U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2009, 06:55 AM

7 posts, read 21,001 times

Advertisements

I moved to South Florida about 8 years ago. I hate it down here even though I built up my own business down here. Socially I do nothing. As far as my business is concerned it pays the bills only because I got into a senior citizin residenance down here which makes the cost of living much more affordable. I can put some of the responsablity on myself by living beyond my means but what I'm buying I should be able to afford but I can't so maybe I shouldn't. However if I lived in another area I can have it. Because down here they pay like crap and my competotiors will charge a non living wage. However even though I have like 200 customers in my line of work it's not steady.

When I lived in New York I was alot more socialable. Down here I became isolated. I just don't like the people down here. either they are snobby or total drug addicts and no one cares about you as a person.

As far as work ethic down here there is none. Go to a store when you are in a rush such as walgreens CVS you will be lucky if someone is at a regester, Goto dunkin donuts for coffee during rush hour they are working at a snail pace and the customers don't care. thats what is real messed up about this. Go have your AC repaired it can take like three times will they figure out the problem, or better yet you hope they show up.

I can go on and on all I can say is I hate this state with a vengance. I hated what I sated above but I also hate driving down here most of the rules of the road are broken, tailgaing is the style even if you are speeding. and if you listen to xm there are usaully about 15 accidents happeneing at one time. Another thing I can go on and on about is the traffic lights they take too dam long and in the left turn lane there can be 15 cars in line to make a left and the light is green only 10 sec. But again no one cares.

If you plan on moving to Florida there is no efficiency. If I can get out I would.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 07:13 AM

9,324 posts, read 22,938,638 times
The real culprit lies in the politics of narcissism.

Broward, Miami-Dade and Monroe counties, like any people who think they are beautiful, have a natural inclination toward self-absorption. Florida embodies narcissism and supposedly include the most attractive urban expanses on the east coast. The local government makes decisions, followed by its own culture of self-regard. You have to come here already wealthy, or scheme your way to the good life. While pre 1980 there were stepping stones to legitimate business easily found, most have been plowed under to make more room for the fools who want to live here at any cost. They ignore the negatives- 6 months of horrible weather, hurricanes, unbelievably high housing costs, the language barrier, poor transportation and communications, and of course HURRICANES. The wealthy make the rules, and the poor simply grow in number. With the previous economic engines scrapped (light manufacturing, agriculture, electronics, aviation) what remains is government work- supporting overpaid retirees as well, and service jobs where the salaries are held down by the underclass willing to live in squalor for the "privelege" of living in "paradise".

As long as real estate remains expensive relative to local incomes, no hope exists for workers in southeast Florida. As long as elitists have zoning and government bailouts, no new innovation will ever come to this area. Those friends I know who were born and raised here all either live in their parents home or are struggling to make ends meet. The smart ones left. If you are starting out you should too. Do not make the mistake of wasting your potential to live in "paradise".

Old 02-23-2009, 08:19 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,805,686 times
Thanks RM - Thing is everyone's situation is different. I'm not packing my family up and moving away from my whole family, I'm packing them up and moving to where my family is. I guess that makes part of the difference. As I stated before, I just don't want to live in NY anymore. I'm compromising with my husban on Florida, but I would gladly go to Maryland, Virg., NC, Texas - any one of those places, but my husband would really like to go to Florida, so we are going to try and make a go of it.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:56 AM

2,113 posts, read 4,257,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecomputergenius View Post
I moved to South Florida about 8 years ago. I hate it down here even though I built up my own business down here. Socially I do nothing. As far as my business is concerned it pays the bills only because I got into a senior citizin residenance down here which makes the cost of living much more affordable. I can put some of the responsablity on myself by living beyond my means but what I'm buying I should be able to afford but I can't so maybe I shouldn't. However if I lived in another area I can have it. Because down here they pay like crap and my competotiors will charge a non living wage. However even though I have like 200 customers in my line of work it's not steady.

When I lived in New York I was alot more socialable. Down here I became isolated. I just don't like the people down here. either they are snobby or total drug addicts and no one cares about you as a person.

As far as work ethic down here there is none. Go to a store when you are in a rush such as walgreens CVS you will be lucky if someone is at a regester, Goto dunkin donuts for coffee during rush hour they are working at a snail pace and the customers don't care. thats what is real messed up about this. Go have your AC repaired it can take like three times will they figure out the problem, or better yet you hope they show up.

I can go on and on all I can say is I hate this state with a vengance. I hated what I sated above but I also hate driving down here most of the rules of the road are broken, tailgaing is the style even if you are speeding. and if you listen to xm there are usaully about 15 accidents happeneing at one time. Another thing I can go on and on about is the traffic lights they take too dam long and in the left turn lane there can be 15 cars in line to make a left and the light is green only 10 sec. But again no one cares.

If you plan on moving to Florida there is no efficiency. If I can get out I would.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Any chance that your "rosy " and "cheery" attitude has anything to do with your miserable existence ... I am originally from NYC and I cannot concur with what you are posting , I have met wonderful people down here and also not so wonderful .. unfortunately many of the latter catagory are fellow New Yorkers . Please do us and your self a favor and leave .. we have enough issues already and your "positive " outlook and gross generalizations on an entire state due your unhappiness in South Florida are unfair .

Old 02-23-2009, 10:08 AM

Try not to let this get to you Rock - just his opinion - one person!

