Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 05:45 PM

44 posts, read 121,437 times

Advertisements

my comments in bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I am from Brooklyn, born and raised. I am in the city often to see family friends and for business (job interviews), in 2008 I was there about 4/5 times that year just to give you a idea. So your "on vacation" statement doesn't apply here. As I said, when I am home (new york) i do my grocery shopping (don't generally eat out). I have first hand knowledge of food cost in both places. Has nothing to do with deals, sales or anything else.

FINE

As far as me exaggerating, riiiight. Check through my post history, you will see more often than not, I generally back up what I say with links and data. Now, If you can't find a 1,000 dollar a month apartment in NYC then thats your problem. My cousin rents off of Nostrand avenue, a one bedroom over a fish market for 600 a month. Have a friend renting in the Bronx in Coop City for just under a thousand (think his is either a one or two, dont remember). As I stated in a previous post, this family friend tried to get me to move to the Bronx but I don't like uptown so it wasn't going to happen. Have another cousin who rents on Staten Island, in a loft for 800. Anyway, thats the difference between people who know the city and are born and raised their and transplants. those born and raised know where to go for decent rents, transplants or those who have never actually rented in the city dont. Now, one thing I will say, some people may not be comfortable with renting in the places I am talking about because the faces may be darker than theirs or because Yo MTV raps tells them everybody in certain areas are "gangstas" so they don't want to rent int hese places. However I have never had any problems in any of these areas I am talking about. Tell you what, I will be in NYC in june, pm me and if you are at the house you "maintain" in NYC I will show you how to find decent rents in NYC and I wont charge you either.

You said three bedroom, which is not available. "Born and raised" may have a few advantages (although I have been here a long time), but shouldn't we discussing market rates for both areas? Thanks for your offer to help me, but I am versed in the "tricks".

Also, as for your displeasure with the year the data is from, just search the usda site, they have more up to date information. Secondly, do you think some how, magically Fort Lauderdale fell below NYC in food prices? Come on now.

Yes, that is not unlikely. When did Super Wal-mart start kicking some serious grocery store tail down in South Florida? How many Super Wal Marts are in Brooklyn? Let's talk specifics. Tell me what grocery stores and someone come up with a list of items. Let's do it.

Lastly, you are trying to argue against government data with your suspect knoweldge? But I guess thats what you do when facts don't agree with your opinions, discredit it (in your mind). As for the frustation you are feeling that might be your opinions not matching up with the facts I presented (shrugs)

Let's generate some real world data and not rely on a survey on how people feel about their food budgets. See my challenge above.

When it comes to people not liking what Florida has to offer, as misterNYC has said, not every place is for everyone. If they dont like florida then thats their opinion and they are entitiled to it. No amount of "we have beaches and scuba diving" is gonna change that. as Southafrica also pointed out, being here for awhile (living) and posting from some other locale about how much fun Florida is for residents is a bit on the unrealistic side.

Again, as I have said before, it is what you make of it.

I think S. Florida does have its appeal if you like the night life, beachs and fishing. But for me I am a family man with a kid. We like quality parks and cultural events. We don't get a lot of that here. Have in-laws in Chicago and when there you can go to millenium park, lincoln park, taste of chicago and on and on. When I am in NYC we can hit propsect park, central park, Jackson Heights for some good desi (indian) food, Atlantic Ave for some arabic eats and do a host of events being put on by the city and local groups. Unfortunatly we don't get much of that here. I should add, I think Miami does have more to offer than Fort Lauderdale though. To me Miami has more potential than Fort Lauderdale ever will. If for some horrible reason I couldn't leave S. Florida eventually I would definitly look at living in Miami.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:57 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broward resident View Post
my comments in bold
We can discuss market rates if you like. For a three bedroom in south florida you are looking at 1300 and up with the general price range in the 1450 to 1500 range. You might be able to find it for 1100 to 1200 but those are in areas that might not be the safest. I can easily find 3 bedroom apartments in Brooklyn for that range, again in Bed Stuy, Flatbush, Crown Heights etc. As for the super walmart portion of your statement, not sure what that had to do with the price of rice in china in relation to food prices but ok.

eitherway you can say "its what you make it" until you turn blew in the face. Will never change reality and reality is, everything isnt for everyone and that includes S. Florida. As Southafrica pointed out (very well I might add) living in S. Florida for a long time and visiting form time to time and attempting to tell people who live here they shouldn't be bored because of x, y and z is a bit much.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:03 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
that's impossible. She can't be paying 750 a month in NYC. Because people on city data say so. just kidding, but I am sure some Floridian is going to come along and tell you that you are lying *shrugs*.

P.S. greek food in Astoria = the truth!

Oh yeah, the greek food here is to die for...lol. I'm going to miss the gyros when I buy a house on the island.

As far as areas being boring...I was recently in arguments with people in the south who live in Houston and Atlanta. They said I could get exactly what I find in NYC over there in Houston, as far as the ethnic foods being so close together. Uh huh, sure...

Old 01-11-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
We can discuss market rates if you like. For a three bedroom in south florida you are looking at 1300 and up with the general price range in the 1450 to 1500 range. You might be able to find it for 1100 to 1200 but those are in areas that might not be the safest. I can easily find 3 bedroom apartments in Brooklyn for that range, again in Bed Stuy, Flatbush, Crown Heights etc. As for the super walmart portion of your statement, not sure what that had to do with the price of rice in china in relation to food prices but ok.

eitherway you can say "its what you make it" until you turn blew in the face. Will never change reality and reality is, everything isnt for everyone and that includes S. Florida. As Southafrica pointed out (very well I might add) living in S. Florida for a long time and visiting form time to time and attempting to tell people who live here they shouldn't be bored because of x, y and z is a bit much.
Sorry to see you duck the grocery challenge. I like real stats and observations. The entry of a player like Wal-mart drives down the prices of groceries in the area. I should have explained the implications to you.

Can you give me approximate address of one place you have found in Brooklyn for the $1,000 price range you tout? If we are talking market rates, there should be plenty on craigslist. I look forward to seeing your reply.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:17 PM

789 posts, read 2,563,567 times
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Sorry to see you duck the grocery challenge. I like real stats and observations. The entry of a player like Wal-mart drives down the prices of groceries in the area. I should have explained the implications to you.

Can you give me approximate address of one place you have found in Brooklyn for the $1,000 price range you tout? If we are talking market rates, there should be plenty on craigslist. I look forward to seeing your reply.
The "implications" as you have imagined them are incorrect. Prices of groceries have not gone down. I have a degree in economics, and understand how market factors work. Walmart coming in here or anywhere else isn't going to do that. You still have input cost like getting the stuff to market, example trucking it in and then comes in cost of fuel or bringing it in via rail. Then you have higher wages of labor on farms and also fuel cost etc. You are confusing cheap goods and trinkets being made in china and sold here in the U.S. with food being grown and bought to market right here in the good old U.S. of A

As for craigslist *chuckle*. Most listings in NYC if you truly live there and know the market as you say you do are listed with agents. And then you have private owners who don't list with agents or craigslist, but go through word of mouth for example. But you knowing the "tricks" probably already knew that *the internet never ceases to amaze me*

I won't give you exact addresses as they are where family and friends live. However next time you are in a adventures mood just find your way to Nostrand ave between Lefferts Avenue and Sterling and walk around to the buildings around there and ask about prices. Thats one example, once you have done this I can give you some other scouting missions if you like.

As for the grocery challenge, lets have at it.

Anyway, I did think of one thing that South Florida has. Thats the winter music fest. I love house music (deep/souful house) and some of my favorite DJs come down to Miami beach for the music fest. Only thing is, the darn thing is so expesive if you want to partake in everything the music fest has to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Oh yeah, the greek food here is to die for...lol. I'm going to miss the gyros when I buy a house on the island.

As far as areas being boring...I was recently in arguments with people in the south who live in Houston and Atlanta. They said I could get exactly what I find in NYC over there in Houston, as far as the ethnic foods being so close together. Uh huh, sure...
I used to live in Dallas for a split second and traveled around Texas. You finding something even fractionally close to what NYC has to offer as far as ethnic food and diversity is about as possible as a lion standing on two legs and speaking. Well I take that back, in Houston and Dallas they have HUGE Ethiopian populations and the Ethiopian food there is to die for but that's about it. Where on the Island you moving too? I used to live out on the Island for a hot minute. You should wait awhile before moving, those prices are still nose diving. Wait for them to bottom out and get something nice. As for Atlanta, ummm you can get good Somali and Nigerian food, thats about it. Atlanta to me wasn't that bad but it still wasn't my cup of tea. I hear Cuban food down here is very good. I don't eat pork so I have not tried it out to have a opinion on it.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:49 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default Yep,

Quote:
that's impossible. She can't be paying 750 a month in NYC. Because people on city data say so. just kidding, but I am sure some Floridian is going to come along and tell you that you are lying *shrugs*.

P.S. greek food in Astoria = the truth!
I see you know Astoria.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:57 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
There was a restaurant when I was growing up in Chelsea (Manhattan) which said, Cubanas y Chinese Comidas. The aromas coming from that place were definitely unbelievable. Strange combination to say the least. After 40 plus years, I can still remember that place. lol

Yeah, you can certainly get just about anything under the sun in NYC.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:

As for craigslist *chuckle*. Most listings in NYC if you truly live there and know the market as you say you do are listed with agents. And then you have private owners who don't list with agents or craigslist, but go through word of mouth for example. But you knowing the "tricks" probably already knew that *the internet never ceases to amaze me*

I won't give you exact addresses as they are where family and friends live. However next time you are in a adventures mood just find your way to Nostrand ave between Lefferts Avenue and Sterling and walk around to the buildings around there and ask about prices. Thats one example, once you have done this I can give you some other scouting missions if you like.

As for the grocery challenge, lets have at it.
Actually these days, plenty of agents and owners use craigslist as bait. It is very rare to find a real opporutnity there for some of the reasons you point out. However, it's good enough for our purposes to give folks an idea of the places we are talking about. Instead, you want to use my suggestion to put me on the ropes, when it is not me that has a stat to back up.

And your Brooklyn grocery store? I assume it's within walking distance of that intersection? Or will you have a car and street park/garage park it there? I'll have a look in the area you mentioned. I'm very interested in finding a good value.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Actually these days, plenty of agents and owners use craigslist as bait. It is very rare to find a real opporutnity there for some of the reasons you point out. However, it's good enough for our purposes to give folks an idea of the places we are talking about. Instead, you want to use my suggestion to put me on the ropes, when it is not me that has a stat to back up.

And your Brooklyn grocery store? I assume it's within walking distance of that intersection? Or will you have a car and street park/garage park it there? I'll have a look in the area you mentioned. I'm very interested in finding a good value.
We (my friends and family) are Brooklynites born and breed, we don't own cars By train you can take the 2 or 5 to get to where I am telling you.

Anyway, from sterling and nostrand head north, there is a grocery on your right if you walk a few blocks up. Down here we do a LOT of shopping at whole foods, that's another place you can check in the city, the prices are the same there as it is here. I generally go to the one in Union Square when i am home.

As to the craiglist thing, errrrr ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area