U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-16-2009, 08:11 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,961,884 times
Thank you Tankev, if you don't mind me asking where did you move from before going to Weston? Did you come from the north (NY)? This has really been a big help and I really do appreciate all the advice everyone gives. The Family I have there does not know the area well enough to suggest anything. They know enough to tell me that they have heard Weston, Davie, Coral Springs, Cooper City and Parkland are very good areas to rais kids in because of the schools. Wish me luck guys on that job opportunity.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 06:48 AM

188 posts, read 352,224 times
Chelsa1075,
I have lived up North for a total of 15 years, in South Jersey (Washington Twp) and in PA outside of Allentown. But I lived in FL until I was in my mid 20's. (Plantation, in Broward Co. as a little girl and mainly the Tampa area.) I knew what was involved in moving back to Florida but I will tell you I was not prepared for the changes and growth of South Florida. The transition has been easier than I thought. And my boys have adjusted well. (they are pre teen and teenage) It is very important that you visit the area to find out where you want to be. I would suggest renting before buying. And as everyone has said, Do not come without a job or a least a prospect of a job. We would have never moved down without my husband being offered a very good job. Also remember the weather is great right now but 80% of the time it is hot and humid. Make sure you visit during the hot time which should be coming up very soon!

Old 01-17-2009, 02:01 PM

Thanks again Tankev - you livein the Weston area right? sorry, I have been getting information from so many people I can't keep my head on straight. I appreciate your honesty and being positive. I have to stay positive and hope that the job I need to make the move there. I have decided to rent on the chance that I don't like Florida, but i will give my self a minimum of 1 year to decide that factor. I doubt the housing market will have goe up much by then.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:21 PM

Chelsa1075,
Yes, we live in Weston. On the Northern side. I think we are in one of the first areas built (The Springs) There are 3 or 4 developments considered part of The Springs. We are enjoying it. It is different than your northern areas but in a good way. There are plenty of places, homes and apts. for rent. We rented an apartment with animals so if you have them, that won't be a problem. I was just as worried about this move as you are now. Just get your job situation sorted out and you and your family will be fine.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:09 PM

Thanks for the encouraging words. Do you know anything about Coral Springs area, i want to know if that area is just as good as Weston. Depending where I work, that is when i will decide on housing. Miami is doable from Weston and Boca is doable from Coral Springs. I hope things are on my side when it comes to finding the job.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:37 AM

Chelsa
I don't know anything about Coral Springs except it is about 10 minutes north of Weston. I drove through once and it looks very nice. I have seen a lot of posts, mostly good about the area. Maybe you can search the old posts.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:13 PM

I will do just that thank you, I think I may start a thread asking to compare the 2 cities.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:45 AM

10 posts, read 11,819 times
Default daycares in broward co

I just moved to broward and I am looking for a reputable day care center to put my 2 year old. I live in Lauderhill area.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:36 PM

kmydesire - my sister-in-law has her daughter in a school that she absolutely loves, it is not the newest school and I'm not sure how close to you the school is, but I will ask the name fo the school and get back to you with the information.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:33 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,119,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegolfer View Post
Ruski,

We are in the manatee bay elementary zone. My kid will attend the school in a couple of years. I heard that manatee bay is overcrowded. How bad is it compared with other Weston schools?

I guess some classes are held in portables, but I don't think it is as big a problem as other schools. Even considering that some kids come to Manatee Bay from Davie and Southwest Ranches.

My kids never mention anything about overcrowding. My wife subs at Manatee Bay and she hasn't said anything either.

I think Gator Run is more overcrowded. That's the other elementary school near us, actually closer to us than Manatee Bay, but we got zoned for MB.

My kids love MB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area