U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 12:25 PM

789 posts, read 2,144,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
You are funny Fauve, my husband and I make a combined salary of about 165K, however, you have to understand we are taxed out of the wazoo here. I make about 3400 every 2 weeks, I come home with 1900 - yes you heard right just about half and NOOOOOOOOOOO, I do not get most of that back in taxes, I get little if anything back. I like most of america, have a car payment, my husband has a Motorcycle and we pay car insurance on 2 cars totaling about 450 dollars on all of the vehicles and bike. And then of course every day expenses, like train fare and lunch (if we don't make it - which we are doing every day now in preparation for the move down there), that can cost you about 10$ a day. It sounds like a lot, but believe me at the end of the day it really isn't. Have I mentioned the pot holes the size of cars that if you hit them, you could easily end up in NJ, oh and the fare hikes, with the cut backs in service and the best is putting tolls on all the east river crossings! I could have a 3 bedroom with W/D and amenities if I were willing to pay 2500 a month plus all utilities. All that sounds really awsome right. I thought about your suggestions before and am still mulling them over, but there is nothing worse than holland tunnel traffic in bad weather and that is really the only way to get to Jersey and I really can't afford Westchester, it is more expensive and I would have to pay the rediculous 300$ a month for Metro North, because the 125$ a week I pay to the city, just to live in the boroughs is not enough. We really don't have the rent to own deals here except in undesirable neighborhoods (places I would never live)! You know woodside and it isn't that great, but I have a nice apartment, but small and by boys are outgrowing the room. The one nice thing that I do have is a garage, but I wouldn't really need that there. Thank you for your honesty, now you understand why I am so aprehensive about leaving. I can't leave without a decent paying job waiting for me.

Have you ever looked into Great Neck our out that way. Haven't been there in ages, but it use to be nice in the early 80's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 12:31 PM

Hold on Chelseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

In that income bracket U WILL be able to get a nice house in Jorsey... My old neighbors, recently took a job transfer to NYC. And r cutom building a house there at a steal since the market drop. Let me find out the area, brb.. and the commute to the city is not bad.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:41 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,636,198 times
LOL - thanks - I'm not sure I'm a Jersey girl, but I'm willing to consider it. It is difficult, because everything I know and am comfortable with will be so close, but still so far, if you know what I mean. Plus, I have looked up Jersey and the prices of the homes are OKAY (not great), but what you get for your money is awful and the neigborhoods are tricky there as well.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
LOL - thanks - I'm not sure I'm a Jersey girl, but I'm willing to consider it. It is difficult, because everything I know and am comfortable with will be so close, but still so far, if you know what I mean. Plus, I have looked up Jersey and the prices of the homes are OKAY (not great), but what you get for your money is awful and the neigborhoods are tricky there as well.
This is a new area, somewhat rural and I rem' him saying the commute on the Mark was 1.5 hours to Wall St. They love it, just can't think of the area right now. They have kids your age and spoke highly of the schools system.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:57 PM

I know schools in Jersey typically tend to be good, but I really don't want to be that far away. I know that I can't have everything, but if I have to travel 1.5 hours, I'd rather it be in my own car, where I feel more in control. - It is a hard situation all the way around. My problem is not leaving my salary behind, my problem is not getting a decent paying job there. I'm not sure what to believe. On one hand I have people saying that I will never make in the 50's and on the other I had someone this morning say that her husband pays that to his assistants who had the same experience as me. I won't know until I take the trip there to scout agancies. I will only know then really what it is all about. Until then, I plan to look at the sun sentinel every day in hopes that the jobs become more plentiful.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:58 PM

3,043 posts, read 6,446,212 times
I think the tax problem will solve itself once you start paying a mortgage and stop renting. It really is the best tax deduction (next to kids)!

Old 01-16-2009, 01:05 PM

You are right however, the real estate in NY hasn't taken quite the hit that Florida has, things are still pretty unattainable. I think that the people selling these homes are unaware of the recession/depression that our country is in, because I don't really consider a attached 3 bedroom house (I think Floridians call these town homes) that was built in 1909 and hasn't been updated with 1 bathroom and rooms the size of a walk-in-closet (in a florida apartment, nevermind a home) for 558K a deal, let me know if you think I'm wrong. Oh and did I mention that comes with no back yard because it is a common driveway and NO Amenities, so no pool, no nothing!!

Old 01-16-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I know schools in Jersey typically tend to be good, but I really don't want to be that far away. I know that I can't have everything, but if I have to travel 1.5 hours, I'd rather it be in my own car, where I feel more in control. - It is a hard situation all the way around. My problem is not leaving my salary behind, my problem is not getting a decent paying job there. I'm not sure what to believe. On one hand I have people saying that I will never make in the 50's and on the other I had someone this morning say that her husband pays that to his assistants who had the same experience as me. I won't know until I take the trip there to scout agancies. I will only know then really what it is all about. Until then, I plan to look at the sun sentinel every day in hopes that the jobs become more plentiful.
1.5 hours driving = wear-n-tear on the body; on the train u can put ur make up, get ur beauty sleep, read a good book, relax while u know ur kids are getting a good education...blah blah...AND still have ur job.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:09 PM

you are funny - i am so happy I found this sight it is really teaching me a lot and making me think. There are going to be pluses and/or minuses in what ever route I take. I just hope at this point that my husband and I make the best decision for our family. Lord knows I don't want little jerks for children.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
you are funny - i am so happy I found this sight it is really teaching me a lot and making me think. There are going to be pluses and/or minuses in what ever route I take. I just hope at this point that my husband and I make the best decision for our family. Lord knows I don't want little jerks for children.
My 2 cents - stay put. Now is not a good time to move, we haven't seen the bottom as yet.

I was all ready to move this year, but decided to put it on hold. I will continue to visit; let's c - I be there in March, Mother's Day Weekend and a wedding on June 27th; that should keep the thirst satisfied for a bit.

In the meantime u guys down there, go by Cool Runnings and email me a Curry Goat dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area