Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 02:19 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,791,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Where is that .. da hood ?
Homestead...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 02:31 PM

20 posts, read 44,191 times
*laughs* You need to set your Rose colored glasses to the side for a moment.
NOT ALL OF FLORIDA IS GOOD. and also not all is Bad.. duh. like anywhere. Sadly just a much larger portion of Miami.. is bad.
People moving here need to know that!
As for the language thing.. I SPEAK SPANISH.. I don't have a problem communicting.

*To the BCS teacher... I worked in BCS, and I kick myself in the butt everyday that I left.

Your kids learning nothing in school:
You're a teacher and a parent. Looks like you have work to do. Either that or ask that they get on an accelerated program or private school. You have choices. Don't stay idle and complain. They're not getting smarter with you on the sidelines not doing anything about it.

My kids go to the same school I teach in and STILL am unsatisfied! Im NOT staying Idle.. I'm getting the heck outta here! I can't afford Private School.. Im a teacher.. remember? I dont sit on the sidelines.. I teach them at home, it's all I can do right now.

And finally....Stop watching CSI...It's a show. Not reality. .....uh.. DUH! That was my point!? PEOPLE WATCH IT.. I was saying it wasnt reality..

I know it's not cheap here, but ever tried insurance in NYC? Check the rates, then we'll chat.

I know NYC is more expensive, that is why people from NYC are usually happy here.. lesser of two evils..

South Florida is not what it used to be. It has changed.. as things do...
I don't like the change, so I'm leaving. If you don't mind it.. LUCKY YOU..
There is something for everyone. I can see how some people's situations can allow them to live here and be happy, it's a beautiful place. However, personally.. I feel if you are on a moderate income and can't afford those areas that make you like this place, and allow your kids to go to the "right schools", this might not be the area for you.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:42 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,056,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Now that I'm getting out more on Citydata, I've found the only other places that have as many malcontents is Los Angeles and Detroit. I haven't visited, but Id be willing to bet Las Vegas and Phoenix are pretty miserable too. I think it's all related to high unemployment and the massive amount of foreclosures. Everyone gets the sense that they're living in a loser place, even if they're not personally unemployed or in foreclosure. And, since one in 8 mortgages are now running late in this country, you know most of those are around these areas. A lot of worried people out there.
Actually you hit it right on the head ... Miami , Los Angeles , Phoenix , Detroit and in that order it seems !!!

Old 06-15-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Homestead...

Jeez , no wonder ... I would dislike it down here too !!!

Old 06-15-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Let me see how I can put this nicely . I'm not too fond of Florida myself. It's not my favorite place on Earth, but you have to admit all things are not that bad. We're all human and at one time or another we may want to vent. Reading your post I see more personal issues than State related issues. I understand you are venting, but these are reflections of your personal life not Florida per se.

Language Barrier Issues:
I will give you the whole language barrier issue in Miami. To some, it can get annoying fast. People like me learn it/practice it to get around or you can chose to ignore it. As annoying as it may seem, you have choices and ways around it.

I don't like the arrogance or stares when I tell some people I dont speak it (fluently), but I do like the reciprocity I get when I speak some, and the person meets me half way trying to say some words in English to clarify things.

Advice:
Embrace a negative with a positive, and the results can be positve most of the time. (I tell that to my students all the time.)

Let me go at it, step by step:

YOUR JOB:
The issue with DCPS is unfortunate. I have been watching what's been going on and it's sad. Issues with mismanagement, property tax, budget cuts etc can put a damper on things. With the economy the way it is, things are not looking good. I feel your pain. I'm with BCPS myself. It's not all rosy. Like everyone else, tighten your belt and deal with the ride. At least you have work. There are plenty of people who would love to have a job to complain about. Be thankful.

The whole people fighting in stores is a bit of an exaggeration. I'm not saying it does not exist, but let's be real. It happens in plenty of places. I do agree that South Florida does have a lot of tasteless people, but in life, pick your battles or zip codes .
I'm also curious, how do you know about people and their food stamp ration date? .....I'll let that one slide.

3RD WORLD CITY...
While there is some validity that many parts of South Florida will remind you of a third world city, the funny thing is that most people in this country (and City-Data) have yet to step foot in one. I guess the travel channel is people's guide about what a 3rd world city is like.

Property Taxes:
You are so right. It is a killer. If you dont want to deal with it, rent or move. That's just advice. I know it's annoying and you feel like you're getting the shaft. Your taxes increase, and the services decrease. We're eye to eye on that one . I'd suggest you move. That's an option people in this country should be fortunate to have. There are so many different places one can move to and enjoy. Look at things on the bright side, and plan a move. You only live once, so make the best of every situation, whether good or bad.

INSURANCE:
Shop around and compare rates. Go online and see what competitors are quoting. I know it's not cheap here, but ever tried insurance in NYC? Check the rates, then we'll chat.

