U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 05:57 PM

2,656 posts, read 5,164,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post
Same for Broward County, a better question would be where aren't the Hispanic areas.

Lol....I just thought she would prefer Dade County. More there, than Broward county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 03:05 AM

3,043 posts, read 6,442,277 times
Ditto on Weston

Old 02-14-2009, 08:30 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,632,565 times
My question is - is that 150k what you make in NY or will that be your salary in Florida? Also is that a combined income? I ask because obviously there will be a difference in salary and which neighborhoods you will be able to afford.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:54 AM

2,113 posts, read 4,117,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Don't mistake that for "diversity", but you probably don't want to look any further than Weston.
Weston is probably close to 50% Hispanic ... that said I feel the class of Hispanics in Weston is better than the rest of South Florida and by class I mean education and income level . I have also noticed that the Hispanics that I have met in Weston seem friendlier more polite and open then the
"high strung " Hispanics in Miami . You will also not see that "ghetto" culture that you see among some Hispanics in Miami Dade and even Pembroke Pines ... probably due to the heavier South American influence over the more Cuban / Puerto Rican influence in Miami Dade .

Some of our best and friendliest neighbors were Hispanics from Argentina , Chile , Colombia and Venezuela when we lived in Weston . I get many of my Hispanic demographic facts from a neighbor in Parkland who is a white American but lived in Latin America as an ex-pat English teacher for 14 years !!!

Old 02-14-2009, 11:50 AM

I'm not sure how to take this post as a very educated Puerto Rican. Secondly, Im surprised there are puerto ricans in miami. I didn't run into any when I was there last time. I do want to assure you that not all Puerto Ricans are ghetto Rock. We have a lot of really good qualities too, just as our South American counterparts do. My husband is Argentinean.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:57 AM

Yeah, I have to agree with Chelsa. There are MANY Cubans as well who are highly educated, and came to Miami well before Castro emptied his prisons and sent them by boat to Miami, ruining the Cuban American reputation for everyone.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:03 PM

Good afternoon Fauve - I hope you are having a wonderful Valentines Day! Oh and thanks for the support. I try not to get defensive when people talk like that, but it is a little hard. I don't think he intentionally meant to hurt my feelings or anyone elses for that matter, but sometimes you have to be mindful of what you say when it is so general.

But anyway - I hope everyone is having a wonderful valentines day!

Old 02-14-2009, 01:32 PM

Yes, it's beautiful here. Date night at Fisherman's Wharf tonight. Should be a lovely night for dinner on the beach Happy Valentine's Day!

Old 02-14-2009, 01:38 PM

263 posts, read 477,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I'm not sure how to take this post as a very educated Puerto Rican. Secondly, Im surprised there are puerto ricans in miami. I didn't run into any when I was there last time. I do want to assure you that not all Puerto Ricans are ghetto Rock. We have a lot of really good qualities too, just as our South American counterparts do. My husband is Argentinean.

Central FL is filled with Puerto Ricans. I mean filled. And I agree with you that not all Puerto Ricans are ghetto. We had a very nice family living across the street. They moved back to PR, but they were very sweet. They were however annoyed, disappointed, and quite shocked at how a large portion of the Puerto Ricans conduct themselves here in America, particularly the ones from NY.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:14 PM

2,656 posts, read 5,164,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Although it may not have meant to be condescending, it did sound that way. I hope you didn't get offended. It's hard not too. Glad you didn't come out with the guns blazing either.

There are P.Rs down here, but many more in Orlando. And not to sound like I have issues with one group over another, but when I lived in Orlando I had no issues with the P.Rs up there. They were the coolest of most Hispanics. No ghetto issues, just down to earth people for the most part. There were no language barrier issues, no arrogance. It felt more like NYC in the sense that people were more to the point, and down right friendlier. Actually one of my neighbors was P.R, and would cut my lawn when he cut his. I'd help him working on his car. His wife would make some Chucharones and guandules (did I spell that correctly?) and send some over. It was much better than down here. Down here, it's the total opposite. I dont have anything against any groups, but anyone who is not Latino may have a better experience with Latinos in Orlando than down here. That's my observation. I hope I did not offend with my comments either. Happy Valentine's day to all. Get romantic, and get off City Data for a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area