U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 05:25 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,868,127 times

Advertisements

Mister - I think weston will give me a bit of what i'm looking - I know that I probably won't get exactly what I want - but it is enough of everything I want that I will work around the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 06:38 PM

263 posts, read 496,513 times
"Smaller town feel" than South Florida. Nicer people, better drivers...etc.

If you are comparing Orlando to Miami, then yes. Orlando has a smaller town feel than Miami. But if you are comparing Orlando to other areas of S FL, then it could be a toss up. If you havent been to Orlando in a while, it has changed. Orlando is like a foreign country now, and it may have nicer people and better drivers than Miami (not saying much), but I wouldnt consider (in general) the people friendly or to be good drivers by normal standards.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:46 PM

263 posts, read 496,513 times
"I was there for a week last year on business and I saw enough shaved headed , plucked eyebrowed , regaetton listening teens to last a life time and was frankly very dissapointed with that aspect of Puerto Rico"

Oh man, your telling me. I live in Orlando and the place has totally changed. I dont even feel like I am in America at times. Their attitudes towards other people, their culture (constant flag-waving, bumper-stickers, hats), their driving, their loud music and demeanor of many of them is not fun to be around. There also seems to be a big difference between the ones from PR and the ones from NY. Also, if you watch the news and stuff, a lot of them are involved in gangs, drugs, theft). The face of Orlando has totally changed.

But then you have people like Chelsa1075 that are sweet and the total opposite.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:54 PM

2,671 posts, read 5,408,911 times
That goes for all groups. I will definitely not argue with flag waving.... I am literally rolling on the floor on that one. It's too funny. (There's nothing wrong with pride though) You have good and bad for all groups. White, latinos, Black etc...No one is immune.

I was in Orlando a month ago. I go very often. I'm due for a trip there soon. I see things firsthand. I know, but the point I was making was that there are some very good ones, when someone mentioned they were low class, while South Americans were of a better pedigree. I've seen some South Americans that were what you described PRs as. Every society and race has intellectuals, thieves/thugs, losers, different degrees and levels of rich and poor. I prefer to make specific examples instead of constant generalizations of any groups.

If I were to ask you, what group of people that I've met with the most money and level of intellect, that most would not think or believe, you would never guess. (In South Florida, that is.)..Most are from Caribbean Islands like Haiti and Jamaica. I've met some that would put 3/4 of Miami Cubans and Columbians to shame. Some people here with their stereotypes would think they were Latinos with money (the fair skinned/mixed ones as well as blacks), when they're really Caribbean (Haitian, Jamaican, Antiguans, Bajans etc). So there's more to what the eye can see.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:02 PM

1,988 posts, read 6,230,169 times
Orlando is not like a foreign country. When people make these comments, it makes me wonder if they have ever been to another country. However, it is getting more and more diverse. I do not see anything wrong with that though. The South and east sides of Orlando are pretty hispanic, but there is a good mix in of other groups and races through out those areas and others as well.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:00 PM

2,113 posts, read 4,312,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Hey, what's wrong with reggae??????? Marley, son or father, some of the best music ever recorded.
Nothing wrong with Reggae , it is beautiful music and Bob Marley was classic ... Reggaetton is not Reggae, it is a nasty fusion of rap and salsa which is vulgar and crass .

Old 02-14-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
Orlando is not like a foreign country. When people make these comments, it makes me wonder if they have ever been to another country. However, it is getting more and more diverse. I do not see anything wrong with that though. The South and east sides of Orlando are pretty hispanic, but there is a good mix in of other groups and races through out those areas and others as well.

I was up there with my daughters a few weeks ago ( Disney ) and we also visited Winter Park , Downtown Orlando ( Lake Eola ) Longwood and Wyndemere for the first time and we loved all four areas ... I saw more whites and blacks than Hispanics so it did not have a "Miami Feel " to it all , in fact Orlando has quite a lovely walkable downtown ... agree it did not have a foreign country feel to me .

Old 02-14-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
That goes for all groups. I will definitely not argue with flag waving.... I am literally rolling on the floor on that one. It's too funny. (There's nothing wrong with pride though) You have good and bad for all groups. White, latinos, Black etc...No one is immune.

I was in Orlando a month ago. I go very often. I'm due for a trip there soon. I see things firsthand. I know, but the point I was making was that there are some very good ones, when someone mentioned they were low class, while South Americans were of a better pedigree. I've seen some South Americans that were what you described PRs as. Every society and race has intellectuals, thieves/thugs, losers, different degrees and levels of rich and poor. I prefer to make specific examples instead of constant generalizations of any groups.

If I were to ask you, what group of people that I've met with the most money and level of intellect, that most would not think or believe, you would never guess. (In South Florida, that is.)..Most are from Caribbean Islands like Haiti and Jamaica. I've met some that would put 3/4 of Miami Cubans and Columbians to shame. Some people here with their stereotypes would think they were Latinos with money (the fair skinned/mixed ones as well as blacks), when they're really Caribbean (Haitian, Jamaican, Antiguans, Bajans etc). So there's more to what the eye can see.
MisterNY , ok you make a some good points and you seem like a sharp fair person and I have no problems with "normal " flag waving either ... I have a sticker of the Italian flag right next to my American flag sticker on the back of my jeep ... but many of the Puerto Ricans in Orlando and now South Florida have their cars plastered with the following :

Boricua 100% ( sticker )

"Mi Orgullo" with the PR Flag ( huge sticker )

Regular size PR Flag sticker

Puerto Rican flag on the rear view mirror

Puerto Rican cap hanging on the rear view mirror

Sorry but that is not pride , that is a complex and yes I feel offended when they are so "in your face" with their symbolism .. a simple PR flag bumper sticker is cool , all of the other stuff is just tacky and has nothing to do with pride as they would be back in PR if that were the case .

Not trying to be a jerk , I am just calling it as I see it . As we are talking about Weston .. I cannot speak for knowing too many intellectual people from the Caribbean although I know there are many . The most educated , intellectual foreigners I have met in Weston and more recently Parkland tend to be Colombians .. again that is just my experience and again we are talking Weston .

Old 02-14-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooring Footers View Post
"I was there for a week last year on business and I saw enough shaved headed , plucked eyebrowed , regaetton listening teens to last a life time and was frankly very dissapointed with that aspect of Puerto Rico"

Oh man, your telling me. I live in Orlando and the place has totally changed. I dont even feel like I am in America at times. Their attitudes towards other people, their culture (constant flag-waving, bumper-stickers, hats), their driving, their loud music and demeanor of many of them is not fun to be around. There also seems to be a big difference between the ones from PR and the ones from NY. Also, if you watch the news and stuff, a lot of them are involved in gangs, drugs, theft). The face of Orlando has totally changed.

But then you have people like Chelsa1075 that are sweet and the total opposite.
I do know Puerto Ricans like Chelsa1075 , quite a few
( wonderful people ) and yes they are also not proud of the "thug culture" embraced by many of the younger generation ... andn yes Pooring Footers there does seem to be a distinct difference between native islanders and Puerto Ricans from the island .

Old 02-14-2009, 11:58 PM

3,043 posts, read 6,699,544 times
How is plastering your car with PR stickers and flags any different than wearing a cross, having a fish symbol, and having a license plate that says "Choose Life?" These are how people identify with their groups. Whether it's as a Dolphins fan or as a Puerto Rican, I don't see where it's different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area