You're a teacher and a parent. Looks like you have work to do. Either that or ask that they get on an accelerated program or private school. You have choices. Don't stay idle and complain. They're not getting smarter with you on the sidelines not doing anything about it.

And finally....Stop watching CSI...It's a show. Not reality.

My advice to all: Do your research, travel to the city you're interested in, establish contacts/networks before moving. Don't buy a house as soon as you move. Give it some time. And of course, it's sensible to get both sides of the story.

Damn good balanced post .... kudos to you !!!

Old 06-15-2009, 11:51 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,398,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Damn good balanced post .... kudos to you !!!

Thank you Sir Newman, .

Old 06-16-2009, 12:02 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,398,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kndwallace View Post
*laughs* You need to set your Rose colored glasses to the side for a moment.
NOT ALL OF FLORIDA IS GOOD. and also not all is Bad.. duh. like anywhere. Sadly just a much larger portion of Miami.. is bad.
People moving here need to know that!
As for the language thing.. I SPEAK SPANISH.. I don't have a problem communicting.

*To the BCS teacher... I worked in BCS, and I kick myself in the butt everyday that I left.

My kids go to the same school I teach in and STILL am unsatisfied! Im NOT staying Idle.. I'm getting the heck outta here! I can't afford Private School.. Im a teacher.. remember? I dont sit on the sidelines.. I teach them at home, it's all I can do right now.

And finally....Stop watching CSI...It's a show. Not reality. .....uh.. DUH! That was my point!? PEOPLE WATCH IT.. I was saying it wasnt reality..

I know it's not cheap here, but ever tried insurance in NYC? Check the rates, then we'll chat.

I know NYC is more expensive, that is why people from NYC are usually happy here.. lesser of two evils..

South Florida is not what it used to be. It has changed.. as things do...
I don't like the change, so I'm leaving. If you don't mind it.. LUCKY YOU..
There is something for everyone. I can see how some people's situations can allow them to live here and be happy, it's a beautiful place. However, personally.. I feel if you are on a moderate income and can't afford those areas that make you like this place, and allow your kids to go to the "right schools", this might not be the area for you.

Repeating "Duh" over and over sounds sophomoric. Please don't tell me you act like that around your students. I'll ignore the constant "DUHs".

However, I put in bold what the underlying issue is with you. It's the lack of money. You're not alone. I don't care for South Florida myself, and while it does not have the charm of some places I'd rather be in, I prefer to make the best of it. If it were up to me, this would be a place I come to 2-3 times a year. It's in the process though. I am moving next year. Where are you from and where were do you plan on moving to? Just asking.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:23 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,651,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
ZIP Code

No wonder you hate it here.
If the zip code was 33331 I am sure it would be a lot better!

Old 06-18-2009, 11:07 AM

50 posts, read 167,679 times
I would like to remind those who say Floridians aren't friendly, thisthatandtheother, etc., that MOST of the people who call Florida home AREN'T natives. That means MOST people are from somewhere else. I AM a native, by the way, at least by four or five generations.

Last I checked, only 13 percent of the state are natives and I'm sure that number has dwindled over the years. I'm tired of people coming here and bashing Florida. Bottom line is you came here and didn't make it or didn't want to make it. You couldn't get a handle on how to navigate this place and that's your problem. It's OK. Just leave and find a place for you. But keep in mind that wherever you go, you must adapt. You want to move? Well, make a true effort to enjoy the place you move to. Why move for the same thing? If you wanted the same living situation, you could have just stayed where you were.

Don't come down here comparing D.C or NY to Florida. We're tired of it.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parle75 View Post
I would like to remind those who say Floridians aren't friendly, thisthatandtheother, etc., that MOST of the people who call Florida home AREN'T natives. That means MOST people are from somewhere else. I AM a native, by the way, at least by four or five generations.

Last I checked, only 13 percent of the state are natives and I'm sure that number has dwindled over the years. I'm tired of people coming here and bashing Florida. Bottom line is you came here and didn't make it or didn't want to make it. You couldn't get a handle on how to navigate this place and that's your problem. It's OK. Just leave and find a place for you. But keep in mind that wherever you go, you must adapt. You want to move? Well, make a true effort to enjoy the place you move to. Why move for the same thing? If you wanted the same living situation, you could have just stayed where you were.

Don't come down here comparing D.C or NY to Florida. We're tired of it.
I am from NYC originally but we have been coming down to Florida every year since I was a kid and I am now in my mid forties ... I have now lived here for almost fifteen years and I agree with you .. I remember meeting many native Floridians in Palm Beach , Broward and Dade Counties and thinking that they were all friendly and down to earth people ... yes Florida in many respects has been tarnished by some of the transplants from the North East , Latin America and The Caribbean that have moved here in the last twenty five years ... unfortunately most of the native Floridians that we knew have gone out of state .. and yes so true that the most of the naysayers on this forum are not native Floridian .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area