, history, art, lots of culture, lots of things to do, why would you want to be stuck down here just for the party life, that sh*t gets old after a while and i know you'll make more in D.C., i love Asians, man there are so many cool Asians up there, you'll be surprise. If you do decide to move down here, please give the forum some updates on your stay down here. Good Luck

Old 11-24-2008, 12:34 AM

39 posts, read 121,381 times
Problems I see with people saying South Florida is not diverse is because your looking for specific people. In NYC and other cities, most people will group together and separate themselves, making them more apparent, unlike here where most will blend in. There are quite a few Asians here, and they hang out in specific areas or clubs, but there's no "chinatown" here because everyone blends together and tend not to segregate themselves. There is no need for it as like in NYC or SF. Also remember that So Fla has Asians from the Carribbean. I have been to NYC, DC, LA, Chicago, ATL, Detroit, NJ, Toronto, SF, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, and many others and the one thing I hate about those cities is that people will tend to congregate into certain areas and make them race based, something that I didn't grow up with and I'm not used to. Same goes for my family and In-Laws growing up outside the US.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:10 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
Problems I see with people saying South Florida is not diverse is because your looking for specific people. In NYC and other cities, most people will group together and separate themselves, making them more apparent, unlike here where most will blend in. There are quite a few Asians here, and they hang out in specific areas or clubs, but there's no "chinatown" here because everyone blends together and tend not to segregate themselves. There is no need for it as like in NYC or SF. Also remember that So Fla has Asians from the Caribbean. I have been to NYC, DC, LA, Chicago, ATL, Detroit, NJ, Toronto, SF, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, and many others and the one thing I hate about those cities is that people will tend to congregate into certain areas and make them race based, something that I didn't grow up with and I'm not used to. Same goes for my family and In-Laws growing up outside the US.
i cant speak for the Caribbean but every where else in the world people generally tend to live amongst their own. YOu go to London, Toronto, Freetown, Cairo and a ton of other places and you will see areas where ethnic groups live amongst themselves. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:06 PM

39 posts, read 121,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
i cant speak for the Caribbean but every where else in the world people generally tend to live amongst their own. YOu go to London, Toronto, Freetown, Cairo and a ton of other places and you will see areas where ethnic groups live amongst themselves. Nothing wrong with that in my book.
There is nothing wrong with it most cases. But you will find most areas that group themselves like that will also oppose certain ideas or live certain ways that separates themselves. It usually causes stereotyping in most cases. Look at the Muslim community in the UK thats now under fire for having "radical" Muslim ideology with natural born citizens of Arab descent in the London. Same goes for Chinatown in NYC. If your not Chinese, don't hang around after 9pm unless your looking for trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
View detailed profiles of: