U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:53 AM

245 posts, read 1,026,280 times

Advertisements

k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 10:21 AM

88 posts, read 294,872 times
i am black american.. lived here for 3 years... and i will have to say no to that.. unfortunately where all the blacks live in concentrated numbers, its high crime areas.. you will have to mix in with the rest of the middle CLASS. I personally prefer a mix... it reminds me of back "home" in jersey /nyc

Old 01-13-2009, 10:21 AM

2,656 posts, read 5,163,534 times
None really.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:15 AM

259 posts, read 680,642 times
Not at all. I've already tried.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:46 PM

11,511 posts, read 18,466,212 times
No. You will find black families in mixed race areas, but most all black areas are high crime. I do not think you will have a problem mixing with the other races here though.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:07 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,631,803 times
You know it is funny that you say that, because I was thinking the same thing. I will be moving to South Florida in the near future (when I get a job) from NY. When I was there visiting and looking at homes over the holiday, I told the Agent I needed good schools and a nice neighborhood. It was really wierd because I noticed that the color lines were very blatant. I'm spanish and like I said asked for good neighborhoods and apparently that translated to only white neighbors, because those were the only places she took me. Frankly, I'd rather a neighborhood be based on class than color. Just seemed wierd, but to add to your comment I like a mixed area. Can you/anyone tell me of some good areas in Broward County that have good schools? Thank you!

Old 01-14-2009, 03:31 PM

3,043 posts, read 6,441,539 times
Well, neighborhoods here are definitely class, not color....there's too much diversity for it to be any other way.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:54 PM

88 posts, read 294,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
You know it is funny that you say that, because I was thinking the same thing. I will be moving to South Florida in the near future (when I get a job) from NY. When I was there visiting and looking at homes over the holiday, I told the Agent I needed good schools and a nice neighborhood. It was really wierd because I noticed that the color lines were very blatant. I'm spanish and like I said asked for good neighborhoods and apparently that translated to only white neighbors, because those were the only places she took me. Frankly, I'd rather a neighborhood be based on class than color. Just seemed wierd, but to add to your comment I like a mixed area. Can you/anyone tell me of some good areas in Broward County that have good schools? Thank you!
Anywhere in the middle of broward and to the WEST.. has good neighborhoods and schools.. Since you are from ny (im originally from jersey) what you need to know is..the closer to i-95.. the more "sketchy" it gets.. the closer you are to i-75, the classier it gets. My wife teaches kindergarden in Miramar.. a town that i hope i can move to in the next 10 yrs.. her students are from every race.. black white.. hispanic.. carribean asian.. indian.. beautiful!..... pembroke pines is a great place too

Old 01-15-2009, 03:03 AM

3,368 posts, read 9,882,684 times
Quote:
I don't want to make this about ethnicity, but you should know that most of the Hispanic/Latino people in "nice areas" of South Florida are white. If you want a nice area with a good mix of non-Hispanic white, Hispanic, and black (with some Asian presence as well), check out West Miramar and Pembroke Pines. Weston is mostly non-Hispanic white and Hispanic. Cooper City is montly non-Hispanic white with a substantial Hispanic presence. Coral Springs (even further north) is very diverse in its southern and eastern sections (non-Hispanic white, Hispanic, Brazilian, black), and remains fairly diverse but starts losing black people once you go north and west. The middle class / upper middle class areas of western Broward are the most diverse area of the county. You would have to go to some of the wealthy enclaves in the beach/intracoastal communities to find neighborhoods that are 90%+ non-Hispanic white. Schools are good in all of the areas I have mentioned.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:02 AM

11,511 posts, read 18,466,212 times
Quote:
A very large number of the Hispanics in this area are white. On my block (in Weston) there are 2 black families and they are of Jamaican descent. There are about 10 Hispanic families (maybe more) and they are all white. The ones I know are from Argentina, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Colombia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area