U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 08:50 AM

3 posts, read 7,563 times

Advertisements

All,

After spending the last 2 weeks at our family's place in Ft. Lauderdale (beside Lago Mar Hotel) we are considering a move from Toronto, Canada. We have a son who is 2 years old and another one coming in June. We are somewhat familiar with the area because of our family's place on the beach but we have no clue about areas that would be good for a family to live in. Part of the motivation for the move is to have my wife stay home with the kids so we would ideally be looking for a place in the $350-$400k range. I would be travelling for work so we would ideally want to be close to the Lauderdale airport and I guess Miami airport for more flight options. I wouldn't rule out looking north but I just don't know if the West Palm airport would have a lot of direct flights to the rest of the country. Ideally we would want to be within 30 minutes from our family's place on the beach to use on weekends (17th and A1A). Any advice on areas, schools, good websites, etc would be great as this would be a pretty big move coming from another country.

Appreciate any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 10:07 AM

294 posts, read 977,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazi View Post
All,

After spending the last 2 weeks at our family's place in Ft. Lauderdale (beside Lago Mar Hotel) we are considering a move from Toronto, Canada. We have a son who is 2 years old and another one coming in June. We are somewhat familiar with the area because of our family's place on the beach but we have no clue about areas that would be good for a family to live in. Part of the motivation for the move is to have my wife stay home with the kids so we would ideally be looking for a place in the $350-$400k range. I would be travelling for work so we would ideally want to be close to the Lauderdale airport and I guess Miami airport for more flight options. I wouldn't rule out looking north but I just don't know if the West Palm airport would have a lot of direct flights to the rest of the country. Ideally we would want to be within 30 minutes from our family's place on the beach to use on weekends (17th and A1A). Any advice on areas, schools, good websites, etc would be great as this would be a pretty big move coming from another country.

Appreciate any advice.
Weston.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:05 PM

136 posts, read 338,945 times
there may not be anything in weston for 350K and its a tad north for MIA. I'm in W. Miramar strategly placed 1/2 way between both FLL and MIA mileage wise.

Without a doubt, look along the I75 coridor (stay west of it if possible). You may find more houses for 350K in cooper city and davie.

Hurry up, prices are down and rates are great.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:09 PM

I've been looking at Zip realty and there seems to be no shortage of places available at $350-$400 in weston or cooper city and I don't believe that will change anytime soon. How long a drive would it be at 7am to get to Miami airport from either of these locations? Are schools better in one then the other?

Old 01-01-2009, 06:30 PM

294 posts, read 977,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lshoupe View Post
there may not be anything in weston for 350K and its a tad north for MIA.
There are over 300 single family homes for sale in Weston under $400. In the range you provided, there are slightly over 100 homes. You will certaintly find something.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:11 PM

7 posts, read 19,108 times
Have you checked out Cooper City.We are near both airports and the schools are very good.

Appreciate any advice.[/quote]

Old 01-02-2009, 07:02 AM

Still just investigating areas that would be a good possibility. We are planning on coming back down in March to start looking at some areas in more detail.

Does anybody know of a site that describes/compares the many different gated communities in Weston? Would love to see a breakdown of size, common areas, HOA dues, schools, demographics, etc...

Thanks

Old 01-02-2009, 08:48 AM

188 posts, read 491,512 times
I never found a site when we were looking in Weston. Just moved here in Oct.
Weston does have a website; www.westonfl.org You can get a lot of information there.
There are several realtor sites that focus on Weston. I Googled "Weston Fl real estate". I got most of my information from the realtor sites.
I would suggest finding a realtor that mainly works in Weston. They can help you with the questions you have. But do your own homework also. www.browardschools.com We used a realtor out Miami and it made it a little difficult.
Set one up for March to show you some homes even if you are not ready to buy. That will be the only way you will get into the developments. You can't really tell too much about a development unless you can actually get in!
We are very happy we moved here. My kids are much older than your child but I often think this would have been a fun place for them to grow up. Houses are a little close though. Cooper City and Southwest Ranches are also highly recommended with more land. Because we used a Miami realtor, those areas were never suggested to us.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:39 AM

136 posts, read 338,945 times
From August - September, I looked at approximately 50-60 homes for sale in all the areas being discussed. It is definetly a personal decision. What one person liked, I may have hated. For instance, most homes are in gated communities. I absoutely HATED waiting at a gate, sometimes a half hour to get in "as a visitor". Granted residents usually have gate clickers, but I wouldn't want to subject my friends to waiting in those lines to get okayed by a guard. Then I ruled out some communities immediately. What I did find was some communities have key coded gates that I can give my friends my code for access. Granted many of these gates, everybody has the codes, but I still feel somewhat secure and I can assure you my community is quite that. HOA fees vary immensely so be sure to look into that and what it gets you. For instance, many in DAVIE the hoa includes lawn service on the outside of your home, while mine does not, but mine includes a gorgeous community center/gym/pool/fitnessclasses/ basic cable and the alarm system. A month after I moved in the HOA went up $45. oh well. I just got my first electric bill and OUCH!!!!! I was blown away. oh well, again.
My advice, don't lock yourself into any particular area, however, get a realtor who does service the area between weston and miramar, again along the I75 corridor.
Leaving for work at 7 won't be a bad commute, leaving at 8 is horrible. I leave for work normally at 6:30 and breeze into the MIA area.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:04 PM

99 posts, read 245,248 times
Hi Fugazi,

I am a Canadian transplant, moved here 20 years ago! Its a great place to live and raise a family.

I work out of the Weston office for Coldwell Banker, and the previous posts are correct about the availability of homes under $400k in Weston, we have them. For that budget there are properties available around town with good places for raising a family. Options; Plantation, Victoria Park, Hollywood, Miramar, Weston, Sunrise, Cooper City, Davie, Fort Lauderdale (to name a few).

With your family growing I can relate - my wife and I have 2 children under 5 - we thought long and hard about schools when we were looking for a home. Lookup www.greatschools.net and search for A-rated schools in Broward. That may be a starting point. As well, Weston has a reputation for A-rated, A+ rated schools. Believe me, Weston is great for schools, there are really great deals on beautiful homes.

The airports are easy to get to from anywhere - the highways are very helpful in getting you to either FLL or MIA.

This is going to be huge move. Let me know if I can provide more advice, it would be my pleasure.

Last edited by AttilaLaczko; 01-02-2009 at 11:42 PM.. Reason: Additional Info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area