U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 03:30 PM

26 posts, read 66,759 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to figure out what to do. Rent from an individual and risk them foreclosing? Rent an apartment and not like the complex. I was looking in Plantation and Davie at apartment complexes. They seem to be in good school zones. For every one positive thing I find, I get 4 negative finds. Talk about discouraging. I have to move though- the job is there.
Does anyone have any apartment recommendations?
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 05:27 PM

88 posts, read 294,975 times
if i were you.. Due to the economic times.. i would rent an apartment complex.... it would also be better to do month to month or 6 month leases , INcase something happens at your job (GOD please forbid!!)

Old 01-30-2009, 06:26 PM

Thanks. I really am not worried about the job situation. My husband is a construction manager, so once it is started it has to be finished. I am more worried about living somewhere, then having it be foreclosed on and having to move. There is always something bad about the apartment complexes- I think you have to take it with a grain of salt. We are used to not parking directly in front of our house. In NYC we would park Blocks away.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:29 PM

88 posts, read 294,975 times
im originally from Jersey City so i know what you mean... But seriously.. Florida is #1... yes #1 in forclosures.. when we moved from jersey we started in an apartment complex.. just to get a feel for Broward / Dade county... after the lease was over (1 yr) we knew our way around town and picked a better neighborhood.. and Parking is NEVER an issue in south florida (might have issues in down towl FTL and MIA)

Old 02-05-2009, 06:29 PM

6,968 posts, read 14,502,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbmommy View Post
Thanks. I really am not worried about the job situation. My husband is a construction manager, so once it is started it has to be finished. I am more worried about living somewhere, then having it be foreclosed on and having to move. There is always something bad about the apartment complexes- I think you have to take it with a grain of salt. We are used to not parking directly in front of our house. In NYC we would park Blocks away.
the ONLY good thing about private owner. Now you can get LOW rents right. Enough so that you could save up each month and if you have to move you have enough money up to go get another place quickly. But then the hassle of moving comes into play

Old 02-06-2009, 08:33 AM

Doncorleyone- I have to laugh, I watched "The Godfather" for the first time last night. I was like- hey- that's Staten Island!
People are complaining on the apartment rating sites about not getting a spot directly in front of their door. Even here in Long Beach getting a spot on my own street is lucky.
My husband's company moves us the first time, what a luxury. When we moved from NYC to Long Beach we did it ourselves. For only living in a state 3 years it would be so nice to stay in the same place. In NYC they raised our rent $500 dollars a month, so we had no choice but to move. It was the best decision we made. I have been watching private owner rentals on Craigslist and things that were $2000 in October can now be had for $1600 at the highest. I am amazed, but scared. Have those people been paying their mortgages. It's just a risk I am not willing to take I think.
Anyone have any complex suggestions? We are thinking Plantation or maybe Pembroke Pines. I don't know anything about the second one. My husband is working in Little Havana, but I don't get a good feel on Miami-Dade schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area