Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2009, 04:01 PM

3 posts, read 7,407 times

Advertisements

Im a singe 21 year old female from MD is is interested in relocating to the sunshine state. Ive only been to Orlando, St. Cloud, Kissimmee and Miami, thats why i'm choosing between central and south fl. Im looking for a SAFE, inexpensive area not too far from the pretty water. For any of you who have lived or are familiar with both areas, please compare the two! Which has higher crime rates, better job opportunities, cheaper rent, etc. Give it to me!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 05:54 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,494,917 times
You will not find cheap rents in either place. South Florida will provide you better job opportunities and slightly higher wages. But both places are hurting job wise at the moment. I would recommend South Florida for a overall better way of life. Also consider Jacksonville in your search as rents are very low there and job opportunities are decent.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:03 PM

13 posts, read 41,386 times
I'm not sure about Orlando but Ft. Lauderdale is getting crazy.
If you've got the money, Lighthouse point is beautiful, near the water, and feels like a small community (you can walk from your house to grocery store).
Parts of Coral Springs are nice, as is Plantation acres. Both of those are further from the beach though. Parts of Hollywood are nice (near the beach and condos are safe)
I agree, pay is probably better in south fla. But rent is high and traffic is getting bad. Another personal issue I have is the lack of english speaking people in south fla. I have no problem with many cultures - but if you're gonna live in the usa - speak the language!
Sorry, back on point...don't live in Lauderdhill, Overtown, Liberty City, Little Haiti - pretty much lots of areas in dade county (in my opinion) are getting bad unless you have $$.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:27 PM

88 posts, read 366,205 times
inexpensive and south florida shouldnt be used in the same sentence..lol rent on average STARTS @ $1200.. but its hit or miss depending what u find. it will be more cheaper to live inland (miami lakes, pembroke pines, miramar ect) or just find a roomate (WITH a secure job.. lol) anywhere you live in SoFla you will be close (less than 15min) from the beach... beats that 3hour drive that you take to Ocean city MD or jersey shore! South florida has the higher crime.. higher income higher traffic... One gripe i have is.. when you are looking for a job in south florida..(miami & FLL) if you dont speak spanish.. you will have the hardest time finding a job.. this totally SUCKS! what people from up north need to know (im from nj so i learned this) Up north we make the $$$$ but we cant enjoy it 6 months out of the year because of the stinkin weather.. In FL you will make ALOT less... but the florida Lifestyle is what makes it more than worth it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area