Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 03:15 PM

976 posts, read 1,103,439 times

Advertisements

Mob of angry bicyclists charged with assault on Delray Beach driver: 'I didn't even know it was coming' (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2009/08/20/0820_cyclist.html?imw=Y - broken link) - a guy in his Lexus convertible "honks" at the cyclists to let them know he was passing them? I dont buy it. He got impatient I guarantee. I dont understand why people in cars act like this when they know people on a bike are a heck of a lot more vulnerable. Witnesses say the man in the Lexus hit one of the bikers as he passed the group, but hasn't been confirmed yet.

BSO: Hit-and-run driver kills woman in Dania Beach - Breaking News - Broward - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/broward/breaking-news/story/1196365.html - broken link) - this story is very sad.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:43 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,971,669 times
^^ there is more to this story coming out today, but as a bicycle commuter, I knew there was before this....
The angry old man admits he might have 'bumped' the back wheel of the bike when they were stopped.
Its a bad situation for everybody. Some of the roadies are very arrogant and dont abide by the rules of law or common courtesy, but on the flip side, car drivers are way more violent towards bicycles and act on it regularly. Neither car nor bikes tend to obey the laws but the difference is bikes dont hit and kill stuff, regularly.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:13 PM

^^^ Yup, that was my point really. These guys are on bikes and this man in his Lexus convertible is a 3000lb (or whatever weight) vehicle. You dont mess with people on bikes.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:18 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,316,506 times
i bike a lot and i've been clipped, fortunately without serious incident (knock, um, pavement?). motor vehicle drivers are required to give bikes 3 feet of clearance when passing but rarely do and they likely don't even know the law. most, like the last one who clipped me, are pretty much brain dead. but as the saying goes, you can't (or shouldn't) beat a brain dead driver, or something like that.

the true shame of this story is not the driver's poorly executed pass nor the cyclists' resultant poor behavior but rather the palm beach post's poor judgment in passing opportunity to educate readers that florida law requires automobiles give bikes a safety margin of 3 feet when passing.

please share the road. thank you.

http://www.sharetheroad.org/lawenf/LEG604onl.pdf (broken link)

Quote:
Driver's Handbook recommends that a motorist passing a cyclist maintain a clearance of 3 feet.
Bike safety law in effect | HeraldTribune.com | Sarasota Florida | Southwest Florida's Information Leader

Quote:
A state law went into effect Oct. 1 to protect Poyner and other bicyclists, requiring drivers to leave at least a 3-foot gap when passing bicyclists. Drivers who break the law may be fined.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:57 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,004,034 times
Wow. I'm lucky if I get a one foot gap. Just as long as they don't hit me or ride my tail forever.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:40 AM

443 posts, read 889,489 times
Sorry, but I just don't get the whole idea of a bunch of grown men dressing up in Lance Armstrong costumes and riding 4 or 5 abreast in a regular traffic lane where the speed limit is 40 mph, holding up a line of cars behind them. I've also seen them riding in the regular car lane when there's a perfectly adequate bike lane on the side of the road. Instead of riding within its lines, they ride just left of the line, then they get pissed when we honk? Gimme a break.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:45 AM

Respect the riders. They are everywhere, in cities and states across America. But in S FL it's pretty evident that the dont get the same respect. People are rude, impatient, honk and curse, and even hit them. But it's S FL, why would they think this wouldn't be an issue?

Old 08-25-2009, 11:55 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,806,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
Respect the riders. They are everywhere, in cities and states across America. But in S FL it's pretty evident that the dont get the same respect. People are rude, impatient, honk and curse, and even hit them. But it's S FL, why would they think this wouldn't be an issue?
Because it's South Florida the cyclists are also rude and are probably riding to their next burglary site. Then they are going to cut in front of you at Publix and start speaking Spanish to the rude cashier.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:35 PM

157 posts, read 485,886 times
Default passing bicyclists

I admire the bicycle riders and realize no matter how rude they may be, they are on a 25 pound bicycle and I am in a 2500 pound car. This obligates me to respect the rider or else cause death or serious injury. I Wish I could join them. But the problem I have is passing bicyclists on a narrow two lane road with no bicycle lane, like Orange Drive, just when a line of cars are coming from the other direction. If I courteously pass the bicyclist I risk a head on collision with other cars coming from the other direction. To avoid this I don`t pass the bicyclist until the line of cars from the other direction is gone. In the meantime I am following this bicyclist at 25 mph with a line of irritated motorists honking their horns at me because the speed limit is 45 and most people go even faster.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:48 PM

[quote=compelled to reply;10444946]Because it's South Florida the cyclists are also rude and are probably riding to their next burglary site. PROBABLY NOT. Then they are going to cut in front of you at Publix and start speaking Spanish to the rude cashier. PROBABLY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area