U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 01:49 PM

8 posts, read 21,704 times

Advertisements

WOW(after reading through this entire forum)! I am 32 years old and use to live in NYC and now Chicago. Reading this forum has really scared me because I have been looking for a place to relocate and I decided to give South Florida a try. I wanted to get away from the winters, over-price housing, taxes, and try the beach life and sunshine. Now that I have a job offer for a really good job there is no turning back. I am really just looking to experience the South Florida life for about 3 years and finally relocate to Atlanta where the housing market seems reasonable. Now I'm not sure if I made the right decision. By the way, I'm looking to live in south Broward county and commute to Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 08:05 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,677,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappb View Post
WOW(after reading through this entire forum)! I am 32 years old and use to live in NYC and now Chicago. Reading this forum has really scared me because I have been looking for a place to relocate and I decided to give South Florida a try. I wanted to get away from the winters, over-price housing, taxes, and try the beach life and sunshine. Now that I have a job offer for a really good job there is no turning back. I am really just looking to experience the South Florida life for about 3 years and finally relocate to Atlanta where the housing market seems reasonable. Now I'm not sure if I made the right decision. By the way, I'm looking to live in south Broward county and commute to Miami.
Living here may work for you, or it may not....but give it a shot. If you like the beach + the non-winters, the bad stuff will merely be just a trade-off for what might be a better life for you.

The commute from Broward to Miami will be bad, but if your job has flexible hours, you may be able to avoid the worst of it.

At the end of the day, don't let people scare you off. It's funny because there are negative posts in all of the US city subforums here. I have realized that nowhere is anywhere near perfect, but you have to try to find the best match for you.

As for me, I'm not a beach person, I don't like hot weather (quite the opposite), so this simply isn't the place for me.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:20 PM

259 posts, read 701,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
At the end of the day, don't let people scare you off. It's funny because there are negative posts in all of the US city subforums here. I have realized that nowhere is anywhere near perfect, but you have to try to find the best match for you.
I half-way agree with what you are saying. The problem is, when it comes to all the negative posts, S. Floridians (natives and non-natives) tend to come out in MUCH higher numbers than many other states. One forum had 32 pages of "I hate S. Florida" posts last time I checked. Not to mention the countless number of others. And I really do think that people need to take that into serious consideration and not necessarily turn the other cheek.
I honestly wish I wouldve found City-data long before I moved out here. Otherwise I wouldve realized that I wouldve been much happier somewhere else. South Fla caters to a very specific type of people. It's not "flexible" in that regard. Most people that come here either love it or they absolutely hate it. And I think prospects need to look at all angles before they make the big jump.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:22 AM

20 posts, read 38,543 times
Default Lived in Florida 40 years

Florida is not what it used to be. I certainly isn't what you see in the movies! Not even CSI-Miami.. it;s WORSE! MUCH WORSE!

Jobs are easy to find. IF you speak Spanish... is you don't ..count on having an interview (because they have to) then never getting a call.

I am a teacher with Dade Schools. I will be giving up 13 years into my retirement to leave this pit of hell. And it will be worth it.. wanna know why??? The School Board hasnt given us a raise in 2 years (after 12 years in the system I make less than 40K), I pay nearly 7000 a year for health insurance, they just took two days pay from us to balance their budget that they "promise" to pay back... just like they promised us raises... The School Board does a Live web Stream of their meetings. People online tune in just to watch them, they are a JOKE! Always arguing. And they are CLUELESS!

You get used to the heat and the rain and the mosquitoes and the hurricanes and the traffic...
BUT the people.. are RUDE! They have this whole "YOU OWE ME" attitude. If you are walking they will expect YOU to move, otherwise they run right into you. DO NOT attempt to shop in a Walmart in South Florida.. especially around the first of the month when everyone gets their food stamp ration. People break out into fights in the stores. Sometimes its.. "You sleepin' wit my baby's daddy" or "Why you be lookin at me like dat?"
or "Por que tu me tocas?"
It has truly become a turd (3rd) world city. There are very few pockets of town that are still ok. Just as long as you dont have to go shopping, you will be happy. If you are coming from New York or LA, it might be an improvement, but not much.
Just visiting will not show you the "real" Miami. Once you get your property tax bill and homeowners insurance bill (if you can get it.. only a couple companies will insure you here, which means they can charge you what they want.) Car insurance for my 2007 Honda civic that I drive 5 miles a day as a teacher with a perfect driving record and the LOWEST possible coverage Pip/pd/comp/coll is almost 900 a year. If you dont speak spanish you will have a hard time in So. Florida. While companies wont hire you if you dont spanish, you dont need to speak english to get the job.

