Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2009, 06:21 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Why not forest Hills? big buildings, shops, lots of businesses and plenty of places to eat and go out in. Maybe Forest Hills isn't what you remembered it as. But it is definitely bustling.
I am sure forest hills hasn't changed since July 2008 (last time I was there)

besides, forest hills is a neighborhood. Can't really compare that to a entire city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 06:36 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
Come on Wild - you and I both know miami is not like Manhattan. I'm trying to make the closest analogy I can.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:43 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Not really. I mean to be honest with the exception of two people none of my friends like it here. They don't hate it, but they aren't fond of it either. Me personally, I don't hate Florida but I could leave it without any regrets. I do like Miami and could see me living there though (My friends live in Broward for the most part). As I said, to each their own. I do think part of the problem is how people approach Florida though. You can't approach it like you would NYC, its a totally different beast. I have started to learn there are actually TONS to do (yep a complete turn around from what I posted here not even a month ago). But you have to really go out of your way to look for it and all these events I am seeing are in Dade for the most part. Up until January my wife and I had little to do here. Now we are in Dade probably every weekend, maybe two times a weekend. Tons of festivels and museum stuff and most is free or very low cost. It is starting to turn my thoughts on Miami, I still think broward sucks though.

You know I like you man so don't feel no way. When you get here as I said, me, you and MisterNY can hit up Miami or something, show you around. With that said, you sort of contradicted yourself. You said people come here (to the Fort Lauderdale forum) wanting to know about the place from people who live here, which means they have to relate to you their own personal experiences. Then in another sentence you say you don't want to hear people's "personal venom" about S. Florida. You are asking people for their PERSONAL take on a place. It seems people only want to hear what makes them feel good inside. It’s like the economy; as long as what the economist is saying things are good (while the ship is sinking) they love that economist. The minute the economist says the truth about what is really going on, people go all ape boo boo on him and label the person a “doomer”. My point is, don't feel the need to bash a person’s opinion, and don’t feel the need to lecture them. It is THEIR experience, THEIR personal opinion. They would know far better than you what their experience has been in a particular location (which you yourself don’t live in yet). There was a guy who used to come on here from Illinois. He moved down and he posted an apology to everyone a few months back. He said how they were right (concerning the negative things about down here) and how he is leaving Florida to go back home. This may or may not be your experience. My point is, don't be so quick to judge and don't let others experiences disparage you either. You could come down here and it is the best thing since sliced bread. On the other hand you could come here and absolutely hate it. Live and let live and try to have fun in between man. As I tell people, for me I strongly dislike Broward County. I don't think it has much to offer. I prefer Miami 100 times over, but that is MY personal opinion based on my experience and based on what I consider to be quality of life and what that entails. For me Broward does not offer those things I am looking for. Whatever happens man I hope you and whoever else plans to move down here the best. I hope you like it here and if you don't that’s ok too. If it turns out you don’t like it I hope and pray you have the ability to relocate to a place that might suit you better.
Hey wildstyle, I like you too. You're not backing out of that invitation, are you? And hey, if you're religious and don't drink, I understand. I'm just an occasional, one glass drinker myself - so a coffee/meal in NYC or Florida will do just as well! We're on, buddy.

Nah, I didn't mean to "lecture." I do dabble in accounting, teaching, writing, but didn't think the teacher was showing through my post. lol.

See, I think people should give freely their personal take on a place - good and bad. What is sometimes ludicrous to me is that many times on the Florida Board there are posters who give 100% negativity. Okay, so they're expressing their feelings and once they get out of there, they'll be so thankful, they won't ever need to return and bash bad old Florida, right?

Wrong, it seems. They return years later from Charlotte, Atlanta, New Orleans, NYC, Myrtle Beach to declare to all and sundry what a miserable place that state of Florida is! Dunno, wildsyle, reminds me of a Victoria's Secret model that a friend once dated. They enjoyed each other's company in a superficial way; guess he didn't measure up in some capacity, and she dumped him. Years later, he still bashes her while longing for her tender lips. lol

Anyway, man, you're okay. Love your posts. I did Eco as my undergrad major too so we've got some more to talk about. And hey, I know Florida is no paradise for everyone. NYC is no paradise for everyone either. There's tons of negatives I could tell someone about NYC but there's also tons of good. It may not always be the best place to be at all times for everyone - but it sure as hell can be a sweet place to be for some sometimes or even at all times. It's an individual thing. Was hoping Florida was like that too.

Keep on posting, buddy. I'm only doing a cameo as my professional pursuits make it necessary for me to wiggle away from a CD addiction.