Old 02-23-2009, 10:33 AM

3,043 posts, read 6,620,144 times
He probably can't leave Rock. Many of us would like to move on, but are unable due to the inability to sell our homes, get a job somewhere else, have kids in high school. It's expensive to move somewhere else too. He may not have the money to move. The longer you're stuck in a place you don't want to be, the more depressed you get. I have little doubt that if he could move, he would. He's not staying here in order to put a damper on your day.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:30 AM

6,974 posts, read 14,953,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Any chance that your "rosy " and "cheery" attitude has anything to do with your miserable existence ... I am originally from NYC and I cannot concur with what you are posting , I have met wonderful people down here and also not so wonderful .. unfortunately many of the latter catagory are fellow New Yorkers . Please do us and your self a favor and leave .. we have enough issues already and your "positive " outlook and gross generalizations on an entire state due your unhappiness in South Florida are unfair .
I am from Brooklyn NYC and I have many of the same instances the person you responded to said. People down here are not very friendly regardless of how you try to cut it. Floridians are extremely clanish for lack of a better term. All my friends here have been from NYC for the most part. Not because I hate Floridians but because I have not been able to make a connectin with any of them. With that said, you like Florida, that person doesn't so what. To each their own. I hope that person can find a way out of here, life is way to short to be le miserable

Old 02-23-2009, 12:03 PM

Hey Wild - I agree. I think that you can't kill negativity with negativity. Everyone has a right to their own opinion. However, I think it is a little far fetched when people start saying that EVERY person they know hates Florida? The place would be barren if that were the case. I think trying to get along instead of working against eachother would be a start. For instance Wild, I know and you have made sure to tell me that you are from NY several times, but I don't know what part of florida you are from. Maybe if other people (namely floridians) didn't feel like everytime they turned around someone was like "oh no, i'm from yata yata", unless of course they ask then you have every right to tell them. Put your self in their position. If you were living back in Brooklyn, but 80% of your neighbors were from lets say from Germany and were always like - oh man things were so much better back home - I wish I were there - food, service, people everything was better. What would you find yourself saying?

I really appreciate from one NYer to another what you are saying to me, but I think you are a reasonable person and can understand why people from Florida get so annoyed with NYer's. I will say thought that the rudeness runs accross all lines. Your not born rude because you are a NYer, but neither are your born with kindness because you are from the south.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:16 PM

3,225 posts, read 7,407,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Try not to let this get to you Rock - just his opinion - one person!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
He probably can't leave Rock. Many of us would like to move on, but are unable due to the inability to sell our homes, get a job somewhere else, have kids in high school. It's expensive to move somewhere else too. He may not have the money to move. The longer you're stuck in a place you don't want to be, the more depressed you get. I have little doubt that if he could move, he would. He's not staying here in order to put a damper on your day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I am from Brooklyn NYC and I have many of the same instances the person you responded to said. People down here are not very friendly regardless of how you try to cut it. Floridians are extremely clanish for lack of a better term. All my friends here have been from NYC for the most part. Not because I hate Floridians but because I have not been able to make a connectin with any of them. With that said, you like Florida, that person doesn't so what. To each their own. I hope that person can find a way out of here, life is way to short to be le miserable
I'm a former poster not planning to ever post again - but I had to put in a guest apperance on behalf of Rock's comments.

Too often, many on the Florida forums have a field day bashing everything, anything, everywhere, anywhere in Florida and seem to relish scaring the panties off of anyone who dares to dream of relocating to the Sunshine State.

Sure, everyone should have a right to go wherever they want to in our beautiful country. There's enough diversity in geograply, race, ethnicity, religion, climate to satisfy even the hard to please.

Just take a look at any of the other forums on CD - be it NYC, North Dakota, Alaska, California- everywhere, people are knocking their cities and seeking another place to live. All quite well - except that on those forums, unlike the Florida one, very rarely do we hear the words, "I HATE this place so much, it's the most miserable invention since the atom bomb, there's absolutely no redeemimg feature about this place, you must be loco to like monolithic weather, every plague since the creation of man can be found here."

Unfortunately when people sincerely come here seeking advice, they're seeking objective info, not a barrage of personal venom against an entire state and its citizens, and unsubstantiated and wild allegations that no part of the state of Florida is fit for human existence.

It is no wonder that Rock felt motivated to make his comments. I join with him in saying that, yeah, Florida may not be right for you, it's certainly not the panacea for all the world's ills or all the trials and tribulations in your personal life. Relocating to a place, adjusting to it, enjoying it or not is an INDIVIDUAL thing. Different strokes for different folks - and I say to those unhappy there, please do yourselves and others a favor, and try your best to get out. I know it's not easy, but your misery is destroying you. Try real hard to exit. Maybe go nearby where the relocation might be easier like to Georgia or North Carolina. Don't whine and pine - there are millions around the country and the world who will take your places in a hearbeat.

Yes, there are some idiots like me out there for whom a no-snow, year-round warm climate, tropical ambiance, beaches, laid back lifestyle, beautiful sunsets, access to both he Caribbean and up North, year-round outdoor recreation, no hats, gloves, scarves, sleet, slush, slippery roads - yeah, these things make it worth the relocation.

And BTW, the poor economy, bad job market, high cost of living, congestion, pollution, crime, violence, drug wars, poverty, traffic nightmares, and all the ills of the world that many attribute to Florida alone cand be found up here in NYC too - and I daresay, in most of the country and the world.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:26 PM

Miles - well said my friend - I am smiling from ear to ear on this one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area