My children are learning NOTHING in school. Not that the teacher's aren't good. Teachers in Dade are awesome, their problem is they have to slow down because of all the kids that are behind. My daughter had an "incident" at 4 years old... THEY ARE STARTING AT 4YEARS OLD!!!!!
Thats why 12 year olds are getting pregnant..and instead of itbeing a bad thing, they are exhaulted and made most popular. Boys brag that they got a girl pregnant.. or more than one..

Retirees are targeted by gangs as easy robbery targets.

The Florida Keys are still ok. expensive.. but ok.

Don't let the Beach lure you in either, South Beach is probably theworst beach in Florida. If you want to come to SoFlorida because or the weather, you will get good weather in Central Florida.

I will answer any questions about Miami. Just PM me. I will be impartial with information... no matter how much I dispise this palce.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:19 AM

8,376 posts, read 26,916,074 times
ZIP Code

No wonder you hate it here.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:09 AM

245 posts, read 1,045,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
ZIP Code

not everybody can afford to live in Weston,Fl...

Old 06-15-2009, 10:16 AM

2,113 posts, read 4,255,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kndwallace View Post
Florida is not what it used to be. I certainly isn't what you see in the movies! Not even CSI-Miami.. it;s WORSE! MUCH WORSE!

Jobs are easy to find. IF you speak Spanish... is you don't ..count on having an interview (because they have to) then never getting a call.

I am a teacher with Dade Schools. I will be giving up 13 years into my retirement to leave this pit of hell. And it will be worth it.. wanna know why??? The School Board hasnt given us a raise in 2 years (after 12 years in the system I make less than 40K), I pay nearly 7000 a year for health insurance, they just took two days pay from us to balance their budget that they "promise" to pay back... just like they promised us raises... The School Board does a Live web Stream of their meetings. People online tune in just to watch them, they are a JOKE! Always arguing. And they are CLUELESS!

You get used to the heat and the rain and the mosquitoes and the hurricanes and the traffic...
BUT the people.. are RUDE! They have this whole "YOU OWE ME" attitude. If you are walking they will expect YOU to move, otherwise they run right into you. DO NOT attempt to shop in a Walmart in South Florida.. especially around the first of the month when everyone gets their food stamp ration. People break out into fights in the stores. Sometimes its.. "You sleepin' wit my baby's daddy" or "Why you be lookin at me like dat?"
It has truly become a turd (3rd) world city. There are very few pockets of town that are still ok. Just as long as you dont have to go shopping, you will be happy. If you are coming from New York or LA, it might be an improvement, but not much.
Just visiting will not show you the "real" Miami. Once you get your property tax bill and homeowners insurance bill (if you can get it.. only a couple companies will insure you here, which means they can charge you what they want.) Car insurance for my 2007 Honda civic that I drive 5 miles a day as a teacher with a perfect driving record and the LOWEST possible coverage Pip/pd/comp/coll is almost 900 a year. If you dont speak spanish you will have a hard time in So. Florida. While companies wont hire you if you dont spanish, you dont need to speak english to get the job.

My children are learning NOTHING in school. Not that the teacher's aren't good. Teachers in Dade are awesome, their problem is they have to slow down because of all the kids that are behind. My daughter had an "incident" at 4 years old... THEY ARE STARTING AT 4YEARS OLD!!!!!
Thats why 12 year olds are getting pregnant..and instead of itbeing a bad thing, they are exhaulted and made most popular. Boys brag that they got a girl pregnant.. or more than one..

Don't let the Beach lure you in either, South Beach is probably theworst beach in Florida. If you want to come to SoFlorida because or the weather, you will get good weather in Central Florida.

I will answer any questions about Miami. Just PM me. I will be impartial with information... no matter how much I dispise this palce.