Best.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:05 PM

Miles,

No doubt man, when you come we can definitely hang out! Or when I am in the city again (hopefully July). Either way i see what you mean. To be honest, I was one of the ones who always dissed Florida to my friends. I have a friend from Bklyn who lives down here now. I was saying how the city has x y and z and Florida doesn’t. Then one day he checked me on it. He was like look, there are tons of things to do down here you just have to look for it. He then went on to tell me how he has been doing kayaking, renting rides on cigarette boats and doing tours of the city. While none of that is my thing, I said you know what, let me really see what is out there. Then I started finding tons of free stuff in Miami. Now every weekend for the last month we have been doing free things. I think the problem is people are not really giving it a really good look down here. In the past month we have gone to free exhibits at the South Florida history museum in Miami. We have been to two greek festivals, Biscayne Bay (had never gone before). We will also be going to a Middle Eastern festival, seafood festival and many other things. I would still like to be able to get anywhere down here strictly on mass transit but can't have everything I guess. I would also wish it was like it is right now year round (very little humidity these past few days and cool and breezy. Oh and for all the people who hate on Miami. I have to say, last weekend some old Cuban lady came up to us and started telling us about when she came to America, how different the area in Miami where she lives has changed and so on and so on. I thought that was real cool. I have not generally had people come up to us and speak so freely in Broward, it was a nice change. None of this is to say the place is perfect but some of the problems people are having could be alleviated if they would open themselves up to what this place has to offer, well at least Miami.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:10 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
hey Wild - I'm glad you are finding what you like in Miami, sounds like you like it a little better :-)

Old 02-23-2009, 07:16 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Miles,

No doubt man, when you come we can definitely hang out! Or when I am in the city again (hopefully July). Either way i see what you mean. To be honest, I was one of the ones who always dissed Florida to my friends. I have a friend from Bklyn who lives down here now. I was saying how the city has x y and z and Florida doesn’t. Then one day he checked me on it. He was like look, there are tons of things to do down here you just have to look for it. He then went on to tell me how he has been doing kayaking, renting rides on cigarette boats and doing tours of the city. While none of that is my thing, I said you know what, let me really see what is out there. Then I started finding tons of free stuff in Miami. Now every weekend for the last month we have been doing free things. I think the problem is people are not really giving it a really good look down here. In the past month we have gone to free exhibits at the South Florida history museum in Miami. We have been to two greek festivals, Biscayne Bay (had never gone before). We will also be going to a Middle Eastern festival, seafood festival and many other things. I would still like to be able to get anywhere down here strictly on mass transit but can't have everything I guess. I would also wish it was like it is right now year round (very little humidity these past few days and cool and breezy. Oh and for all the people who hate on Miami. I have to say, last weekend some old Cuban lady came up to us and started telling us about when she came to America, how different the area in Miami where she lives has changed and so on and so on. I thought that was real cool. I have not generally had people come up to us and speak so freely in Broward, it was a nice change. None of this is to say the place is perfect but some of the problems people are having could be alleviated if they would open themselves up to what this place has to offer, well at least Miami.
Good post, wildsyle. Glad your friend showed up! Hey, I got to admit something myself, I absolutely LOVE NYC - with all its pluses and minuses. I love S. Florida for other things. Give me the lotto and I'd do both. Who knows which one I'll really end up in forever anyway? Life is strange - but I love America for all these choices - and for your and my right to either like or dislike any part of it without bashing America on the whole.

Best again.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
hey Wild - I'm glad you are finding what you like in Miami, sounds like you like it a little better :-)
"a little" is a under statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Good post, wildsyle. Glad your friend showed up! Hey, I got to admit something myself, I absolutely LOVE NYC - with all its pluses and minuses. I love S. Florida for other things. Give me the lotto and I'd do both. Who knows which one I'll really end up in forever anyway? Life is strange - but I love America for all these choices - and for your and my right to either like or dislike any part of it without bashing America on the whole.

Best again.
In a perfect world I would have a brownstone in Bed Stuy and listening to house music in fort green in the summer (shrugs). But I guess we really have to make due with what we have for the time being. Things are really bad right now and I doubt I will be able to return to the city. So instead of crying about it I would rather make the absolute best of my situation. It is better than being miserable.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:33 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post

Best again.

Now this is what I call a good ending...Group Hug, everyone?

Wild,
I just noticed your post about photography.
I'm learning as I go. I'm no pro, but the passion is there. I want to get a pro or semi-pro grade Camera. Something between $600-$1K. I'm still shopping and reading feedback online. I'm looking at both Canon and Nikon. What's your opinion on the D90?
What I use now is a Kodak Easyshare Z1012. Not top of the line, but I get good results from it. I will be doing a Flickr photostream sometime in the coming weeks. I will DM you the link. If you have a Flickr photo link or photostream, DM it to me.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:22 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,012 times
If we cracked down on the reckless drivers, South Florida wouldn't be such a bad place.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:59 AM

7 posts, read 32,333 times
Hi,

I was the one with this negative comment about Flroida. Sorry I could not put in my two sense earlier since I work. To make this short and brief . What I wrote is my opinion about Florida. If I could leave I would have, however All I did was express my opinion on this fourm You can accept it or not. It's a free country. I expressed my experiences in this state in regards to the work ethic, education (49th place) and the "overall attitude" I truthfully hope you have a different experieince here.

As for one comment I read alot of people bash florida. (ask your self why?) Instead of bashing the person giving an honest opinion you can try to be objective about what a person is saying. You can agree or disagree. Am I the happiest person in the world such as Mr. Rogers no. However I am satisfied and mentaily sound. I am positive that I am a good judge of character and what I say is based on reality rather than illusion

Looking forward to reading your comments when I return from work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area