Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 12:35 PM

294 posts, read 1,148,858 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Just curious if anyone here is familiar with the commute from Pembroke Pines to Hialeah using Okeechobee Road (US 27) during rush hour. We may be buying in the area (near Chapel Trail Nature Reserve) within the year, and so we were just curious if US 27 would be a viable alternative to the dreaded 75/Palmetto.

We've driven from Okeechobee through Hialeah Gardens (not during rush hour though), and it seemed like a safe enough route (for So Fla standards).

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 12:36 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Okeechobee Rd is smooth sailing through Hialeah ever since they fixed it. It's not only a viable alternative, but a great alternative. If you meant "safe" as far as crime, you go through an extremely rural area until reaching Medley. Also, unlike in most of Broward County, the lights are synced properly, which definitely makes the trip a little faster then even going down Pines Blvd to hit 75.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 01-22-2009 at 12:44 PM..

Old 01-22-2009, 01:19 PM

294 posts, read 1,148,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Okeechobee Rd is smooth sailing through Hialeah ever since they fixed it. It's not only a viable alternative, but a great alternative. If you meant "safe" as far as crime, you go through an extremely rural area until reaching Medley. Also, unlike in most of Broward County, the lights are synced properly, which definitely makes the trip a little faster then even going down Pines Blvd to hit 75.
Compelled - just the info I was looking for. Thank you. By safe, LOL, I actually meant safe in a non 'Krome Avenue' kind of way, if you know what I mean.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:58 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
It's not crowded at all, I used to drive around there a lot, but I'm not sure how safe it is. I could be wrong but I believe it has a median division and 2 lanes to each side, all the way to Pines Blvd. I think this makes it way safer than Krome.

Krome ave is just a horrible road between Okeechobee and SW 184 st. I cant' still get over an accident I saw there where 2 people died.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:16 AM

392 posts, read 1,260,834 times
Good safe road all the way into Hialeah from the Pines. You just need to be vigilant around the Okeechobee / Turnpike interchange where you get the Gravel Dump Trucks entering and exiting and think because they're bigger they own the road.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:13 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
You car will sure be very dirty.

I commuted on US-27 from Doral to Weston for 3 years.

There are no usual exit/entrance ramps, so you have to watch out for people who may blow a stop sign and fly out into the roadway.

Many people commute on US-27.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:31 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthAfrica75 View Post
Good safe road all the way into Hialeah from the Pines. You just need to be vigilant around the Okeechobee / Turnpike interchange where you get the Gravel Dump Trucks entering and exiting and think because they're bigger they own the road.
Yeah that interchange is weird, sometimes I think I'm going against traffic, when I take the turnpike on Okeechobee rd. It scares the hell out of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area