Here we go again with another bitter , malcontent .. slamming all of Florida over their dislike of South Florida or actually Miami ... BS with the Spanish issue ,as that is only applicable to Miami ... I find that people like this hate South Florida if they have low paying jobs and live in the not so "desirable " areas ... if you live in areas like Cooper City , Weston , Parkland , Boca , SW Ranches , Davie , most of Pembroke Pines you will not feel this way .. you said it yourself , you are a teacher in the Dade School System so why are you slamming all of Florida on the Ft.Lauderdale forum and it is no wonder that the Dade school system sucks ..... with positive rosy outlooks and attitudes from teachers like you .... no wonder !!!

Impartial my eye !!!

Old 06-15-2009, 10:17 AM

2,113 posts, read 4,255,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
ZIP Code

Where is that .. da hood ?

Old 06-15-2009, 11:23 AM

3,043 posts, read 6,617,623 times
Now that I'm getting out more on Citydata, I've found the only other places that have as many malcontents is Los Angeles and Detroit. I haven't visited, but Id be willing to bet Las Vegas and Phoenix are pretty miserable too. I think it's all related to high unemployment and the massive amount of foreclosures. Everyone gets the sense that they're living in a loser place, even if they're not personally unemployed or in foreclosure. And, since one in 8 mortgages are now running late in this country, you know most of those are around these areas. A lot of worried people out there.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:00 PM

2,671 posts, read 5,339,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kndwallace View Post

Let me see how I can put this nicely . I'm not too fond of Florida myself. It's not my favorite place on Earth, but you have to admit all things are not that bad. We're all human and at one time or another we may want to vent. Reading your post I see more personal issues than State related issues. I understand you are venting, but these are reflections of your personal life not Florida per se.

Language Barrier Issues:

I will give you the whole language barrier issue in Miami. To some, it can get annoying fast. People like me learn it/practice it to get around or you can chose to ignore it. As annoying as it may seem, you have choices and ways around it.

I don't like the arrogance or stares when I tell some people I dont speak it (fluently), but I do like the reciprocity I get when I speak some, and the person meets me half way trying to say some words in English to clarify things.

Advice:
Embrace a negative with a positive, and the results can be positve most of the time. (I tell that to my students all the time.)

Let me go at it, step by step:

YOUR JOB:

The issue with DCPS is unfortunate. I have been watching what's been going on and it's sad. Issues with mismanagement, property tax, budget cuts etc can put a damper on things. With the economy the way it is, things are not looking good. I feel your pain. I'm with BCPS myself. It's not all rosy. Like everyone else, tighten your belt and deal with the ride. At least you have work. There are plenty of people who would love to have a job to complain about. Be thankful.

The whole people fighting in stores is a bit of an exaggeration. I'm not saying it does not exist, but let's be real. It happens in plenty of places. I do agree that South Florida does have a lot of tasteless people, but in life, pick your battles or zip codes .
I'm also curious, how do you know about people and their food stamp ration date? .....I'll let that one slide.

3RD WORLD CITY...
While there is some validity that many parts of South Florida will remind you of a third world city, the funny thing is that most people in this country (and City-Data) have yet to step foot in one. I guess the travel channel is people's guide about what a 3rd world city is like.

Property Taxes:
You are so right. It is a killer. If you dont want to deal with it, rent or move. That's just advice. I know it's annoying and you feel like you're getting the shaft. Your taxes increase, and the services decrease. We're eye to eye on that one . I'd suggest you move. That's an option people in this country should be fortunate to have. There are so many different places one can move to and enjoy. Look at things on the bright side, and plan a move. You only live once, so make the best of every situation, whether good or bad.

INSURANCE:
Shop around and compare rates. Go online and see what competitors are quoting. I know it's not cheap here, but ever tried insurance in NYC? Check the rates, then we'll chat.

Your kids learning nothing in school:
You're a teacher and a parent. Looks like you have work to do. Either that or ask that they get on an accelerated program or private school. You have choices. Don't stay idle and complain. They're not getting smarter with you on the sidelines not doing anything about it.

And finally....Stop watching CSI...It's a show. Not reality.

My advice to all: Do your research, travel to the city you're interested in, establish contacts/networks before moving. Don't buy a house as soon as you move. Give it some time. And of course, it's sensible to get both sides of the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area